corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anyone know anything about lawn mowers?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone know anything about lawn mowers?
kz

User status: Offline
8th Mar 14 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mum was about to phone up a repair place but before she does... mower used to cut out every few minutes or so, but then it'd come back to life. She went to use it this week and it's not completely dead. Thinking it can't be a fuse if it was intermittent. Perhaps dodgy wiring somewhere?

It's a Flymo Easi Glide iirc if that helps. Any ideas!?
Ste
Premium Member

8th Mar 14 at 14:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wiring for sure.

Make sure you have it on a breaker then have someone hold the power on the mower while you wiggle the wire at the plug end and mower end to see if it comes on. if not, it may be a break in the cable, so put the marigolds on and wellies and do the same all way down the wire. if not wiring it might be internal so get your torx bits out and get stripping

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Mar 14 at 14:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd check the wiring in the plug first, could just have a bit of corrosion on a terminal.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
alan-g-w

8th Mar 14 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

... don't be mucking about with 240v stuff if you know nothing about electricity though
Welly Wanger

8th Mar 14 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could be a few things,
The cables broke down inside where it enters the fly mo.
The switch has seen better days and not making a good contact.
I would start by cutting 1 ft of cable off from the switch back down the cable lead. I'm a spark but damn I keep forgetting them two vital bits of kit, marrigolds and wellies...... roflcopter
Welly Wanger

8th Mar 14 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But please make sure its unplugged before you you remove any parts, safety first
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Mar 14 at 15:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Back int' day when I lived "at home", I was cutting the grass for my dad, mower cut out and I'd had problems with the extension lead before - so unplugged from the mains then sat cross legged in the garden re-wiring the plug.

My Dad then shouted from the house "it's not working because it's not plugg..." BANG, poor Kyle and his fucking screwdriver flying across the garden

No harm done other than a hell of a scare, but could have been worse

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
alan-g-w

8th Mar 14 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol it's not fun. Certainly wakes you up though
Bart

8th Mar 14 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would take apart the handle (without it plugged in obv!) just check the wiring around the handle that activates it, it's bound to be loose or split.
ed

9th Mar 14 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Back int' day when I lived "at home", I was cutting the grass for my dad, mower cut out and I'd had problems with the extension lead before - so unplugged from the mains then sat cross legged in the garden re-wiring the plug.

My Dad then shouted from the house "it's not working because it's not plugg..." BANG, poor Kyle and his fucking screwdriver flying across the garden

No harm done other than a hell of a scare, but could have been worse

Did that last weekend removing a wall socket - apparently it's ok to wire them into the lighting circuit these days

[Edited on 09-03-2014 by ed]
Daimo B

9th Mar 14 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flymo, I had a similar issue. Motor ended up dying rather than the cabling.

Replace the lead.

Failing that, replace the mower. Amount it'll cost in parts/fixing usually ends up being cheaper to just buy a new one as Flymos are cheap anyway.
kz

9th Mar 14 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for all the advice. Ultimately yes I suppose it might be cost effective just to get a new one... we shall see. Didn't get a chance to check it out this weekend but will have a look soon.
cunningham

10th Mar 14 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is this the kind that collects the grass in the basket? with a lid on it?

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anyone know anything about lawn mowers? 24 database queries in 0.0101070 seconds