corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Coilovers without Helper springs?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Coilovers without Helper springs?
3CorsaMeal

User status: Offline
27th Jan 14 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been thinking about removing the helper spring from my coilovers.

Reason is if i wind the spring platform up to raise the car the springs are really compressed and don't have much movement, if i wind them down the springs work better but the car is too low and it affects the wishbones.

Am sure i asked somewhere before and was told not to do this, but in my mind and from looking at the suspension it makes sense to me. I don't see everything hanging loose when i jack car up which i think was the reason i was told not to do it.

Anyone do this on their sports car?
Christopher

27th Jan 14 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be honest buddy you will loose alot of the comfort/stability! I know mines no racecar and they arent an expensive set up but ive ran both on my c and its more bouncy without the helpers! So you may go from firm to bouncy suspension. But may aswell try it dude? Your not going to loose out on much than about an hour of your time?
Simon_16v

27th Jan 14 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought some AP coilovers brand new from awesome gti and they didn't come with helper springs?
chris_uk
Premium Member

27th Jan 14 at 17:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you need to buy springs which are the correct length.
karisma_corsa

27th Jan 14 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do it. I have modified my coilovers so don't have the original cone top cup either. Worked out a different method of seating the spring which lowers the car another 20mm. Plenty if stuff you can do if your happy to change things
Jamie-C

27th Jan 14 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just put coilovers into my executive car and i didnt use the helper springs, still feels like an executive car, even my mum said it was still comfy but when I lower the platforms ir doesnt get any lower for some reason
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Jan 14 at 18:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Helper spring's role is really only to take up the distance when the main spring is fully extended, ie. when its jacked up or completely unloaded.

Also probably an MOT fail if there's play in the main spring in that circumstance.

But yes, no reason to require them to be there.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

27th Jan 14 at 19:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Ian said. It is a mot failure (unless you have a friendly mot man ofcourse ) for the spring to be loose.
But you could always just for the helpers back in for not time?
I've had them in on my polo. Didn't have them in on the corsa.
Corsa seemed abit nicer to drive in terms of springy ness and bounce but it's personal preference really.
Try it. If you don't like the feel of the ride then pop them back in or order some proper sized springs as Chris said
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th Jan 14 at 20:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
if i wind them down the springs work better but the car is too low and it affects the wishbones.

Do they do a roll centre adjustment kit for your car? Usually longer ball joints and track rod ends to "fix" the angle on your wishbones when lower, which I presume is what you're on about?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
3CorsaMeal

28th Jan 14 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, they do them for golfs and sciroccos but something about the corrado VR6 hubs and ball joint area that make it impossible without some whole custom hub/wheel bearing housing

Think i will try no helper springs, nothing to lose.
3CorsaMeal

29th Jan 14 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now looking into fitting BOGE sports shocks with H&R springs and selling the KW's (seem to fetch a decent 2nd hand price)
3CorsaMeal

1st Feb 14 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

trying it today. Might as well before I buy new stuff

doesn't seem to be much spring there.

Kyle T
Premium Member

1st Feb 14 at 15:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like you and I have had similar afternoons

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
3CorsaMeal

1st Feb 14 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was quite quick to do really. Thought it would be a long job but did the front shocks in about an hour.

Didn't do the rears for now.
taylorboosh

1st Feb 14 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have with and with out.... Never noticed a change
3CorsaMeal

7th Feb 14 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a nice big box today. Love big boxes tbh.

Koni sport top adjustables with H&R springs. Should be able to sell the kw coil overs

3CorsaMeal

8th Feb 14 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nearly got everything i need. Got rid of most of the standard bits I now need when I fitted the coilovers. Things like springcaps and bumpstops etc.

hopefully i can fit it all next weekend if I find spring caps cheaper than dealers.
taylorboosh

8th Feb 14 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

H & R springs are fantastic
3CorsaMeal

8th Feb 14 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should work better than the coilovers. Forgot how much larger normal shocks and springs are.

Will try to assemble without spring compressors as they usually crap and end up scratching the paint.
taylorboosh

8th Feb 14 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just go to a garage and get the to use their hydraulic pedestal one?

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Coilovers without Helper springs? 24 database queries in 0.0261440 seconds