corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Nokia Lumia 930 announced

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Nokia Lumia 930 announced
evilrob
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd Apr 14 at 23:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loving the look of this - seems to be everything I love about my 920 but just a bit better in almost every way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7eMY45Fw0M

Specs:
Primary camera sensor size: 20MP PureView
Display size: 5''
Display resolution: Full HD (1920 x 1080)
Processor name: Qualcomm Snapdragon™ 800
Maximum talk time (3G): 15.5h
Battery capacity: 2420mAh
Wireless charging: Built-in (Qi standard)

[Edited on 02-04-2014 by evilrob]
Rob_Quads

3rd Apr 14 at 07:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good to see Microsoft back-tracking even further and bringing back the start menu. 3rd time lucky they might actually get what they should have done in the first place
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

3rd Apr 14 at 07:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

still a windows phone thou
Balling
Premium Member

3rd Apr 14 at 08:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks nice. A bit... recognisable... But very nice.

Huge bulging back is a shame, but then it just wouldn't be a Lumia without being a brick.

Unclear yet if I get to keep my phone when I leave work end of June, if not I'll yet again have to consider the daunting possibility of trying my luck with a phone with no half eaten fruits on it.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Good to see Microsoft back-tracking even further and bringing back the start menu. 3rd time lucky they might actually get what they should have done in the first place
Am I missing something or has this got nothing to do with the phone?

Rob_Quads

3rd Apr 14 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Am I missing something or has this got nothing to do with the phone?

Nothing to do with the phone but but dropped in during the same Nokia/Windows event
evilrob
Premium Member

3rd Apr 14 at 11:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay

You say that like it's a bad thing.

I've been using a Windows Phone for about six months now to see if it's as shit as everyone makes out; and it isn't. At all.

I would sum up Windows Phone as "Surprisingly not shit" - in fact they should use that as their slogan:

evilrob
Premium Member

3rd Apr 14 at 11:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Huge bulging back is a shame, but then it just wouldn't be a Lumia without being a brick.

It's hardly a porker, is it - looks to be roughly the same thickness as an iPhone 4 (which was my favourite of all the iPhones).

I guess it needs to have some depth to it to house the 20MP camera sensor and the wireless charging gubbins.
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Apr 14 at 11:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still love mine
Balling
Premium Member

3rd Apr 14 at 11:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
It's hardly a porker, is it
Largest high end 5" smartphone, isn't it? SONY, LG and Samsung all make 5" phones that are more than 1 mm thinner. iPhone 5(c/s) is more than 2 mm thinner.

Comparison to the 4 doesn't makes any sense, tbh. Yes iPhone 4 was nearly as thick, but then vastly smaller overall.

Fit a 3.5" or even 4" display to the Nokia and the thickness would be okay. Actually, with a 4" display it'd be a very, very interesting phone.

Then again, tbh the HTC One gets away with being a fatty due to the body design, so maybe this will likewise seem smaller in your hands.

evilrob
Premium Member

3rd Apr 14 at 12:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
It's hardly a porker, is it
Largest high end 5" smartphone, isn't it? SONY, LG and Samsung all make 5" phones that are more than 1 mm thinner. iPhone 5(c/s) is more than 2 mm thinner.

Comparison to the 4 doesn't makes any sense, tbh. Yes iPhone 4 was nearly as thick, but then vastly smaller overall.

The point I was making was that I like a phone that's around 10mm thick - that seems to work best for my hands. I didn't like how thin the iPhone 5 was.
evilrob
Premium Member

3rd Apr 14 at 12:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or to put it another way - phones are generally thin and light enough these days; this whole business of shaving off an extra 1-2mm with each revision is getting silly.

Turning your nose up at any given handset because it's 1mm thicker than some other handset is ridiculous.
Balling
Premium Member

3rd Apr 14 at 14:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Turning your nose up at any given handset because it's 1mm thicker than some other handset is ridiculous.
I wouldn't say that's what I'm doing, but fair enough.

