corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 2013 Formula 1 British Grand Prix

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 2013 Formula 1 British Grand Prix
djgritt
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd Jul 13 at 22:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was lucky enough to attend the 2013 Formula 1 British Grand Prix this weekend just passed.

One word. Amazing.

I got the tickets as a Christmas present from the missus. We then waited for it to come around, and headed up on Friday evening. We were supposedly in the ‘Lively’ camping area, which turned out to be not so Lively… quite a trek from the entertainment etc, but in a way this was better.

Met up with a workmate who was also there and hung around with them during F1 Practice Session 3 – we were watching from the International Pit Straight, just up from Turn 1 and the Pit Exit ramping. The noise was as expected, as loud as the DTM cars I see, but with the higher pitch making them sound more extreme. The way the Cars pick up pace & slow down again was just amazing. Very impressed.

Once Practice finished we started walking around the circuit to wait for the Qualifying sessions to start. We caught up with some of the trackside displays and entertainment. Animal had an ‘Action Sports’ display, so BMX, Trials Bikes & Parkour really. Watched that which was pretty good.

We eventually made our way around the circuit past the National Pit Straight and on to Maggots & Becketts and the Hangar Straight. On the way there we managed to spot some of the Porsche Supercup qualifying, as well as finding some both questionable & tasty motors parked up along the way.

Next came more Trackside displays & entertainment, including a brief look around the Porsche Experience Centre. The evening then saw us sat in the Entertainment Arena with some live music on offer – firstly some middle aged Canadian woman who was crap, secondly some guys who were on the X-factor at some point, still fairly crap but not as bad as the first act, and finally, Billy Ocean. He was brilliant. Not my sort of thing, but was impressed. We were stood right at the front of the crowd at the fencing. There were thousands there, all pumped and loving it. Great atmosphere!

We took the decision to upgrade our tickets and get into the Grandstand at Farm. This turned out to be a good move, with views of Turns 1, 2, 3 & 4 from our spot, as well as views of 2x Maxi Screens that allowed us to see everything else happening. The other benefit was being above the safety fences so any photos wouldn’t be obstructed as much.

We missed pretty much all of the GP3 race, but were seated before the GP2 race started. This was pretty good, we had one spectacular spin right in front of us. This was then followed by the Porsche Supercup Race before the F1 stuff started to happen. The next thing to happen was the F1 Drivers Parade Lap, followed by a 20min display by the Red Arrows.

Eventually, came the F1 Formation & Race. Most people who will look at this thread are likely to have watched it an know what happened. Summary; 4x Tyre Blowouts. 2x Safety Car Sessions. Vettel suffered retirement from 1st Position with mechanical failure (to massive cheers from the Spectating crowds!). Rosberg 1st, Webber 2nd, Alonso 3rd.
Safety Car sessions helped bring the overtaking and on track battles ongoing, which helped keep things interesting!
Hamilton drove well – going from Pole to Last and fighting back up to 4th.
Di Resta did well to from from 21st to within the top 10 at the end.
Hamilton & Di Resta both had a good couple of laps tussling with eachother, well done to them both.

Finally, we saw some more tasty cars in the car park on our way back out of the circuit to the Campsite, as well as witnessing the authorised Track invasion. We tried to get on, but it was so busy that the stewards stopped any more people from getting on. Shame, but not the end of the world.

All in all. One of the best weekends I have had. Definitely something I want to do again, and even Jo wants to too. She loved it, and she had never been to anything like it before. However, we have both decided that due to the cost of going to Silverstone, we would look at going to one of the European events instead…

Some of my photos can be found in this Slideshow - they display massively on here so didn't want to direct link them all...

