corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » VW PD170 engine problem

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author VW PD170 engine problem
cunningham

User status: Offline
17th Dec 15 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey folks ive got a leon FR on an 08 plate that seems to be losing coolant. Radiator was replaced as it was weeping out the bottom join. new bottle, cap and sensor was put in to. im going from max to coolant warning on the dash in around 3 weeks so not a major leak. Its had a pressure test done and a sniff test and the EGR cooler checked by VW. What would be the next thing to check.

My mates the service manager at VW and said it may be a head off job to check for any cracks. There is no water in the oil or oil in the water. Held pressure when cold but dropped abit when hot. Could this be a crack that's only showing up due to thermal expansion? Or does the pressure normally go down after 30 seconds due to everything cooling?
jay26

17th Dec 15 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heads cracking is quite a common problem on those engines. I would take the head off and have it checked and pressure tested as the next step.
3CorsaMeal

17th Dec 15 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do the coolant pipes get overly hard? Any damp carpets under the dash re heater matrix.

I used to find leaks by going for a hard drive then stopping and looking for steam etc
cunningham

17th Dec 15 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jay, done abit of research on the heads and mine is rev 3 so was hoping I would be in the all clear. It is the next step but I will save that for in the new year I think. Sisters BF said run the car up to temp then pressure test the system and leave it on over night. Remove the plugs and check for any coolant in the cylinders?
--ToM--

17th Dec 15 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What makes you so sure it's an internal leak
cunningham

17th Dec 15 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not so sure TOM but ive had the guys at VW check the system all over. Would an external leak not show up on the pressure test?
VegasPhil
Premium Member

17th Dec 15 at 21:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Water pump? Has it been changed recently?

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
--ToM--

17th Dec 15 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You would think so, Iv had leaks not show on hot and cold pressure tests but be there when the car is at full operating temp and full pressure, some can be s total nightmare as they leak onto a hot area and evaporate instantly are hard to find.

Is the water pump visible on this car? Or behind covers?
ShEp

17th Dec 15 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Head will be cracked, its a common fault on 2.0 vw/audi engines.

Make sure if the head is replaced, that the injector seals are replaced, and pressed in properly, as it will cause issues if they're not.

[Edited on 17-12-2015 by ShEp]
cunningham

17th Dec 15 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shEp with it being an 08 plate, last of the PD's and rev 3 head I was hoping against a cracked head tbh. im not being charged for diagnostic at VW and labour is cheap anyways. Can the head be repaired if its cracked or is it a bin job?
3CorsaMeal

17th Dec 15 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Crack an egg into it imo

My grandads mate from the legion fixed a montego head gasket with an ostrich and drove it to france and backj with no problems other than the fag lighter not lighting up. It worked but didn't illuminate. Always was a bit iffy he told me. Decent ride and beat a rover coupe off the Swaffham bypass slip road. Alot of car for the money.

ShEp

19th Dec 15 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by cunningham
shEp with it being an 08 plate, last of the PD's and rev 3 head I was hoping against a cracked head tbh. im not being charged for diagnostic at VW and labour is cheap anyways. Can the head be repaired if its cracked or is it a bin job?

We didn't attempt a repair, just bought a brand new head.

I know the rev3 head's were supposed to be better, but I've still heard horror stories.
Stuart H

19th Dec 15 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 13 plate Astra cdti has been lossing coolant for the last few months as well , couldn't find anything on the pressure test or around anything , ended up that it was a gasket between the inlet manifold and the head apparently , warranty job

[Edited on 19-12-2015 by Stuart H]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » VW PD170 engine problem 24 database queries in 0.0069621 seconds