corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Tuning the 1.4 16v sport.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tuning the 1.4 16v sport.
carnoisseurcraig

User status: Offline
8th Oct 03 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Over the winter my car will be going under a few changes. Firstly is the engine. Not gonna ungrade it for a valver, i wanna tune up the oe engine even more. Has anyone else done serious mods to these engines. Eg cams, headwork, ditching std injection for throttle bodies, mantzel power box etc etc.

Any info would be good on the pro and cons of the serious mods money value etc.

I know throwing in a 2 litre will give me more power to money bla bla bla but thats not wot im wanting. I want a 1.4 that will shift
Cybermonkey

8th Oct 03 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i suggest you throw in the 1.6.
MikeH

8th Oct 03 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by carnoisseurcraig
Over the winter my car will be going under a few changes. Firstly is the engine. Not gonna ungrade it for a valver, i wanna tune up the oe engine even more. Has anyone else done serious mods to these engines. Eg cams, headwork, ditching std injection for throttle bodies, mantzel power box etc etc.

Any info would be good on the pro and cons of the serious mods money value etc.

I know throwing in a 2 litre will give me more power to money bla bla bla but thats not wot im wanting. I want a 1.4 that will shift

Do you WANT to spend buckets of money?
miles

8th Oct 03 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a c16xe with throttle bodies, cams, headwork etc. I would reccomend it to anyone! There is a nova with the 1.4 16v (goes by CP@novaload) he's got about 160bhp and did a 0-60 in 6.02 at trax, has done a 1/4 is 14.92 IIRC. On the track at trax he left everyone else for dead, 2.0 valvers, turbo's, the lot.
MikeH

8th Oct 03 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 2.0 16v would win over a longer distance as it picked up momentum.
Cybermonkey

8th Oct 03 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but the lightweight and nippy Nova is perfect for 1/4 miles since it builds up speed so fast.
carnoisseurcraig

8th Oct 03 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want to keep the 1.4. If i wanted a 1.6 i would have bought one.

let just say i have a wee bit to spend on the car. Thats what im getting at miles. I like that idea of whipping a 2 litre down the track. Yeah ok it will cost a bit of money, im not denying the fact. but how pissed off would u be if u had a 2 litre and just got toasted by a 1.4 GUTTED

Miles, what throttle bodies and cams did ya use. Ive already ported and flowed my head when the gasket went. Couldnt afford cams at the time.
miles

8th Oct 03 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use jenvey parallel 40's with DTA management. The cams are piper fast road/race ones, model number 285 I think, although they are not 285degs. About 264 I think, they are fairly mild, I only got them cause they were cheap on here.

MikeH, thats rubbish.
ffls

8th Oct 03 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Miles,

Who did that conversion and how much did you pay?
miles

8th Oct 03 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did it with a mate. Bought the bits from various places, new and used.
Fad

8th Oct 03 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not puttin a wet blanket down but i wish i hadn't wasted my money tuning my 1.4 16v had cams, head work, full exhaust and decat, air filter etc...was goin to go the whole hog...it just lacked a lot of torque and the punch u get from a bigger engine. Not saying dont do it (seeing as you might have a good sound engine to start with) jst from expereince its better to tune the 1.6 or the 2litre.
blackula

8th Oct 03 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 1.4 is a good motor std, its only slow if you compare it with others. the 1.4 16v gives the Ford Zetec 1.6 Fiesta a doing over if you drive it right. I know I had two.

I have the 1.2 but the mainfold is a fookin amazing mod. the nearest paralele I can think of is like beofe and after manifold and chip (u need both) is like stepping out of a 1.1 Fiesta or 1.2 Nova and into an XR2i or Nova GTE. the difference is daft. All the things like system and drilled air box are the icing on the cake. Then you have the option of different injection system and cams the world is your oyster., But pound for pound follow this chain...

airbox-filter-inlet man-dastek (or similar)-full system-cams/decat/head etc
ffls

8th Oct 03 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After Airbox+filter+Mantzel+superchip+exhaust Group A+Decat pipe I got 115 bhp at 7000 rpm and a much wider power band, between 5000 rpm and 7300 rpm the engine revs much faster than the original one

P.S: A have also blocked the EGR vaccum pipe and use V-Power (optimax) fuel and the car seems to pull better+increased fuel pressure
Wolf In Welsh Clothing

8th Oct 03 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you've got £5000 to spend then give Velos a consideration.
Bore out to 1650cc, headwork, throttle boddies, cams, race spec engine management and possibly fitting too for that price.
191+bhp and 8000+rpm sounds very nice!

New Poll