corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Following on from Andrew's college thread...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Following on from Andrew's college thread...
Aaron

User status: Offline
5th Jan 14 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Background

I've set myself a goal of passing two exams in the field of IT this year. I want to have the first one done by 31st March, thus leaving me the rest of the year to get the second done.

Exams aren't really my thing due to the fact that I seem to be incapable of stopping myself from skim reading questions, however, I'm forcing myself to change my ways.

I've worked in IT for a fair while now (approaching 13 years), and despite a failed attempt at a Windows 2000 Server exam many moons ago, I haven't attempted any sort of technical exams (all I've done is a work funded degree in Business Information Technology which, despite the fact I did well, it's worthless tbh)

My plan is to take and pass the Comptia Network+ exam before March 31st, and I'd like to add either Security +, Server+ or a Windows Server 2012 exam to this later in the year.

My Point/Question

I've got a book on the way for the N+ exam in order to help fill in any holes in my knowledge, such as silly questions like the speed of an "E3 Connection", and the maximum length of some obscure and ancient network cable type, but, i aren't sure how much time to dedicate to studying each evening.

So, people who study for exams of any nature around a full time job...how much time do you dedicate to your studying per day/week etc?

Studying until the point where I'm not taking any information in would be simple of course, but I'm interested to know any study methods which may have worked for you.

[Edited on 05-01-2014 by Aaron]
Gaz

5th Jan 14 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you need to look at yourself rather than others. Everyone learns differently, whether it be theoretical, practical, photographically or simply repetivness.

So ask yourself, how do you learn best?
Then approach your attention-span, if you skim read it suggests you bore easily and therefore 20minute bursts might be better than a full 2hour slot of revising.

Alternatively, do you have access within your work to actually work with people who do this line if work? Can you use it in a personal development plan for your performance reviews?
John

5th Jan 14 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I normally have a look the night before and luckily normally know enough to get through.

Study habits unfortunately haven't changed since school.
Andrew

5th Jan 14 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did my MCITP - Enterprise Administrator qualification in 2008/9. What pushed me was the fact i earned 15k a year after leaving uni and needed to sort that out. I've since not done anything.

I kind of know the direction i want to go in career wise but that's going to take time.
Aaron

5th Jan 14 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gaz
I think you need to look at yourself rather than others. Everyone learns differently, whether it be theoretical, practical, photographically or simply repetitiveness.

So ask yourself, how do you learn best?
Then approach your attention-span, if you skim read it suggests you bore easily and therefore 20 minute bursts might be better than a full 2 hour slot of revising.

Alternatively, do you have access within your work to actually work with people who do this line if work? Can you use it in a personal development plan for your performance reviews?

Yes absolutely. 20 to 30 minutes per day is pretty much what i had in mind to be honest...i can feel myself drifting beyond this. The next step is to get the exam paid for by my employer Should be fun.
Simon L

5th Jan 14 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you have previous exam papers with answers? Is there a specified text for the exam?

Do all of the previous exam papers. See what topics/themes you are not good at, and then study up on those topics. Then re-do the past exam papers and make sure you are passing.

That method got me through CISA, CISM, CRISC, and i'm currently studying for CIA.
Aaron

5th Jan 14 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon L
Do you have previous exam papers with answers? Is there a specified text for the exam?

I've been doing some practice questions on my tablet most nights over the Christmas break to be honest. The questions are reported to be "very alike" to the questions in the official exam...but i guess you can never be sure.
Ian W

5th Jan 14 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Directly related to your post, when I did my Comp TIA? A+ and Network + I studied for about 45 minutes to an hour a night for about 6 weeks prior to each exam iirc.

It was along time ago now when I was new to I.T, after 13 years in the job a week of running through a book for each should be sufficient IMO.

The MS ones I did where the same study routine, used to come home from work, do an hour then go out and get high as a kite which probably didn't help

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Following on from Andrew's college thread... 23 database queries in 0.0130911 seconds