corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Any joiners/kitchen fitters/ cabinet makers

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Any joiners/kitchen fitters/ cabinet makers
Dee25790

User status: Offline
1st Jun 15 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need a router bit to cut through two layers of plasterboard and 12mm plywood.

The bit itself needs to be 5-8mm ideally.

Ideally able to cut up to 50mm.

I've been using a Holesaw and jigsaw but it's getting annoying so considering buying a router to do it, I just don't know if I will be able to buy a router bit capable of doing what I want.

Dave

1st Jun 15 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's it for? Putting a lot of strain on an 8mm bit, typically use 12mm for routing those sort of depths.
Never used a router on plasterboard either, it should cut through easy enough but I'd imagine it would produce a fair amount of dust.
AndyKent

1st Jun 15 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said, whats it for?

Height adjustable circular saw might be better for straight runs.
Dee25790

1st Jun 15 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cutting back boxes into plyboard lined walls. Jigsaw does fine (bit rough sometimes) just that a cordless dewalt router would be far easier to handle and leave a smoother hole.

Dave after I posted that I did think that was pretty small and had a nose on eBay there's a few bits that look appropriate all 12mm but I don't know what type of bit I need to look for
Dave

1st Jun 15 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drilling two corners and joining them up with the jigsaw will still be easier than a router.
Dee25790

1st Jun 15 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not set up like a normal router though where it takes two hands to control. It's essentially a cyclinder with the bit poking out the end. Somewhat like a die grinder actually.

Problem with a jigsaw is that the blades aren't quite long enough to get through the full depth. Also bend and flex so the back of the hole ends up smaller diameter than the front of the hole. If you get a longer blade the blades snap and come flying past your face haha hence why I'm looking for a new soloution
Dave

1st Jun 15 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Problem is a router that size will take a 1/4" shank and you won't get a cutter long enough. If you're struggling you could get a holesaw the same size as the back box and just use the jigsaw to square the corners up. A decent jigsaw should piss through two plasterboards and 1/2" ply though, have you got the pendulum switched on and using decent blades?
Dee25790

1st Jun 15 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah that's that idea out the window then. I do use a holesaw and the jigsaw to square it up and Yeah Bosch or dewalt blades. Dewalt or makita corded or cordless fan cooled dewalt jigsaw (old nicd not the newer crap). It does cut through it no problem it just doesn't leave it as a straight cut from the top plasterboard to the back of the ply if that makes sense. It's not to bad when on the floor but once you get onto a step ladder it gets a bit harder to handle.

Might try the reciprocating saw for on the ladder I've got a couple of those knocking about

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Any joiners/kitchen fitters/ cabinet makers 23 database queries in 0.0062859 seconds