corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Advice Please

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Advice Please
MikeD

User status: Offline
28th Jul 03 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive decided to buy some new speakers for my car (standard ones are sh*t) but due to a very tight budget its not going to be the greatest.

I currently have a Kenwood Headunit 4x50w? and thinking about staying with Kenwood seen some speakers I like.
kfc-7189ie 320w Back 6x9's
kfc-1389ie 150w Front 13cm's
or may have kfc-1789ie 220w 17cms in the front??

At the moment these will be connected to the HU (will this sound ok) what RMS are they all (how do i work it out). also eventually im looking to get a 4 channel Amp for the speakers and 2 channel for a sub, what wattage Amp would be best for these speakers.

ill worry about the 2 channel amp and sub later.

thanks in advance

[Edited on 28-07-2003 by new2styling]
CORS4

User status: Offline
28th Jul 03 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

alright m8

there shouldn't be a prob connecting speakers to your hd unit, after all like you said your std ones are shite, so better speakers wont blow under the hd units internal amp (4x50)

in gerneral most speaker's rms figures are a little less than half of the max output, but this is a very rough guide.

ie, 300watt max may only produce 120rms

my components are 225max but 85rms. (infinty kappa 50.5)

my advice though, instead of getting a 2ch amp for you sub (although nothing wrong) is to get a mono amp. these are designed to run subs and provide better power also it is possible to run two subs with one of these amps. most mono amps (aka mono blocks) i know of are digital.

kfc-7189ie:
max power 320w
rms 80w

kfc-1789ie:
max 220w
rms 55w

kfc-1389ie:
max 150w
rms 38w

i found these figures on the kenwood site.

http://www.kenwoodeurope.com/products/FirstProd.aspx?k1=2

when your looking for an amp for your speakers you want to the rms figures to match.

ie ch amp
2x150 max, 2x50rms would be ideal for kfc-1789ie

as long as the max on the amp doesnt exceed the speakers stated max then you shouldn't blow them.

if the amp does exceed the speaker then care should be taken when using the gain control on the amp, as too high will blow your speakers.

understand all this so far?

the best thing for you if you are on a budget is rather than buy front spkrs and rear spkrs. just buy a good set of components up front, dont bother with the rear ones.

amp these (front) up with a 2ch amp

then amp up your sub, that should be enough for any respectable system.

ask anyone whos knows a thing or two about ice and they'll tell you the same.

hope this little bit of info has helped m8

Alex

if you really do want some rear speakers then go ahead, but it would be best to buy coxials rather tha 6x9s as the signal going to these and the sub could intefere with each other.

i do have speakers at the back but they're not amped jus there for rear fill.

[Edited on 28-07-2003 by CORS4]

New Poll