corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Website transfer...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Website transfer...
A2H GO

User status: Offline
22nd May 14 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So I moved my domain and hosting(wordpress installation) from goDaddy to Vidahost last month. Used their migration service and got the confirmation to say everything was done a day or two later.

About a week later I cancelled my hosting with goDaddy. I since spent numerous hours overhauling the site with a new theme which took forever to get right along with loads of new content. Yesterday the site went down, contacted Vidahost, they said I needed to change the namesevers. Done that and now when I go to my domain it's the old wordpress installation, old theme and has none of the new content I added since.

Vidahost are saying the changes made must have been on the goDaddy servers, rang goDaddy, they want $150 to restore my files. Am I out of luck and is this Vidahosts fault or mine? It was never mentioned to me that I'd have to manually change the nameservers if that's what's caused this mess...

[Edited on 22-05-2014 by A2H GO]
John

22nd May 14 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is the sort of thing I deal with from web developers every day, unfortunately probably your fault. Web developers never understand how DNS works.
Dom

22nd May 14 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who had control of the domain at the point when GoDaddy closed your hosting?

If Vida has control then i would have assumed they'd have changed the nameservers during migration, so arguably at the point of completion the domain should have pointed to the Vida hosting and not GoDaddy.

However, you should have had backups in place and/or been developing locally - doing either of these would have saved you this hassle
A2H GO

22nd May 14 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was in two minds about paying the extra just to stay with goDaddy to avoid exactly this scenario.

I'd (naively) assumed that given Vidahost we're managing the migration on my behalf, that I'd not have to go in and fiddle with anything myself. Since I'd had confirmation everything had been migrated successfully and the website was up and running, I'd had no cause to start going in and checking settings I know nothing about.

At the point the goDaddy account was cancelled vidaHost had been in control of both the domain and hosting for over a week.

So you're saying it's best to pull copies of the backups off the hosting server to store locally incase the providers ball's up? I guess that would have saved me a lot of hassle.

[Edited on 22-05-2014 by A2H GO]
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
22nd May 14 at 21:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They can be in control of the domain but point the DNS somewhere else.

Totally down the fact that you were editing on the wrong server. Although I'd be questioning whether a migration service which is specifically designed to move a site from one host to another should cover name servers.

Whether you understand DNS or not - you're paying for it to be moved.

How far did you get when you spoke to them? Just front line support? Might be worth asking for it to be escalated to see if you can get some free hosting to cover your costs with GoDaddy.
Dom

22nd May 14 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
At the point the goDaddy account was cancelled vidaHost had been in control of both the domain and hosting for over a week.

In which case i'd question why the nameservers weren't swapped during migration as they, Vida, had control of the domain.
Although i very doubt they're going to cough up £90 or so to get your data back.

quote:
So you're saying it's best to pull copies of the backups off the hosting server to store locally incase the providers ball's up? I guess that would have saved me a lot of hassle.

Of course, same as you do with anything else that is important (if it's cPanel then it's a one/two click job to get a zip of your data)

[Edited on 22-05-2014 by Dom]
Bart

22nd May 14 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would email Vidahost, ask for the email to be sent to "Seb" and explain the situation (nicely), as you have done here.
But yes, I would have expected some assistance with the transfer, name servers and all.

I would also be ringing godaddy back, there's no way your files would be deleted that quickly.
A2H GO

23rd May 14 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, goDaddy aren't budging, probably because I moved everything away from them and am no longer a customer with anything.

Turns out in one of the emails Vidahost sent it did mention about changing the nameservers, so I guess it's my own fault for not paying attention.

Now to spend all day getting it back to what it was.
Dom

23rd May 14 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Turns out in one of the emails Vidahost sent it did mention about changing the nameservers, so I guess it's my own fault for not paying attention.

Sounds like you're shit out of luck then. At least now you'll take backups or dev offline/locally
Rob_Quads

23rd May 14 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup a backup is only as good as where it is. If its with your provider your screwed if that provider goes belly up.

Personally I prefer a local copy of the backup and also one on dropbox. That gives me cover from most things
ed

23rd May 14 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely you've got staging setup locally and then you push the changes out to live once you're happy with it all
Bart

24th May 14 at 06:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Surely you've got staging setup locally and then you push the changes out to live once you're happy with it all

I guess the local files is only 50% of the site.
If it's wordpress a lot of the content will be in the old DB

I don't run local DBs for testing my WP sites but I do mimic the setups on other domains for testing & development purposes

[Edited on 24-05-2014 by Bart]
ed

25th May 14 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd recommend having a go at setting up a local development environment to anyone who's doing web development. There are packages out there which will install xAMP stack on your machine like XAMP for Windows users or MAMP for OSX users or you could install each package individually (which is pretty simple if it's just for local testing). The other alternative is to make a VM which mimics your production environment - this is quite useful for testing because of the amount of times I've uploaded something and had issues because the PHP version is different or Apache is configured slightly.

The other benefit of doing this is that you make changes locally and it doesn't affect the live site and if you keep things up-to-date you have a decent backup if it does all go tits up!

[Edited on 25-05-2014 by ed]

New Poll