corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Lowering springs on standard dampers

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Lowering springs on standard dampers
whitter45

User status: Offline
   30th Aug 03 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would it be possibe to fit 60mm lowering springs onto my original dampers. im thinking of getting some just wanted peoples thoghts on it!
Leven Cruise

30th Aug 03 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Of course its possible. Not advisable tho.

The shocks will be worn out pretty soon.

My advice is bite the bullet first time, and
buy a full kit.. itll feel and handle much better anyway
whitter45

30th Aug 03 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate. Any one else have opinions or does everyone agree with Leven Cruise
Leven Cruise

30th Aug 03 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, not eveyrone will agree...

I ran my old -60 springs on standard shocks for a while, and the car bounced around badly. It looked cool, but drove shit.

As soon as I got an FK full kit.. with shortened and uprated dampers.. what a difference it made like... was well impressed.. my car sits lower with the shortened dampers too.

Kris TD

30th Aug 03 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont do it, you will regret it.
stuyw

30th Aug 03 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if u can afford it get the full kit as it will work out cheaper in the long run
the_legend_of_yrag

30th Aug 03 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What would be the best full kit? I got some -60mm gmax springs so what dampers would go well with them?
stuyw

30th Aug 03 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

g-max shox??
euro_boy

30th Aug 03 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kris TD

i've had my car down 80mm on standard shocks and they still fine.. yes the handling is sh1te with a capital S.. at times.. but i dont drive fast, especially in a 1.2 cos its boring. drop it -60mm and drive slower!
Dan_Corsa

31st Aug 03 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by euro_boy
quote:

i've had my car down 80mm on standard shocks and they still fine.. yes the handling is sh1te with a capital S.. at times.. but i dont drive fast, especially in a 1.2 cos its boring. drop it -60mm and drive slower!

until it goes for its mot and the jack up the rear and the rear springs fall out this happened to my mates girlfriends nova and its only lowered 60mm hence you can't lower a corsa at the rear any more than 40mm with out shortened shocks other wise every year you'll have to change your suspension round or fit new dampers(the corsa has a cradle at the rear which works like sissors the smaller spring the more it drops but when u jack it up the springs are to short and fall out)
corsa starter

31st Aug 03 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so 40mm all round on standard shocks what about tht???? it gonna still be bouncy and handle crappy?
euro_boy

31st Aug 03 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Corsa
quote:
quote:

until it goes for its mot and the jack up the rear and the rear springs fall out this happened to my mates girlfriends nova and its only lowered 60mm hence you can't lower a corsa at the rear any more than 40mm with out shortened shocks other wise every year you'll have to change your suspension round or fit new dampers(the corsa has a cradle at the rear which works like sissors the smaller spring the more it drops but when u jack it up the springs are to short and fall out)

i've actually passed two MOTs with my car down 60mm! plus i've jacked it up numerous amounts of times for various reasons, even when it was down 80mm and the springs NEVER fell out. and i believe the test is much more rigorous in Northern Ireland where i live
Mistamist

31st Aug 03 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its alright at first but when the dampers get shagged the springs clink together and it bounces more then a crack whores bed!
Dan_Corsa

31st Aug 03 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

i've actually passed two MOTs with my car down 60mm! plus i've jacked it up numerous amounts of times for various reasons, even when it was down 80mm and the springs NEVER fell out. and i believe the test is much more rigorous in Northern Ireland where i live

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_240.htm

2. Check that both ends of each spring are correctly located fail for = A coil spring end not correctly located.
3. check that the spring mountings are secure fail for = A coil spring loose

my 40mm springs where bordline of falling out when jacked up at the rear so 60/80mm are deffo gonna fall out with out the use of shortened shocks

[Edited on 31-08-2003 by Dan_Corsa]
MattyB

31st Aug 03 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I ran -50mm for 18months on standard 93 LS shocks, that already had 120k miles on em.

Ride remained perfect for the whole time

Matt
euro_boy

31st Aug 03 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_240.htm

2. Check that both ends of each spring are correctly located fail for = A coil spring end not correctly located.
3. check that the spring mountings are secure fail for = A coil spring loose

my 40mm springs where bordline of falling out when jacked up at the rear so 60/80mm are deffo gonna fall out with out the use of shortened shocks

[Edited on 31-08-2003 by Dan_Corsa]

so you are calling me a liar then?
Dan_Corsa

31st Aug 03 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nope,i was just stating what i had seen,and know from my experience,nova suspension is set up the same as the corsa i saw 60mm springs literally fall on the floor when the rear was jacked up to fit my old alloys on
Mistamist

31st Aug 03 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my brother in law lowered his on standard dampers by 60mm took a speed bump a but too fast and on the way up out came the passenger side rear spring and went rolling down the road. not too clever!!
Dan_Corsa

31st Aug 03 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mistdotcom
my brother in law lowered his on standard dampers by 60mm took a speed bump a but too fast and on the way up out came the passenger side rear spring and went rolling down the road. not too clever!!

exactly what i am saying ITS DANGEROUS AND A MOT FAILURE
KennyT

31st Aug 03 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my corsa b is lowered 60mm on standard shocks and when you jack the rear up it is possible to take the springs out but they aren't loose enough just to fall out. my cars 3 years old tomorro and an MOT will follow this week so i'll keep you posted on whether or not it passes.
Dan_Corsa

31st Aug 03 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by KennyT
my corsa b is lowered 60mm on standard shocks and when you jack the rear up it is possible to take the springs out but they aren't loose enough just to fall out. my cars 3 years old tomorro and an MOT will follow this week so i'll keep you posted on whether or not it passes.

more than likely it will pass as most garages will put it on a ramp take it in the air and just pull the body of the car down to check the damping and make sure the springs or shocks ain't worn,but some garages do jack the cars up to simulate a rear wheel change etc,more than likely pass but its a failable possibilty if noticed

New Poll