corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » People who do track days

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author People who do track days
taylorboosh

User status: Offline
10th Feb 14 at 07:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol
Steve
Premium Member

10th Feb 14 at 07:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry forgot, you were master of scalextric as a kid, I take it all back.
Daimo B

10th Feb 14 at 07:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never had one, never needed one, I got to play in real cars/race lorries/motorcycles.

Scalextrics, dreams, and asking the internet for advice on everything is your ball park
taylorboosh

10th Feb 14 at 07:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres only one line to take in scalextric
Steve
Premium Member

10th Feb 14 at 08:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Daimo would still suggest a better one
Fonz
Premium Member

10th Feb 14 at 11:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a track day (Rockingham) this weekend.

typically i dont do any specific prep, but that is because i do check my car regularly for fluid levels, pad and tyre wear which has been mentioned already..
this weekend i did just complete a service but it was due one rather than for the track, and i replaced the tyres a little sooner than i needed too because i know i'd scrub enough off to be illegal.

remove anything unnecessary from the car, one it will save weight, two it wont fly around the car as you constantly change direction.

as for advice on track
>it will be OPL, not a race so dont try to race and go at a pace your happy with and build it up over the day
>you wont be the fastest car there, so dont try to be
>there is no shame in being slow (i have a 1.6 103bhp MX5...i'm not fast but i have plenty of fun!)
>stay out for only as long as you or the car can take, brakes and tyres will start to go on the car and bare in mind your wrists/shoulders and neck (due to the helmet) which will work harder than you're used to.

enjoy it!!

where are you off to?
big eck

10th Feb 14 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm going to knockhill mate. Its only 30 mins away from me.
Robin
Premium Member

10th Feb 14 at 14:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definitely get some proper brake pads then, knock hill is hard on brakes iirc.

Try to get something which isn't road legal, not a fast road pad as they're no better.
Daimo B

10th Feb 14 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speak to AK for tips on Knockhill. He's done more laps there than anyone
big eck

10th Feb 14 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its his track day that I'm planning to go on.
DannyB
Premium Member

10th Feb 14 at 15:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You been out as passenger on KH eck? if not you should get a few laps with someone else, or why not go out with the instructor for a few laps?
AK

10th Feb 14 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup.... pretty much got it covered

Check all fluids, and over fill by a few mm on dip stick.

20min sessions is a good idea, with a couple of cool laps in the middle just to give brakes a chance to cool down. A cool lap or two trying to avoid brake use is ideal at the end of the session.

Just start slow and be observant. Not only watch out for others, but watch what they are doing. You'll pick up a lot through slotting in behind a car thats going a reasonable pace with a driver that knows the lines.

Dont go slow on corners, be commited. The easiest way to slide off the track is by being too gentle into and around the corner. You need to have some gas on to hook up the wheels
AK

10th Feb 14 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have an FAQ on the site Eck.

It covers most things http://trackscotland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14

quote:

First Timer's Guide - Car Days

If you've never driven on a track day before you could do worse than reading through this section. The aim is to remove the Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt element and to help you in ensuring your car and your brain are prepared for the day.

Each organiser will run their events in their own way, but these guidelines should work for most, if not all, days. If in doubt, ASK THE ORGANISER. As with any of our Guides, remember that is a Guide, not an instruction manual. Ultimately there is only one person at the controls of your car.

Do I Need a Super car?

No. Obviously, something that handles reasonably well and that can get you down the long boring bits (the straights) is desirable, but a wide variety of vehicles are used on track days. When you book your day the Organiser will be able to tell you whether your car is suitable for the event and the circuit.

How Do I Know I'll Be Fast Enough?

A big worry for first-timers is that they will be too slow and will 'get in the way'. Don't worry, the Organiser will make sure you are placed in appropriate group - at many events the cars are split into a number of groups based on experience and speed.

Car Preparation

Your car will almost certainly undergo stresses far greater than those experienced on the road:
• Ensure your brakes are in top condition - plenty of material on the pads/shoes and reasonably fresh brake fluid (old fluid boils more easily).
• Check the condition of your tyres, and that they are inflated according to the manufacturer's recommendation.
• If your shock absorbers are past their best the effect will be exaggerated on the track and will prevent you and your car performing at their best.
• Check your engine oil level. If your car uses any oil, take some with you.
• Remove from the car EVERYTHING you don't need to take with you, and take a bag to put everything else in whilst you are out on the track. There is nothing more distracting than to have pens, magazines, drinks cans and so on flying around inside the car.
• It is prudent to have a hand-held fire extinguisher in the car - make sure it is fastened securely but can be reached easily and quickly. You may find that some organisers insist on an extinguisher being carried.

Insurance

In theory, your road insurance should cover you for your track day, provided that there is no racing or timing going on (so don't even think about taking a stopwatch).
However, your insurance company may have different ideas, so check before you go.

Driver Preparation

Familiarise yourself with the circuit as much as you can. Watch video from race meetings (in-car footage is really useful); computer games (such as TOCA on the Playstation) are surprisingly useful; at the very least get hold of a map of the circuit and learn it.

The race track will probably be an unfamiliar environment to you. If you have already learned your way around (at least to the level where you know whether the next corner goes left or right) you will have one less thing to think about.

Get your car preparation out of the way well before the event if you can, and GET LOTS OF SLEEP before the day. Adrenaline is great while you are driving but one of the side-effects is that you feel tired as it wears off. If you have been up into the early hours preparing your car you will be even more tired.

What Do I Wear on the Track?

