corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » My 1998 Opel Corsa B not idling upon start and engine rattling...NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My 1998 Opel Corsa B not idling upon start and engine rattling...NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
clifford_benjamin15

User status: Offline
   28th Jan 15 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I own a 1998 Opel Corsa B car, I used is last night and it worked fine, this morning when I used it to drop someone to work, on the way I began to hear a rattling when ever i accelerated. when not accelerating it would be quite. upon half way up a hill, the car began to lose pressure, i would press down more of the gas pedal but it made no difference. It just cut-out and refused to start. after leaving it for a hour, it started but would not idle. when i try to put it in gear it would cut out. I manage to get it to work a little by putting it in neutral, start it while riving and the switched it in gear fast. I was able to get it moved somewhere safe.
What would cause the rattling?
What would Cause it to idle?
If the old is low, would it do that?
if there is hole in muffler would it cause that?
What is the easiest fix?
Please help
3CorsaMeal

28th Jan 15 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Timing belt tensioner ok?
Dee25790

28th Jan 15 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I second the timing chain for the rattle. When was it last change? Mine gets a little rattly when it needs an oil change, if it's severe rattling belt probably needs a change. Struggling on a hill is sometimes the maf sensor I had this problem. Previous owner of the car (family member) also had a problem with starting.. Car would start, drive fine, stop for twenty mins come back out car wouldn't start..this was the crankshaft sensor. An exhaust problem would also cause it to feel like it had reduced power (not much tho..) but you would know if it was blowing you would hear it. So check those things. Cam chain can be a nightmare or it can be real easy depends how experienced you are.
Dee25790

28th Jan 15 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually yours might be belt.. Which wouldn't explain the rattle. What size is the engine?
clifford_benjamin15

29th Jan 15 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dee25790
I second the timing chain for the rattle. When was it last change? Mine gets a little rattly when it needs an oil change, if it's severe rattling belt probably needs a change. Struggling on a hill is sometimes the maf sensor I had this problem. Previous owner of the car (family member) also had a problem with starting.. Car would start, drive fine, stop for twenty mins come back out car wouldn't start..this was the crankshaft sensor. An exhaust problem would also cause it to feel like it had reduced power (not much tho..) but you would know if it was blowing you would hear it. So check those things. Cam chain can be a nightmare or it can be real easy depends how experienced you are.

The mechanic I took it to, said the head blown and i needed a head gasket, can that be true and would that cause the previous explained problems? (no idle & rattle)

The engine check light is not on, But honestly I drove it since around last October without an Oil Change. That's when i took it over from the previous owners, family member. at that time I want have a radiator problem, it would leak and be empty after driving about 20km. We would stop and replace with water. Since i took ownership I fixed the radiator, but never did an oil change. to say an complete oil change at this point would be far from a fix? I live in Barbados, not many people drive Opels here so finding part at a auto spare is not easy and most likely I would have to import them.

Do the oil change or let the mechanic fixed the "blown head" (as he say). I never head of engine rattle cause by blown head, but i no expert.)

Please help

[Edited on 29-01-2015 by clifford_benjamin15]

[Edited on 29-01-2015 by clifford_benjamin15]
Tiger

29th Jan 15 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say provided the mechanic can guarantee that the problem is head gasket and that it will definitely fix the problem, then let him do it.
clifford_benjamin15

22nd Feb 15 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Guys,
I have some good news and some bad news. Thanks for all your inputs with my head gasket problem. The Mechanic did went ahead and pull down the head and found that water was damaging the head, the previous owner drove it around with water in the radiator for a long time and that caused the head to blow/ give away. He told the head to get fixed and stuff, put it back on the car not drive without the knowing sound it have at the time of the problem. and the power problem is gone too.

However my car is still at the mechanic , cause after he put the head back on the car would not idle, he told me he cleaned the I.A.C Valve and when he put is back on but the car still would not idle, upon recent discovery, the found that there was a wire disconnect from a sensor. the thing is he is not sure what the sensor is called. He told although he connected the disconnected wire but he is still getting idle problems. I have take a picture of the part/sensor what ever is should be. Can you guys tell me what is the name of the sensor/part, so I can order one and get my car back from this mechanic.

I look forward for your response soon. thanks

Regards
Clifford B

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » My 1998 Opel Corsa B not idling upon start and engine rattling...NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 23 database queries in 0.0302570 seconds