corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Jack-knifed lorries

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Jack-knifed lorries
boylers11

User status: Offline
26th Jan 15 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got held up on my way to work this morning by a jack knifed lorry, so it took me 2 hours to do 15 miles.
I think it was in a collision, which is why took so long to clear, but it got me thinking about jack knifing strangely.
I take it the definition of a jack knife is when the trailer to cab angle is less than 90 degrees? What's the normal procedure to undo it? Presumably going forwards isn't possible due to the angle, so is it a case of towing the trailer backwards enough to increase the angle so that the cab can drive forward? Or do you have to unhitch the trailer?
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Jan 15 at 22:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Normally means its mangled so you wouldn't just drive out of it although yes, pull the trailer.
Ben G

27th Jan 15 at 01:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of these cunts caused a 10 mile tailback last week outside my work. Luckily I was on nights so was going home. Everyone going into London got stuck for hours.
Jason x
Premium Member

27th Jan 15 at 01:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Jan 15 at 02:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah deffo single-handedly chose to jackknife his truck with no input from other drivers.
taylorboosh

27th Jan 15 at 06:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably had to brake sharply after Steve sped up so he couldnt pull out of a junction
DaveyLC

27th Jan 15 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sort of on the subject of rescuing lorries: (I can't find it now) but there was a brilliant video doing the rounds of a lorry stuck on a round-a-about because the driver had tried to mount the kerb of the round-a-bout and rive around a car that was in his way, the truck sunk on the grass and got stuck causing a massive traffic jam.

A copper with a LR Disco came to the rescue and he towed the lorry out of the grass (backwards) but the retarded driver then reversed straight into the back of the Disco

I think he was having a bad day

[Edited on 27-01-2015 by DaveyLC]
Ben G

27th Jan 15 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Yeah deffo single-handedly chose to jackknife his truck with no input from other drivers.

Probably tailgating some guy doing an indicated 50mph.
SVM 286

27th Jan 15 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by boylers11
I got held up on my way to work this morning by a jack knifed lorry, so it took me 2 hours to do 15 miles.
I think it was in a collision, which is why took so long to clear, but it got me thinking about jack knifing strangely.
I take it the definition of a jack knife is when the trailer to cab angle is less than 90 degrees? What's the normal procedure to undo it? Presumably going forwards isn't possible due to the angle, so is it a case of towing the trailer backwards enough to increase the angle so that the cab can drive forward? Or do you have to unhitch the trailer?

Normally look like this, so going nowhere fast...

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Jack-knifed lorries 23 database queries in 0.0126522 seconds