corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Slid into a kerb with rear wheel and steering alignment now wrong?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Slid into a kerb with rear wheel and steering alignment now wrong?
Jamie-C

User status: Offline
1st Sep 15 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This bit looks to be the weakest part but cant see any obvious signs of damage to it.

Would it effect anything if it was bent?

DaveyLC

1st Sep 15 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, it would put the camber out..
--ToM--

1st Sep 15 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jamie aren't you a mechanic by trade or am I think if of someone else?
ShEp

1st Sep 15 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drifting at 20mph?

Bull....that's taken a hell of a whack to do that to the wheel, as it hasnt snapped off cleanly.
3CorsaMeal

1st Sep 15 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Over a ton of weight moving 20mph involves quite a bit of force to stop. If you ran into a wall at 10mph it would hurt.
ShEp

1st Sep 15 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
Over a ton of weight moving 20mph involves quite a bit of force to stop. If you ran into a wall at 10mph it would hurt.

Dee25790

1st Sep 15 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal

johnny86
Premium Member

1st Sep 15 at 19:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hit a bus stop at 15mph. Cost me 3500 and new bumper, 2 x headlights and drivers wing
--ToM--

1st Sep 15 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably wasn't even 20mph if it was done whilst "drifting" don't know what it's like around other areas of the UK but by me it's full of little turd sacks in mx5 and ropey old e36 and e46 bmws who think that finding a little round about on an industrial estate and sliding round in on the limiter in 1st gear in the same direction continuously makes them drift kings.
broster
Premium Member

1st Sep 15 at 20:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie-C
This bit looks to be the weakest part but cant see any obvious signs of damage to it.

Would it effect anything if it was bent?

Yes, that part has a cut in it which allows it to bend so you don't damage the sub frame. Seems BMW knew this might happen and designed their cars to have a sacrificial £30 ish arm so the sub frame doesn't bend. Disputes with cs says!
broster
Premium Member

1st Sep 15 at 20:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
If a pot hole is deep enough to consume a 255/50 tyre I'd say that's more of a 'crater'.
cant argue with you davey, you seem to know more about the goings on in my previous employment than the items i seen, so thats cool. keep up the good work.

Lol! I've seen so many BMW wheels crack, out of 10 wheels we have in for repair 8 will be BMW, true story.

Dee25790

1st Sep 15 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
quote:
quote:
If a pot hole is deep enough to consume a 255/50 tyre I'd say that's more of a 'crater'.
cant argue with you davey, you seem to know more about the goings on in my previous employment than the items i seen, so thats cool. keep up the good work.

Lol! I've seen so many BMW wheels crack, out of 10 wheels we have in for repair 8 will be BMW, true story.

i was always told if you cracked a wheel just bin it. By the time you've tried to repair it another crack will have opened up or you've weakened the wheel overall.

It was because of a repair on a bmw wheel that went wrong that caused my dad to stop repairing them

Or do you just do the repair and send it back out?
ShEp

1st Sep 15 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

LandRover ones are pretty poop too.
--ToM--

1st Sep 15 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So are vxr 19s
--ToM--

1st Sep 15 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing wrong with a welded wheel dee.

Saying that there trying to bring it into the MOT regs that a welded wheel is a failure. It'll never happen though.
broster
Premium Member

1st Sep 15 at 20:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dee25790
quote:
quote:
quote:

i was always told if you cracked a wheel just bin it. By the time you've tried to repair it another crack will have opened up or you've weakened the wheel overall.

It was because of a repair on a bmw wheel that went wrong that caused my dad to stop repairing them

No offence to your dads repairs, but it does depend on how it's repaired. We see loads that other people have "repaired" and they are a joke! We do a lot of wheel repairs, yes some we don't repair because they are to far gone, but it's amazing what can be fixed!
--ToM--

1st Sep 15 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you seen the delightful slug welds right over the top of the crack with a crack right through the weld aswell haha.

Do you cut a Vee in the crack and wedge it? Then grind the weld back so you can't tell it's been done?
Graham88

2nd Sep 15 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rear camber arms.

They're not strong
Dee25790

2nd Sep 15 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dee25790
quote:
quote:
quote:

No offence to your dads repairs, but it does depend on how it's repaired. We see loads that other people have "repaired" and they are a joke! We do a lot of wheel repairs, yes some we don't repair because they are to far gone, but it's amazing what can be fixed!

The bmw realise was done by a lad they use all the time but was on my dads head as he had commissioned Andy to do it. It was probably more just I can't be arsed with doing them anymore than it not being possible to do. I assumed he told me refuse them as it wasn't worthwhile.

Good to know where to go next time I twat a kerb though
3CorsaMeal

2nd Sep 15 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought a set of alloys on ebay and two had been welded and one was egg shaped, couldn't tell with the tyres on (tyre shop showed me afterwards)

I binned 3 of them.
ShEp

2nd Sep 15 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --ToM--
Have you seen the delightful slug welds right over the top of the crack with a crack right through the weld aswell haha.

Do you cut a Vee in the crack and wedge it? Then grind the weld back so you can't tell it's been done?

Only way to do it really, the slugs can be done by anyone and don't last 5 minutes.

My mate hit a rock in his S3, wheel had a 5inch hole in it, and it was repaired, I know quite a few aluminium welders, I can do it myself too, but I'm not that great at it.
AndyCorsaSport

2nd Sep 15 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My sisters golf has R32 wheels on and one of them has been repaired, it's like a big slug on the inside of the alloy.

She's had the car 2 years and it's been fine for the last 20k miles, didn't even know it was like that untill it went for some new tyres.
chris_uk
Premium Member

3rd Sep 15 at 07:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you have rear toe adjustments?

If you do you will of knocked it out which would explain why its out.

If you knocked it in then your steering wheel will be trying to turn the opposite way.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Slid into a kerb with rear wheel and steering alignment now wrong? 23 database queries in 0.0498409 seconds