corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Cheapest way to get a basic website up and running?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cheapest way to get a basic website up and running?
dannymccann

User status: Offline
21st Mar 14 at 08:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wife has a very small business, at the moment we have a shocking home made website we created together hosted on our Talk Talk webspace. It looks awful by today's standards but it gives her an online presence at the very least other than FB/Twitter.

When I say small, I mean tiny, not hand to mouth but certainly wouldnt push her over the lower tax band if she gave up full time work, but I think it's extremely important to have something nice online. When I say basic, I mean a front page and probably 4 or 5 links off there. No e-commerce / booking system / flash or java stuff (although a contact us form would be nice, think I can nick some code for that online though), literally just pictures and price lists.

So yea, what's the cheapest way to get her online with a proper web address (.co.uk is fine) and for someone, somewhere to design a few fancy graphics and logo's and then pass it over to her to update pictures and words etc?

I know I could Google it, and I have, but I'll be honest with you I know nothing about this and there's a few of you on here who know this stuff

Cheers
Gary
Premium Member

21st Mar 14 at 08:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Balling has done graphics for me that I've just stuck into a template. Basic template with decent graphics And your sorted. Maybe a joomla or wordpress site would suit?
pow
Premium Member

21st Mar 14 at 08:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Weebly?
Balling
Premium Member

21st Mar 14 at 09:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

U2U me for any graphics/logo/print design you need done.

As Gary says, just use a simple template and fill it with your own content.

Once you get a domain running you can usually install Wordpress through the admin panel. More info here:
http://www.c20xe.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=662948

dannymccann

21st Mar 14 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That Wordpress certainly looks interesting, I spent ages trying to find free, simple and good editors to build stuff with and somehow that never popped up in my searches.

I'll keep you in mind Balling. She has a friend who does a bit of graphical design but it's been a while since she did it last so might be a bit rusty. Could you u2u me some examples and prices to show her what sort of stuff she could expect and what rough costs are involved for her?

Thanks!
deano87

21st Mar 14 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
That Wordpress certainly looks interesting, I spent ages trying to find free, simple and good editors to build stuff with and somehow that never popped up in my searches.

I'll keep you in mind Balling. She has a friend who does a bit of graphical design but it's been a while since she did it last so might be a bit rusty. Could you u2u me some examples and prices to show her what sort of stuff she could expect and what rough costs are involved for her?

Thanks!

I'm currently doing my dad's site which is nothing more than a local builder with a few pages for projects, services etc. Wordpress is good, but you do need some web experience and HMTL knowledge.

There are plenty of web builder type things out there though, including Go Daddy, 1and1, 123-reg. Some are better than others.

I will dig out a thread I created about them a while back.
deano87

21st Mar 14 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might help:

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=643969

[Edited on 21-03-2014 by deano87]
Balling
Premium Member

21st Mar 14 at 12:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom

21st Mar 14 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Domain - If you want a US TLD (.com etc) then head to Namecheap.com, works out cheaper than purchasing a US TLD through a UK registra; otherwise UK TLD from anywhere like 123-reg or 1&1, pricing is near enough similar.

Hosting - Would recommend TSOHost or Vidahost, brilliant support and reasonably priced for a UK host.

Site - Wordpress would be well worth looking at, can grab a theme (themeforest.com etc) for £0-50 and then just stick your content on.

Alternatively you could just purchase a decent HTML theme (again themeforest etc) and just go editing that.

Been a load of posts on CS, so worth doing a quick search and obviously there's plenty of us here that'll help with any queries

New Poll