corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Skiers/Boarders

New Poll
  <<  4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Skiers/Boarders
Rob_Quads

User status: Offline
7th May 14 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't they do the classic push you in the back to work out if your regular or goofy - Works virtually every time.

Sounds like you enjoyed it which is the main thing.

As you say - the key bit is now just a bit of practice. Good to have someone around you that knows what they are doing as they can try and spot the bad habits.

You'll be amazed at the difference in doing a full run down a hill. You quickly get bored of indoor slopes.
Robbo

7th May 14 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I had done all the usual tests with my friend before (which all pointed to regular) but then I think my knee issues appeared to be causing some problems with turning which lead them to try me both ways down the hill to work out if it was that (it wasn't, it was purely technique in the end!) but def regular.

Def enjoyed it, was buzzing when I got to go down the main slope from the top on my own Practice practice practice now until the winter but can def see me getting bored with the indoor slope as its so much up and down and bending down to undo and redo the (awfully tatty!) bindings... thank god for my yoga and balance so I can do them up stood up at the top of the hill!
RichR
Premium Member

7th May 14 at 10:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't get hung up on riding switch yet; get your technique right in one direction first and then introduce switch. I was the same when I first learnt and tried to constantly switch between regular and goofy, IMO, it held my progression up and eventually I stuck with riding regular until I'd perfected it and the move to riding switch came much more easily down the line.
RichR
Premium Member

7th May 14 at 10:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Practice is key; I taught my missus from the April we got together and in the following January we went to Scotland for 3 days boarding; 2 weeks later we were in the Three Valleys and she was proficiently riding black runs on her second day. We used to go at least once a week to Chill FactorE or Stoke Dry Slope and endlessly practice until she had intrinsically got it. By comparison, a friend's missus did the board in a day session at Chill FactorE, had a couple of 1 on 1s afterwards and went back a handful of times and when we went to Chamonix in February she just hadn't got it and couldn't progress during the week.
Robbo

7th May 14 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What was Scotland like? I was briefly considering it for a cheap starter this side of Xmas
RichR
Premium Member

7th May 14 at 10:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3 years in a row it was shit; too exposed so even though there is higher levels of snowfall than the alps, it all blows off. Lots of damaged equipment and poor maintenance. I've never seen every run open in Nevis Range.

Also, from London, you'd be in the Alps in the same amount of time (or less) and be about the same price - go to the Alps.

[Edited on 07-05-2014 by RichR]
RichR
Premium Member

7th May 14 at 11:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and as you like photos of skiing/boarding holidays, I'll whore some of my trip to Val Thorens at the end of March.

Snowed solidly for the first 4 days; low visibility but amazing off piste conditions.

Missus' 'advanced' boarding is really coming on

The weather finally broke

You have to go here in your life

Edges have completely gone on my StepChild, it won't stop at all now.

Lots of snow and blue skies; got engaged about 2 minutes after this photo

and finally, Female Urinals - 'PePee only - No PoPoo'; these were about the most inaccessible toilets known to man...
Rob_Quads

7th May 14 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you go to the Frog in ValT?
RichR
Premium Member

7th May 14 at 11:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep, we were staying just down the road, didn't really see the appeal, much prefer O'Connells or Saloon
Robbo

7th May 14 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RichR
3 years in a row it was shit; too exposed so even though there is higher levels of snowfall than the alps, it all blows off. Lots of damaged equipment and poor maintenance. I've never seen every run open in Nevis Range.

Also, from London, you'd be in the Alps in the same amount of time (or less) and be about the same price - go to the Alps.

emphatic. cheers!
Robbo

7th May 14 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

great pics man! and congrats on the egmt
RichR
Premium Member

7th May 14 at 12:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SCOTLAND

Views are awesome on Nevis Range (when the weather is clear)

When its not, it's not and it got much, much worse than this!!

50yards of the end of this lift was a 3000ft sheer drop with no kind of barriers - we found this the day after the total whiteout!!

Maintenance isn't great

and there's often no Snow at all - this was the main run down to the lift station

and finally, lots of the pistes have 20/30ft muddy sections to cross before getting back onto the snow - brought a whole new meaning to off piste

Robbo

7th May 14 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jeepers! Alps it is ha
Rob_Quads

7th May 14 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Scotland is great if you leave near by and can choose your dates. If your planning a holiday then go to the Alps
RichR
Premium Member

7th May 14 at 19:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbf, I've also been when there's been so much snow that we got snowed in at the cottage at Glencoe and not allowed on the mountain so we built kickers on the hill next to us and played there-too much luck of the draw with Scotland and as Rob says, if you live close and choose the right days, it will be superb but for planning in advance, I'd avoid.

<<  4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Skiers/Boarders 23 database queries in 0.0166299 seconds