corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Brake fluid change

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Brake fluid change
big eck

User status: Offline
4th Jun 15 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok so I have all the parts waiting to go on the car to fit my new discs and pads but before I do I need to swap out the old fluid.

What's the best stuff to go with bearing in mind I do the odd track day. The car is used everyday with the missus with the wee one in it so it needs to be user friendly. I had pagid stuff fitted last time but it boiled the fluid on its first track outing after 2 laps. It also goes off after some spirited driving on the roads.

I was going to fit ATE super blue (now rebranded typ200) but was told it's pretty much the same as pagid fluid.

Is there anything else that fits the bill that I might not know about???

[Edited on 04-06-2015 by big eck]
basslinecorsa
Premium Member

4th Jun 15 at 11:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have both pagid and ATE type 200 in stock

Pagid DOT 5.1
dry boiling point = 269 deg / wet boiling point = 184 deg

ATE Type 200
dry boiling point = 280 deg / wet boiling point = 190 deg

To be fair, its hard to boil your brake fluid and if you do its generally down to using the wrong pads. Best place to spend you cash is on a decent pad, that will make the most difference to your brakes. I highly recommend Performance Friction 08 for pretty much anything, but if your getting very hot then go with the Performance Friction 11

Project Scarlett - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=661417
ed

4th Jun 15 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above - obviously use good quality fluid. Another reason DOT fluid boils is because it's not been changed recently enough, what with it being hygroscopic. So if you're worried about boiling it, use good pads and keep the fluid fresh.
big eck

4th Jun 15 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have red stuff pads to go on. I know they have had a really bad rep in the past but I've used the greens, yellows and reds in the past without any issues.

Is motul rbf660 ok for everyday use??? Found 2ltrs of it for £48.
basslinecorsa
Premium Member

4th Jun 15 at 13:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any brake fluid (as long as it is amber - the reason superblue has been discontinued) is ok for everyday use, but you may find that some race fluids need to be replaced more frequently. I personally use the ATE as its fine for 3 years or so before needing replacing. The RBF660 has a very high boiling point but then if you use good pads you wont be overheating.

EBC Redstuff are almost passable as a road pad, but I would not go anywhere near a track with them. They can cope with temps upto 350 deg then they disintegrate. The brake fade is certainly from the pads and not the brake fluid boiling.

[Edited on 04-06-2015 by basslinecorsa]

Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Jun 15 at 13:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been using the ATE Blue stuff fine in mine without a problem.

How do you know the Fluid is making your braking go off and not your pads? I've not heard particularly good stuff about the EBC XXX Range of pads lately.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
basslinecorsa
Premium Member

4th Jun 15 at 14:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brake fade is where you push on the pedal and the brakes dont work, you have pedal feel but no friction. As a result of this you tend to push harder on the pedal and get caliper flex so the pedal goes down more.

Boiling your brake fluid is where you push on the pedal and get a foot full of nothing, just bury it into the carpet with no brakes.

big eck

4th Jun 15 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So basically any decent fluid will then. Good stuff, I'll just go for the ate typ200 from ECP. £13/ltr so it's cheap enough to replace if it's no use.
craig8
Premium Member

4th Jun 15 at 16:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use superblue/typ200 in the bmw and it's more than up to the job for trackdays

E36 328
AK

9th Jun 15 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we used to use cheapo motorfactor 5.1 in the GTR in TimeAttack - no fluid boiling issues.

Fit decent pads

RBF660 will do the job nicely - overkill infact

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Brake fluid change 24 database queries in 0.0102260 seconds