corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mk5 Astra cdti common faults to look out for

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mk5 Astra cdti common faults to look out for
birchieboy

User status: Offline
23rd Jan 14 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All I seem to be doing lately is looking for cars to buy for other people.

Anyway after my sisters mk4 Astra was written off whilst parked outside her house I'm looking for a new car for her.
With only maximum 3k budget we are looking at mk5 Astra cdti's as she does alot of motorway driving.

What are the common faults to look out for as I'm viewing a couple this weekend on her behalf.

Thanks
tom130691
Premium Member

23rd Jan 14 at 08:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only issue ive had on mine is a broken plastic drop link
BenC1985

23rd Jan 14 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Swirl flaps on the inlet, egr valves, whining gearbox's- or movement in the gearstick on and off throttle can lead to a new box. Mines been pretty good since ive had it. Not changed a thing.
SXI - Matt

23rd Jan 14 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After a certain year they started fitting new inlets to solve the issue. If you google it it gives you a code to look for, this will identify whether it has the old problematic one fitted or the new one.

Wiper motors can tend to go to, they end up having to much movement and are loose when you grab one and move it. Cheap enough fix though, and the gearboxs as said is the only other major concern.
tom130691
Premium Member

23rd Jan 14 at 13:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SXI - Matt
After a certain year they started fitting new inlets to solve the issue. If you google it it gives you a code to look for, this will identify whether it has the old problematic one fitted or the new one.

Wiper motors can tend to go to, they end up having to much movement and are loose when you grab one and move it. Cheap enough fix though, and the gearboxs as said is the only other major concern.

probably due to the auto wiper function over compensating all the time
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

23rd Jan 14 at 14:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on the engine?

I run 12 of them (I think I've lost count now) all 1.7's. Everyone of them leaks water. And there's fuck all you can do about it :/. Change every pipe and the rad and the water pump. Will still leak water. Pain in the arse

Other than that there sound really.
Good strong engines. Got a couple with over 250,000 on

SXI - Matt

23rd Jan 14 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Taxi firm?
Graham88

23rd Jan 14 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 1.7 was pretty good just needed the alternator changed which is a common fault. Slow as fuck though

I've got a 1.9 120bhp 16v (same engine as the 150's) and it's been going into limp mode recently due to swirl flap motor so it's either the motor or the swirl flaps clogged up and burning the motor out. I've blanked the EGR off both sides and it's been good as gold since touch wood. Just have Engine light on the dash now that's all. Other than that it's a great car plenty of power and get about 42-43mpg round London
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

23rd Jan 14 at 19:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SXI - Matt
Taxi firm?

Kind of. I work in a normal garage and my boss owns 36 taxis that he rents out to people.
So I have to look after them all. Vectras, astras and focus'

Know them all like the back of my bloody hand.
smcGSI16V

23rd Jan 14 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

97k miles and no major issues to report here. And mine isn't bog standard either and I don't pottle around either, seeing as I do track days as well.

Any repairs have been maintenance replacements.
birchieboy

24th Jan 14 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one thanks for the help all, will research the swirl flap problems and the change over year. My sister is used to topping up her oil on the regular so topping up the water issues shouldn't be a problem for her to be honest

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mk5 Astra cdti common faults to look out for 23 database queries in 0.0083539 seconds