corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Finding out if a vehicle has had an engine change?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Finding out if a vehicle has had an engine change?
Tiger

User status: Offline
1st Mar 15 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Y'all,

Would the DVLA give me information regarding changes of engine numbers in the history of a vehicle?

I would be interested to find out if my vehicle has had a change of engine in its lifetime.

Cheers,
Corsa_Sport21

1st Mar 15 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the engine number not stamped anywhere on the car/vin plates? If it's been a like for like CC engine chances of them changing on v5 is unlikely. Check engine number against v5 would be a good start.
Tiger

1st Mar 15 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Engine numbers match V5.
--ToM--

1st Mar 15 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What makes you wanna check? If it's a main dealer re call thing from when the car was new for example they re stamp the new motor to match the old one,

Jag did it years ago they had problems with the linings in the bores wearing drastically so when the cars came back for their first service they would swap the motor and the customer would be oblivious
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

1st Mar 15 at 21:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I believe a HPI check will show that up, assuming the change has been registered.
Tiger

1st Mar 15 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, my T4 transporter has 205,000 miles on it, it's a 1.9TD. The clocks say 175,000 and the guy says the engine and clocks were changed, there's nothingn to support the claim.

I had the engine checked over and it was in really good condition with compression indicating recent rings change. The mechanic reckons it could well have had a reconned engine in it but I find it hard to believe there are no receipts.

I didn't know if I could find out if an engine number change had been registered with the dvla.
richardworrall
Premium Member

1st Mar 15 at 21:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the reg?
3CorsaMeal

1st Mar 15 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As someone who is putting my third engine in my car. Should i be doing some sort of paper work or notifying anyone?
Tiger

1st Mar 15 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by richardworrall
whats the reg?

U2u sent.
Corsa_Sport21

1st Mar 15 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Astra Coupe is on it's 2nd bottom end, and at least it's 3rd cylinder head. Most of which has also been rebuilt with new parts, but no receipts. Only reason I know is I found previous owners project thread on another site. He Had quite a bit bother with it but all good now.
richardworrall
Premium Member

2nd Mar 15 at 13:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry for the delay, U2U replied
Nic Barnes

2nd Mar 15 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
As someone who is putting my third engine in my car. Should i be doing some sort of paper work or notifying anyone?
yes or your car is illegal and shouldnt be on the public roads, or some other internet waffle. tbh, i dont think anyone cares or checks really.
SVM 286

2nd Mar 15 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

You're using a new block aren't you Jim?
3CorsaMeal

2nd Mar 15 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, new block and a vege rebuilt head, the head came with its own new number on the side, like a stuck on plate.

Block was a new VW item and did have some numbers on, but i've have to check what they were, iirc it was a date.
--ToM--

2nd Mar 15 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People fuss about "matching numbers" in work because there classics and investments and it matters considerably especially with regards to value of the car, don't get why people are bothered about run of the mill shit having had an engine swap
SVM 286

2nd Mar 15 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yeah, new block and a vege rebuilt head, the head came with its own new number on the side, like a stuck on plate.

Block was a new VW item and did have some numbers on, but i've have to check what they were, iirc it was a date.

So is there a blank and you're supposed to transfer your original number, or does it have it's own unique engine number?
--ToM--

2nd Mar 15 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The numbers on it will be manufacturer numbers and date stamps it won't have an engine number as it isn't an engine it's only a block and hadn't been assigned to a car
SVM 286

2nd Mar 15 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah ha, i've never had to change just a block.

So can he legally transfer his engine number do you know Tom?
--ToM--

2nd Mar 15 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As far as I'm aware yes mate! Iv done it a few times in work, only with brand new blocks not replacement full engines as they sllready have a number so grinding it off and re stamping is naughty lol
SVM 286

2nd Mar 15 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only block or short motor work I ever did was rebuilds, so the only new stuff was internal.

It's never been an issue and it's never even occurred to me.

Makes you wonder how many of these valuable 'matching numbers' cars, might not be on the original engine. Just a re-stamped
replacement block.
3CorsaMeal

2nd Mar 15 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --ToM--
People fuss about "matching numbers" in work because there classics and investments and it matters considerably especially with regards to value of the car, don't get why people are bothered about run of the mill shit having had an engine swap

I had a bloke come round to pick up some fishing parts and he started telling me this, "oh its a shame as its not the original engine, Will be worth more with the original"

Tbh i've never cared about the future, what its worth etc, its mine and i'll do what i want.

3CorsaMeal

2nd Mar 15 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
Ah ha, i've never had to change just a block.

So can he legally transfer his engine number do you know Tom?

I'll have to look into this then. I still have the original engine. The plate on the head has its own number, which i think is for veges reference.
SVM 286

2nd Mar 15 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'd be nice if you could Jim.

I mean, if you've gone to the bother of building an engine up from scratch, from as much new stock as is possible rather than just heaving a scrap yard engine in there from a write-off, then it would be nice if you could retain your original numbers.

Especially if the new block has been assigned no number of it's own.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Finding out if a vehicle has had an engine change? 23 database queries in 0.0276139 seconds