corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » air bag question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author air bag question
johnny86
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th Jan 14 at 18:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If a car was fitted with air bags but they got removed do they need to be there for mot?
Tiger

13th Jan 14 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the fault light is on, it will fail.
johnny86
Premium Member

13th Jan 14 at 19:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want to fit an aftermarket wheel to my golf so wont have air bag and might have to remove passenger because I wanna fit gauges in the cover
johnny86
Premium Member

13th Jan 14 at 19:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Light wont be on as ill get it switched off
pow
Premium Member

13th Jan 14 at 19:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're removing all the airbags remove the airbag ECU too
Mattb

13th Jan 14 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
If you're removing all the airbags remove the airbag ECU too

it will still bring the light on for a golf.. airbag needs to be coded out of the dash panel insert, or the LED will need to be removed from the cluster.

Just removing the airbag c/u will log faults with every control unit on the drivetrain can network
johnny86
Premium Member

13th Jan 14 at 19:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So if I change steering wheel can I still drive it until I get light flashed off?
Brett
Premium Member

13th Jan 14 at 19:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Remove clocks, put blutac over LED
Joey 1.6 sport

13th Jan 14 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Then when it comes for mot will notice light not working =failer have it all the time testing
deano87

13th Jan 14 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why you'd want to modify your car by removing an airbag is beyond me
Brett
Premium Member

13th Jan 14 at 23:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joey 1.6 sport
Then when it comes for mot will notice light not working =failer have it all the time testing

How is my suggestion different to coding it out or removing the LED? You likely know best if you work in that game, but you make it sound like even with no airbag installed, a light needs to come on then go off otherwise it'd fail?
jay26

13th Jan 14 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Airbag light not working is not a fail
Dave_1987
Premium Member

14th Jan 14 at 07:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am an MOT tester and if the light doesn't come on it isn't a fail its an advisory but part of the test is to check for presence of airbags where you can. If you have the an aftermarket steering wheel it will be obvious that the airbag has been removed and that's a fail. Some testers will probably overlook it if the lights out.
Gaz

14th Jan 14 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To mirror the above, my old Corsa had an OMP wheel on it. I removed the airbag light after swapping the steering wheel and was never told about it at MOT time.

It was removed because the harnesses stopped me from hitting my head on the steering wheel and I worked out that a cheap slap in the face by an airbag was not wanted after crashing.
Simon_16v

14th Jan 14 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My local tester said to me as long as the light comes on and goes off when the ignition is turned on then he would pass it.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » air bag question 23 database queries in 0.0168929 seconds