corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Corsa redtop - Which parts to keep

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa redtop - Which parts to keep
corsa king

User status: Offline
26th Oct 13 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey there guys and girls,

If you saw my recent thread in the help section my Corsa recently blew its head gasket, which has nudged in the direction of a redtop (c20xe or maybe x20xev) conversion that I have always wanted! Being a student I only have a part time job, so the funds for the project aren't going to be enormous. However, over time I plan to build it up to a decent spec.

Currently I don't have the money for the conversion, so the car will kept in my garage until I can afford to do it. Anyway, I was going to strip a few mods off of the car to start the conversion fund, but then thought some of them may possibly work with the new engine. I was hoping to get a better insight on the to which parts I should keep that I would be able to use later.

The parts in question are;
- Jom coilovers (budget ebay ones)
- Sportex catback exhaust system. I am pretty sure the race tube won't be of much use, but what about the back box?

In an ideal world I would buy new higher performance parts, but funds are low. Even more so buy the fact I had to buy another car for my daily commute.

Any help would be much appreciated!

P.S which engine would be better to drop in a Corsa B, C20XE or X20XEV? I have looked into both but none of the information I found told me much about how they are in Corsas', only the original cars they were in.
Generation

26th Oct 13 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Coilovers will work, but be shit.
Sportedx I assume is small bore so
Will restrict system
Tiger

27th Oct 13 at 07:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I'd wait til you can afford to do it properly, if you do a half baked job of it, you'll end up not being happy with it or you'll be repairing it frequently, or it'll be so shit it'll put you off modifying cars forever.

I'd love to supercharge my Beemer, but I can't afford to so I'm not doing it. Simple as that.

I'm not even trying to be an arsehole about this, it's just one of life's cruel lessons.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

27th Oct 13 at 08:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sell the exhaust keep the coilivers
I built mine on a part time wage of £250 a month. That was before you took out things like petrol for the polo and my phone bill. So it is doable it just takes a lot of time

Don't skimp out. Do it properly and you will be happy with the results.
corsa king

28th Oct 13 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the replies guys! I will be keeping the coilovers (for now), and selling a few other parts like the exhaust.

The plan is to save up until summer and then get the project in full motion. I want to spend the vast majority of the fund on a decent engine and gearbox that haven't been abused all their life! I will eventually get around to getting a decent suspension set up and other goodies like bucket seats and a roll cage. But until then I will have to do with the budget collies.

If you don't mind me asking, FlaFFy_91, how much did the build set you back in total? I want a figure to aim for. I know there is a number of variables but was the cost parts wise?

Thanks again guys!
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

28th Oct 13 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

U2u'd mate
Kevxx

30th Oct 13 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jom are awful and last a year tops, bin them too. Use them till you get better, but thet are piss poor.
Vauxdan88

2nd Nov 13 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both of them things can be used til if and when you cam afford better. Coilovers will be a bit bouncy with the extra weight of the xe,but you could just get higher poundage springs,275lb ish,and exhaust,im sure a standard xe system is 2" which im also sure the sportex tube will be 2",so it shouldnt be too bad,and you can buy a link pipe off ebay for about £35,links the standard xe mani to a standard corsa centre (or sportex,the link pipe is sportex too). Definately go for the xe over the xev

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Corsa redtop - Which parts to keep 23 database queries in 0.0154250 seconds