corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » plumbing and heating engineer help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author plumbing and heating engineer help
Bullet Proof SRi

User status: Offline
16th Jun 13 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well after buying my first home and slowly moving forward with renovations I cant decide if to keep the old back boiler or to replace with a combi.

My sisters house has a back boiler that runs hassle free and her energy bills are not insane as some people say back boilers are vary inefficient.

My question is do I keep the current back boiler or replace will I be making a huge saving long term or will servicing or possible combi problems add a lot of cost

2 bedroom house, running 5 rads just in case that helps at all
mattk

User status: Offline
17th Jun 13 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Parts for the old back boilers are becoming obsolete, even the newest ones will be getting on for 15+ years old now. They are inefficient, and only get worse without regular servicing, so factor in about £50 - £90 a year for a service. I generally say if its working then by all means leave it alone.

However, should you choose to leave it in then replacing it at a later date will be a large and messy job, I don't know what state the house is in at the moment.

The combi is more eco friendly no doubt about it, You only pay for the hot water that comes out the tap rather than heating the full hot water tanks worth, only to then use half of it.

Modern combis don't need servicing, an inspection doesn't do them any harm, I just do a visual and put the flue gas analyser in the see if its burning correctly, so serviving isn't as expensive. Most makers offer a 5 year warranty too.

If its only 5 rads too a full new heating shouldn't be that expensive.

The back boiler will need attention one day, its just whether you want to spend the money now or later

New Poll