corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » SpellingSport.co.uk - grammar nazis in here

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author SpellingSport.co.uk - grammar nazis in here
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
18th May 15 at 07:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

By signature I hereby acknowledge receiving lightbox with printed fabric and that the vinyl printed menu has been fitted in accordance with the agreed quality and standard.

Name: _________
Date: __________
Signature: _________

Is this acceptable English?

Thanks.

Eck
Premium Member

18th May 15 at 07:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My English isn't the best, but I'd imagine there would be a comma after signature?
Dom

18th May 15 at 08:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I hereby acknowledge receiving the lightbox with printed fabric and that the vinyl printed menu has been fitted in accordance to the agreed quality and standard.

That'd be my take on it.
Although if it's a posted formal letter then the layout would be a little different (usually you prefix the contents with to and from addresses plus date and postfix with signature and printed name) and you'd obviously use the appropriate salutation and valediction/closing.

[Edited on 18-05-2015 by Dom]
pow
Premium Member

18th May 15 at 08:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesn't read 'nicely' but I'm not sure quite what rules it breaks
Balling
Premium Member

18th May 15 at 09:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Dom. I did think "By signature" might have been better as "By signing this document".

Leaving it out entirely works just as well, though.

It's not posted. The sign writer will bring the document along with him and get it signed before leaving.

Pow, it doesn't read nicely as in "obviously written by a foreigner" or as in "not quite sure what I'm signing"?
The former I can live with.

basslinecorsa
Premium Member

18th May 15 at 10:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:

I hereby acknowledge receipt of a lightbox with printed fabric, that the vinyl printed menu has been fitted, according to the agreed quality and standard.

Is this acceptable English?

Thanks.

[Edited on 18-05-2015 by basslinecorsa]

Project Scarlett - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=661417
Dom

18th May 15 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Cheers Dom. I did think "By signature" might have been better as "By signing this document".

Leaving it out entirely works just as well, though.

"By signature," sounds like very old English to me, which is fine as it does make sense but i can't say i've ever seen it written on any business documents hence why i'd leave it out.

quote:
Originally posted by basslinecorsa
I hereby acknowledge receipt of a lightbox with printed fabric, that the vinyl printed menu has been fitted, according to the agreed quality and standard.

'Receipt' is certainly a good synonym but the commas aren't needed as there's only two 'items' listed in the sentence, ie - the lightbox and the menu. Plus using 'a lightbox' instead of 'the lightbox' would denote that you received a random lightbox rather than a particular lightbox - obviously if 'lightbox with printed fabric' is a name then you wouldn't use either.
Balling
Premium Member

18th May 15 at 11:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys.

[Edited on 18-05-2015 by Balling]

Gary
Premium Member

18th May 15 at 14:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Comma after fitted dosent seem right?

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » SpellingSport.co.uk - grammar nazis in here 24 database queries in 0.0095801 seconds