You will definitely need a crash helmet approved for motor sport use. Wear something that is comfortable, covers your arms and legs and that won't impede your movement. If you intend to drive at track days regularly a set of fire-resistant overalls approved for motor sport use is recommended.
Wear a pair of thin-soled shoes - racing boots are ideal, but trainers with worn-down soles work well. The thicker the soles, the less feel and control you will have.

What Else Should I Take?

As a minimum you should take with you:
• Your road licence. Circuits controlled by Brands Hatch (e.g. Brands Hatch, Oulton Park, Snetterton and Cadwell Park) insist on it and you DEFINITELY won't be allowed on the circuit if you haven't got it, even if you have a racing licence. Get into the habit of taking it to all track days - that way you won't get caught out.
• A roll of duct tape or electrical tape (insulation tape). You will need to tape your lights up when you get to the circuit, and duct tape is a great get-you-home aid if you do end up with some part of your car which needs to be re-attached.
• Replacement fluids. Oils, Water, coolant etc.
• A tyre pressure gauge and a foot pump. With most road cars this is about the only adjustment available to you.
• A basic toolkit - but only if you know what to do with it! There is normally no shortage of tools, or skilled/enthusiastic people to lend a hand.

Fuel

Some circuits have fuel available on site, and others have petrol stations within a few minutes of the circuit. Generally there is plenty of time to leave the circuit to fill up between sessions.
Do not fill your car to the brim with fuel - fill to around three-quarters. Sustained cornering forces can cause fuel to come out of the filler pipe onto the track - expensive for you and slippery for the car behind!
Saying that, do not run with too little fuel. Cornering forces can lead to fuel starvation.

Arriving at the Track Day

Before being let loose on the track you will need to:

• Register
• Attend a briefing

It is possible your group will be on the track very soon after the briefing, so try to arrive in plenty of time so you can prepare your car beforehand. Again, it is one less thing for you to worry about, making it clearer for you to concentrate on what you are about to do.

Before you venture out onto the circuit you should:

• Check your tyre pressures
• Check your oil level
• Tape up your lights
• Remove everything unnecessary from the car

Make sure you listen carefully during the briefing. If you don't understand something, ask. The briefing will cover topics such as flag signals and where/how to overtake - make sure you are familiar with the rules, it will save embarrassment later!

Your First Track Session

It is quite likely that this will be a gentle, no-overtaking session. This might seem a bit tame, but it is done for a reason - to help you adjust to the higher speeds of a racing circuit and to learn the circuit.
Use the session wisely. Try to find the right lines through the corners - if it feels smooth at lower speeds it will probably be the correct line at higher speeds. Sometimes the Organisers will place cones at the side of the circuit to indicate the correct turn-in and clipping points. Look for conservative braking points for each corner; give yourself plenty of room from the car in front so you can concentrate on the track, not avoiding contact.

After the Session

Even during a gentle first session your car will probably be more stressed than it is in everyday use. Give everything time to cool down, then check oil levels and tyre pressures. Keep an eye on your fuel gauge - it is frustrating to run low just before you are due on track, but very embarrassing to actually run out on the track.

Going Faster

You will have read and heard this everywhere but it is true: START SLOWLY, BUILD UP GENTLY.

• If it feels fast, you are probably going too fast
• If it feels out of control, SLOW DOWN - you probably are
• Many Organisers ban overtaking in braking areas. This is a Good Thing. It means that you can concentrate on the corner - glancing in the mirror just before you turn into a corner takes your concentration away from the job in hand.
• Once you have found the right turn-in point and the right apex (clipping point) for a corner, stick to it. If you start missing the clipping point you are going faster than the car wants to. That means you will have to back off exiting the corner, or you are going to pay a visit to the gravel trap.
• If you start missing the apex of a corner there is a strong temptation to turn in earlier. Don't do this - it will just make the problem worse. Refer to the point above and slow down.
• Sliding the car around is fun but not necessarily the fastest way around the circuit. If the driving wheels are spinning or sliding you cannot apply any more power and therefore you cannot accelerate. Your tyre wear will be higher, too.
• A good way of learning the limits of your car under braking is to keep your conservative braking point but brake harder each time until you feel you've reached the limit of you and your car. Once you've reached this limit you can gradually move the braking point towards the corner. This is safer than learning the limit by braking hard AND later - it it all goes wrong you will have more time and more track in which to sort the problem out.
• Don't be tempted to make radical alterations to your car in between sessions, otherwise a visit to the gravel trap is on the cards. If you make any alterations to the car, take it easy on your first couple of laps until you know what the car is going to do.
• Always take it easy for the first lap or so - it lets the engine, tyres, brakes and (most importantly) your brain reach operating temperature.
• Once you feel you are going as fast as you can, get some instruction. No matter how good you think you are, you will always benefit.
• Don't be afraid to pull in before the end of the session. If you think the brakes, suspension or tyres are overheating it's probably a good idea to stop and let everything cool down.
• Circuit driving is physically and mentally tiring. Brain fade is a more common cause of track day accidents than brake fade, so if you feel tired don't worry about skipping a session and taking a rest - it's not an admission of defeat.
• Always remember that you are on a track day, not at a race meeting. It is non-competitive. If you are getting the urge to go faster it's probably time to speak to the Motor Sports Association (and the Bank Manager) about going racing.

Orig doc from http://www.uktrackdays.co.uk/

[Edited on 10-02-2014 by AK]

[Edited on 10-02-2014 by AK]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » People who do track days 23 database queries in 0.0122631 seconds