corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Rome - July 2013

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rome - July 2013
Pop

User status: Offline
1st Aug 13 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got married on the 29th June and we went away for a mini-break to Rome for a few days. If you've never been I'd highly recommend it. As far as city breaks go there is so much to see and do.

The Vittoriano...

The Roman Forum...

A random art statue...

The Colosseum is amazing...

The river was running low compared to what it had been...

The Trevi Fountain is a nightmare to get a good pic of...

The Spanish Steps...

St Peter's Square...

St Peter's Basillica...

Out of nowhere there was a thunderstorm one evening which lasted around 20 mins, the only rain we had!...

The Pantheon...

What other cities would people recommend a visit to in Europe?
Cavey

1st Aug 13 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You got lucky, we went a few years back and had pretty much constant rain.

I didn't really enjoy it that much, mainly due to the people, utter cunts the lot of them, also was very expensive.

Obviously we did all the touristy things, was raining when we did the colloseum annoyingly, but still got a good look round it.

As a city you got the good bits in the photos, St. Peters is amazing. Did you walk to the very top of the dome and go outside? Trevi fountain is pretty impressive... Didn't really get the Spanish steps.. Its some steps

Pics from our trip... https://www.facebook.com/awalford/media_set?set=a.457818792417.254856.502502417&type=1 - that should work... http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/walfo/5155458984/ Whittle wanted that one, might be a few more on my flickr.

[Edited on 01-08-2013 by Cavey]
whitter45

2nd Aug 13 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

great pictures

Congratulations by the way
Robbo

2nd Aug 13 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

great pics, looks like u went a few days before me. heat was stifling, but i had no rain

Aside form the historic sstuff, i actually prefer Milan to Rome but try Florence and Venice too.

In terms of other cities to try: budapest, berlin, lisbon, dublin, barcelona, paris, prague, vienna and istanbul have been my favourites

madrid was ok-ish, as was copenhagen, stockholm i didnt like and edinburgh was kinda fun

munich in a few weeks for me then possibly san diego in december then planning next year, thinking dubai (depending on funds), moscow, st petersburg, reykjavik, dubrovnik and athens
jezza

2nd Aug 13 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pics look awesome mate! Just got back from a mini 2 night city break in Barcelona last night (I recommend it - loved it) and Rome is next on my list for this year. How many days did you need to take in the best of Rome?
Wrighty

2nd Aug 13 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice pictures
Bart

2nd Aug 13 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice pics, we did 10 days in Rome for our honeymoon as well.
Thoroughly enjoyed the place, and as you say an incredible amount to see.

Congrats

[Edited on 02-08-2013 by Bart]
p

2nd Aug 13 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
great pics, looks like u went a few days before me. heat was stifling, but i had no rain

Aside form the historic sstuff, i actually prefer Milan to Rome but try Florence and Venice too.

In terms of other cities to try: budapest, berlin, lisbon, dublin, barcelona, paris, prague, vienna and istanbul have been my favourites

madrid was ok-ish, as was copenhagen, stockholm i didnt like and edinburgh was kinda fun

munich in a few weeks for me then possibly san diego in december then planning next year, thinking dubai (depending on funds), moscow, st petersburg, reykjavik, dubrovnik and athens

Why did you prefer Milan?
p

2nd Aug 13 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice pics!

And why were they cunts? Anything in particular happen?
pow
Premium Member

2nd Aug 13 at 18:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've just come away from Rome in the camper, loved the city but he'd everything about it. The fountain, forum, colliseum etc is amazing but we found it way way to busy, pissing Mozzies out in the day and night, all the transport was dirty and overcrowded. I love the tourist buses but we were sold tickers to one that we physically couldn't get back on once we got off. 3 hour queue to get into the basilica. Think we'll go back out of season and give it another go.

Florence and Pisa much much nicer, at Lake Garda now which is amazing!
pow
Premium Member

2nd Aug 13 at 18:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've found 99%of Italians to be cunts, where as 99% of the french and Spanish are lovely. Also soo expensive compared to the above.
MatthewR

2nd Aug 13 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

99% of italians are cuntsLOL
Pop

2nd Aug 13 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cavey - it's a shame you had rain when you were there. We found most people to be really friendly, they were possibly more cheerful as it was really sunny. We didn't go up to the dome as we had been on the top of the Vittoriano on the first day.

whitter45 - cheers

Robbo - 34 degrees was the warmest when we were out there. We've been to some of those destinations on your list, there are so many great places to go see.

jezza - I've heard good things about Barcelona. We went for 5 days and took it easy. You could cover all the main bits in 3-4 days really.

pow - Lake Garda looks amazing, definitely on the list of places to visit.

We're off again in September so I'll be posting more pics in my Ducking Adventure thread...

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=653418

If anyone uses twitter I'd recommend following @EarthPix - some great inspiration for future trips start here
Jamie Walby

3rd Aug 13 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Please can you explain to me about this building?

Are those houses built on an old roman aqueduct?

Pop

3rd Aug 13 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rome is a bit odd in that most of the ruins are significantly lower than what the current day ground level is. You stand at road level looking down on a lot of stuff.

In that pick there you start off at road level on the opposite side and just see newer houses, go round the corner and you start to see the older building underneath. All over Rome there are sites where they are digging down to old buildings.
stan_the_man

5th Aug 13 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to work at the Colosseum running a pub crawl. Best 4 months of my life.

Got to know the city quite well too. Truly amazing place, and even after 4 months there i still had barely scratched the surface.

Its built like a lasagne. Lots of layers as said and they just built on top of old stuff (which they are constantly digging down for).

Good pics too!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Rome - July 2013 23 database queries in 0.0134702 seconds