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/djgritt/slideshow/2013%20British%20GP?sort=2

spencer88

3rd Jul 13 at 06:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SportsDay
Sean-B

3rd Jul 13 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like an awesome day. I've seen an F1 practise day at silverstone but never the race. You'd love the Le Mans 24Hr!!!
Fonz
Premium Member

3rd Jul 13 at 14:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
However, we have both decided that due to the cost of going to Silverstone, we would look at going to one of the European events instead…

it is for this reason alone a mate of mine has gone to Monza and Budepest GPs instead of Silverstone. he has gone with a car full of mates, camped and believed it cost close to to the same experience at Silverstone would when the travel is shared between them all.
they have made a point of being "tourists" while out there and enjoyed the various sites as well so seems to be a win win

it does sound like your experience was worth it though!
Jambo

3rd Jul 13 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Poor show on the crowd cheering Vettels retirement IMO.
Eck
Premium Member

3rd Jul 13 at 16:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo

Did you expect class in Britain? Surely not mate
I'd love to go for the noise alone tbh.
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Jul 13 at 16:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fonz
quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
However, we have both decided that due to the cost of going to Silverstone, we would look at going to one of the European events instead…

it is for this reason alone a mate of mine has gone to Monza and Budepest GPs instead of Silverstone. he has gone with a car full of mates, camped and believed it cost close to to the same experience at Silverstone would when the travel is shared between them all.
they have made a point of being "tourists" while out there and enjoyed the various sites as well so seems to be a win win

it does sound like your experience was worth it though!

I've done Monza and doing Spa this year for similar reasons. Don't get me wrong, Monza wasn't a cheap weekend but I'll take a night out in Milan over a campsite anyday

Guilt is driving me to silverstone next year though as I've yet to see a home race

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Jul 13 at 16:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, and as for crowds cheering etc - you should have heard the Tifosi when Button broke down on the pitstraight in Italy last year... they were nothing compared to those Vettel got when pulling up at the end

Saying all that, at least a dozen Italians walked up to us on the track invasion and on the way home to congratulate us on a Hamilton victory. Doesn't get much classier than that, if it was football I'm pretty sure we'd all be dead.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Jambo

3rd Jul 13 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
quote:
Originally posted by Jambo

Did you expect class in Britain? Surely not mate
I'd love to go for the noise alone tbh.

Fair point but never the less makes me ashamed :
noshua

3rd Jul 13 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like a decent weekend, shame about the music acts as other venues usually have some decent, well, popular, singers.

Did you just have general admission tickets? How much was it to upgrade on the day?

[Edited on 03-07-2013 by noshua]
djgritt
Premium Member

3rd Jul 13 at 18:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
Sounds like a decent weekend, shame about the music acts as other venues usually have some decent, well, popular, singers.

Did you just have general admission tickets? How much was it to upgrade on the day?

[Edited on 03-07-2013 by noshua]

Billy Ocean was amazing! Got the Crowd properly going

Paid £170 to upgrade to 2 Grandstand seats on Sunday. We chose the cheaper seats too...
big eck

3rd Jul 13 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mates brother in law was one of the bands that played

Times red.
djgritt
Premium Member

3rd Jul 13 at 18:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by big eck
My mates brother in law was one of the bands that played

Times red.

Thats the ones. Yeah, they weren't great.

Better than the person they followed though, she was shite.
andys sxi
Premium Member

3rd Jul 13 at 18:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went on Sunday just for the day, first time I've been to it and enjoyed it very much,got the the track about half 6, it was surprising how fast the time actually went there was always something going on, I went just general admission and could upgrade if we wanted it but didn't bother.

We went onto the track afterwards and it was metal on there I picked up a bit of rubber off the tyres, somebody walked infront of me with a breaking point sign

April 08 feature car
Jamie1991

3rd Jul 13 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was quite jealous of those at silverstone this year, always great atmosphere plus had decent weather and entertaining race too this year.. Although I am going to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix this year, so should make up when the time comes

[Edited on 03-07-2013 by Jamie1991]
andys sxi
Premium Member

6th Jul 13 at 16:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hope you dont mind me posting a few of my pictures in here

it was a really good day its the first time ive used my camera at something like this

[Edited on 06-07-2013 by andys sxi]

April 08 feature car
Steve
Premium Member

6th Jul 13 at 16:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

those cars lines are shocking

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 2013 Formula 1 British Grand Prix 24 database queries in 0.0110612 seconds