corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Does anyone do engine damage analysis or metallurgy?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Does anyone do engine damage analysis or metallurgy?
Dan
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Nov 13 at 22:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above.

Need to speak to somebody who does engine failure analysis, metallurgy or anything similar who can give me some pointers on an offshore generator engine that's failed.

Does anybody do it?

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
ChrisBoom

27th Nov 13 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any pictures of the failure?
3CorsaMeal

27th Nov 13 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve could probably do a full motorsport Internet analysis if you get a photo on your phone.
Dan
Premium Member

28th Nov 13 at 20:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No pictures, but I need to speak to someone who deals in analysis or metallurgy.

Do you do something similar chris?

craig8
Premium Member

28th Nov 13 at 20:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What appears to have failed and what are you trying to find out?

E36 328
Dan
Premium Member

28th Nov 13 at 20:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The cause of the failure. It's an engine I've rebuilt a few weeks ago. Looks to me like its detached from the piston and punched a hole in the block. However the cap has come off the main bearing and both big end bolts have sheared the heads off.

There's no bends to either bolt but neither have a nut on them when found. Which to me seems odd as both bolts wouldn't have loosend at the same rate. Meaning every rotation the cap is going to flex the opposing bolt.

Dan
Premium Member

28th Nov 13 at 20:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Half of the piston is still in the top of the liner. Looks a clean break right across the center of the gudgeon pin. Which in 12 years of doing this I have never seen a rod come out of the block without pulling the whole piston out and smashing it to pieces.

craig8
Premium Member

29th Nov 13 at 00:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So the top half of the piston is still intact and sitting in the liner? Quite a strange one that. Is it free to move or seized?
Any chance of there being play in the big ends?
Bolts were 100% tight?

Not questioning your ability at all mate but it does happen sometimes. Was it a clean break on the piston or ragged?
Any spots on the break that look darker than others?

E36 328
Dan
Premium Member

29th Nov 13 at 07:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's clean from the pictures. I'm yet to see the engine.

There's a mark on 1 side of the rod that looks like a bolt could have been pulled through on the piss. (Half moon shaped heads). But I'm 99% that didn't happen, as I have documents signed during the build to witness the tightening etc. So me nor another experience engineer would have allowed a bolt to wind down tight before clicking off.

Bearings are all new. Crank was measured, bearings were plastiguaged.

It's a real mystery. The piston being at top in exact half seems odd to me.

I'm thinking it's seized in the bore. The little end looks stretched to me.

craig8
Premium Member

29th Nov 13 at 10:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like you say it sounds like it's seized and the piston has broke at its weakest point, clean break would indicate that it's most likely not a manufacturing fault in the piston.

Must be pretty annoying not getting to be the one to strip it down and see everything first hand too, sometimes that's when you get the best clues as to what's went on

E36 328
Dan
Premium Member

29th Nov 13 at 13:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will get to strip it. But ATM it's stuck in North Sea. Loo

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Does anyone do engine damage analysis or metallurgy? 24 database queries in 0.0117350 seconds