corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Work situation...

Poll: Work situation...
Stay as a technician with the awesome office! 5 (45.45%)
Take the risk and see if you can join physics... 6 (54.55%)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Work situation...
kz

User status: Offline
21st Jun 13 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just a general thing I've been thinking about... bit of a back story first. I work in radiotherapy as a linear accelerator technician.

Had been there a few years and someone from the physics department came to me asking if I wanted to join their team, including a £5k pay rise. Obviously I said yes.

I won't go into detail as it's boring but a few things happened and basically they were taking ages to get anything sorted, like over 6 months. Then my technician boss asked if I wanted to just say in my current role, but get the same pay rise.

I said yes.

Here's the thing... it's been a couple of months now and I can't help but feel I made the wrong decision. To be honest I think the main reason I've stayed as a technician is because I have a great office! Loads of light and space, and I pretty much have the best seat in the building.

But job wise, I would have preferred the physics job. I like the work more and it would mean I could lose the pager, which I hate carrying. I'm not sure what to do...

Was thinking of leaving it a year then seeing how I feel and possibly approaching physics again. But what if the grass ain't greener? And I could be in a shit office lol. Sorry for the essay...

Any ideas!?
Colin

21st Jun 13 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best to give something a go rather than wish you had for years to come!
Bart

21st Jun 13 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally, Id stay where you are, you have it good and you enjoy the job.

why risk it? you don't know if the grass is greener on the other side and it might make a difficult environment if you wanted to return back.
jimmy 2.1

21st Jun 13 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have a Linac at work. Its a pain in the arse to repair when it (often) goes down!

Anyway, I'd take the risk. Do you want to be sat in your nice office in a few years time regretting not doing something you wanted to for fear of it not being what you thought?
Cavey

21st Jun 13 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can get paid the same for something you'd enjoy more then go for that.

Not many people get paid well and enjoy their work.
Ronson

22nd Jun 13 at 01:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck it, you only live once!
fred7

22nd Jun 13 at 06:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above take the risk and go for it. Dont be 5 years down the line thinking what if i took the job. Good luck
taylorboosh

22nd Jun 13 at 07:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I left a pretty well paid but shit call centre job to do an apprenticship..... Without doubt the best choice ive eer made
kz

22nd Jun 13 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the opinions. I'm still gonna leave it a while for the dust to settle before I say anything if I do...

Got a strange feeling there may be some departmental changes anyway as our business unit manager has just left due to stress!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Work situation... 25 database queries in 0.0132940 seconds