corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Amps, 6x9s and Subs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Amps, 6x9s and Subs
SXIBrad

User status: Offline
17th Jul 13 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi All,

I've looked in the tutorial section about Amplifiers and still am a little confused.

The set up I am looking to have is 2 6x9s (temporarily wired straight to the head unit at the moment) and a subwoofer running off the amplifier. Obviously I will require a multi channel amp (proabably 4 because I am not sure whether you can get 3, plus I can bridge two of the channels for the sub to get more power) Is that correct?

Also, what should I look for in my amp? I don't know what Wattage my sub is going to be yet, but the 6x9s are 240w Peak Power and 50w RMS.

Thanks in advance, I'm useless at this stuff.
SXIBrad

18th Jul 13 at 07:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone?
Firefly

19th Jul 13 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, you can bridge 2 channels of a 4 channel amp for more input power, leaving 2 channels free

What do you want in an amp exactly?

Id try and match the sub and amp input power. I have a 900w monoblock running my 2 1000w subs. The subs are 250w rms (input power) and the amp is 240w rms Dont be fooled by the claimed high wattage of some amps. 1. Because often they only have a low input power, and 2. Because the wattage of subs is their absolute peak which would rarely be reached anyway.

Final note. Personally id lose the 6x9s if youre going to be running a sub, because 6x9s are really a full range bass speaker
SXIBrad

19th Jul 13 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Firefly
Yes, you can bridge 2 channels of a 4 channel amp for more input power, leaving 2 channels free

What do you want in an amp exactly?

Id try and match the sub and amp input power. I have a 900w monoblock running my 2 1000w subs. The subs are 250w rms (input power) and the amp is 240w rms Dont be fooled by the claimed high wattage of some amps. 1. Because often they only have a low input power, and 2. Because the wattage of subs is their absolute peak which would rarely be reached anyway.

Final note. Personally id lose the 6x9s if youre going to be running a sub, because 6x9s are really a full range bass speaker

I have unplugged my rear speakers to use the 6x9s. They are 3 way speakers. I feel they have more clarity than the current rear speakers in my car. I could always upgrade and place a couple of normal speakers in there instead I guess.

I am looking for great sound quality, with a fair bit of bass.

Quick question, If an amp that I get has say 110RMS per channel, and the 6x9s are 40w RMS. Would this still work? Or would I have to get a smaller amp or split the channel etc?
Firefly

19th Jul 13 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do whatever you like. Its also worth noting that running speakers in the parcel tray (if thats what youre doing) isnt the best idea if you run a sub because of the differing frequencies

So perhaps something quality in a 12" sub of at least 1000w perhaps? With good input power, of course

Id say they will still work, but not for long with nearly 3 times too much input power. You could turn the gain way down on the amp which might work, but i cant say for sure. Best to get a lower powered amp or higher powered speakers

New Poll