That said, with phones evolving as little as they are, yet still keeping their absurd price tags, I absolutely don't think it's ridiculous to expect every detail to be as close to perfect as possible. Including the dimensions.

If you prefer a thicker phone, you always have the luxury of adding bulk through a case. I personally want a phone that's as small as humanly possible while still usable [zoolander_phone.jpg], and I definitely think 2 and even 1 mm matters - especially given the current trend of growing display sizes.

[Edited on 03-04-2014 by Balling]

Balling
Premium Member

3rd Apr 14 at 14:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But enough about that.

Love the 20 MP camera. With that I'd just go ahead and leave my camera at home, when travelling.

How do these things fare in low light conditions?
Edit: Quite impressively it turns out.

[Edited on 03-04-2014 by Balling]

evilrob
Premium Member

3rd Apr 14 at 14:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
I wouldn't say that's what I'm doing

Neither would I - I'm just annoyed at the prevalence of this mentality that if a new phone isn't thinner than the last or the nearest competitor, it's automatically shit.

quote:
[zoolander_phone.jpg]

oceansoul

3rd Apr 14 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was in a three store the other day, and saw a nokia "phone" with a 6" screen. Twas huge. Like a small tablet!!!
evilrob
Premium Member

3rd Apr 14 at 15:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul
I was in a three store the other day, and saw a nokia "phone" with a 6" screen. Twas huge. Like a small tablet!!!

That would be the 1520 - it's one of these new-fangled 'phablet' things the phone industry think people want. They're all doing them - Samsung Galaxy Note, Sony Xperia Z Ultra, HTC One Max to name a few... I think they're silly. Appealing only to Dom Joly.
Dom

3rd Apr 14 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Apple fans are going to shit bricks if the current rumours of a 5.5" iPhone are true

Although this 930 does look pretty epic even if it is a little chunky
Balling
Premium Member

3rd Apr 14 at 16:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
5.5" iPhone
:shudders:

A2H GO

3rd Apr 14 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Apple fans are going to shit bricks if the current rumours of a 5.5" iPhone are true

Although this 930 does look pretty epic even if it is a little chunky

I'll happily shit a brick if Apple release a 5.5in phone.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

4th Apr 14 at 07:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

I've been using a Windows Phone for about six months now to see if it's as shit as everyone makes out; and it isn't. At all.

Classic windows phone user denial
evilrob
Premium Member

4th Apr 14 at 07:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Classic windows phone user denial

I'd have thought the same about someone saying positive things about Windows Phone if I hadn't actually gone out and bought one to see for myself. It really doesn't deserve the derision it receives.

It's not like I don't have any frame of reference - I've had all the iPhones since 3GS through 5, Android phones since the original T-Mobile G1 (the one with the comedy chin) through to Samsung Galaxy S III. Windows Phone is fine - good, even. I think the 920 might be my second favourite phone ever (first place goes to the classic 8210 I had circa 1999, which still works today!)

Is Windows Phone 8 the best all-round mobile operating system there is? Probably not, all things considered. But it is a joy to use - it's fast and responsive, smooth, consistent and it does the job.
John

4th Apr 14 at 07:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does the screen on the 8210 still work?
evilrob
Premium Member

4th Apr 14 at 07:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Does the screen on the 8210 still work?

Yep. I seem to remember having to replace something on it at one point - a small white strip of some sort. Or that might have been on the 8850. Either way - it still works.
kz

4th Apr 14 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shame there's no Surface Phone though! Maybe next year when the Nokia deal is all properly done and dusted.
evilrob
Premium Member

4th Apr 14 at 19:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
Shame there's no Surface Phone though! Maybe next year when the Nokia deal is all properly done and dusted.

That would be cool - if they made something that looked like a shrunk-in-the-wash Surface, I'd buy it:

I reckon the 930 will tide me over til then though.

[Edited on 04-04-2014 by evilrob]

New Poll