corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Vauxhall knowledge and engine transplants.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Vauxhall knowledge and engine transplants.
chris_lee100

User status: Offline
26th Mar 04 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For those of you that are extremely handy with a set of tools, how long has it took you to become so well skilled. I spend all day working on no cars, I change my own oil, spark plugs, general service etc.

Just wondering how hard it is to do engine transplants safely and efficiently as Ive just bought a garage and am thinking of having a go myself, say a 2.0 16v non turbo into a corsa. Surely it would be a great way to learn something if nothing else ....... ?
mike16v

26th Mar 04 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah mate just take ure time and follow the process, not that difficult to do if u do it step by step
Colin

26th Mar 04 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go for it, from what I hear its pretty straight forward-ish and theres always people on here to put you right on any problems
chris_lee100

26th Mar 04 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i suppose, i just read that guys post who owns the Clio Williams, never really considered the C20LET as I thought it would wheel spin all day, it would be for a car on the side as a bit of fun
Colin

26th Mar 04 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_lee100
yeah i suppose, i just read that guys post who owns the Clio Williams, never really considered the C20LET as I thought it would wheel spin all day, it would be for a car on the side as a bit of fun

Its a Clio 16v but yeah the LET's are great fun, although Id preffer a 2.0 16v tuned on TB's myself I think
chris_lee100

26th Mar 04 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thing is Ive always wanted the whoosh of a dump valve too !! I actually had a corsa 1.2 as my last car, Ive had a mint Calibra for the last 12 months and since Ive been offered a garage Im havin a bit of a mid life criis @ 21 !! Im defo keepin my current car but fancied something extra, Its either gonna be a Cally turbo for the play of 4x4 or a LET corsa, i think it would be fun playing with the scoobies but dont know if the corsa could actually get the power down though ........
J da Silva

26th Mar 04 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not as easy as a lot of people on here make out, like i've said before it's just nice to say 'i had no problems it slots straight in'

if you were to come out of the dreamland and get a realistic point of view them my advice would be get a run around to drive while your corsa is having a new engine, when your working on the car, make a note of any problems you came across, with either wiring, fitment of the engine into the corsa bay itself,where to mount rad,oil cooler etc

the driveability is good if you drive it right, i took my time with mine, took me 3weeks to do mine, used to spend 5 or 6 hours on it on saturday and sunday,and coz i was working through the week i just had the odd few hours afterwork in the week
good learning curve, and ideal if you have another motor to drive while its going off
chris_lee100

26th Mar 04 at 23:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and just how fast is it 0-60, I can imagine it is not a car to be thrashed around bends but straight line eg joining motorway mut be fun, I am temped to get all the bits together and get my mate to do it but then I think I am passing on the learning opportunity, but I guess I could closely observe. Can you realisitcally tune them with Phase kits BTW ??
J da Silva

27th Mar 04 at 00:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends how tuned the engine is, i think they knock out 6-7 seconds when in a cally, not quite sure on that one
surely in a corsa they will be quicker due to corsa bein a light car.

they are better than expected on cornering, i test drove mine on some country lanes and it stuck to the road as i booted through some corners

im sure if your mate did it you could help him and watch what he does

what do you mean by phase kits, chipping or turbo kits?
Colin

27th Mar 04 at 00:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought of getting a Cally Turbo untill I got to know of the problems with them, particularly the Transfer Boxes. Then I spoke to a friend of a friend who thought he had a good un but and has spent £4k fixing it in 6 months.....kinda put me off

As for a conversion, yeah gather as much information as you can and give it a go, end of the day if it dont work out doing it yourself theres plenty people that could fit it for you
Colin

27th Mar 04 at 00:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As for phase kit's yeah AP racing's on here is tuned to about 260/280BHP im pretty sure? (phase2 I think???)
chris_lee100

27th Mar 04 at 00:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea the book figure on cally t's is around 6.4-6.8 as I remember but they are four wheel drive so is it not debateable that they will always be quicker despite the power-wieght difference ??

RE my earlier post, say if I bought anoter cally (turbo) I would wanna put phase 3.5 chips in with say, stage 5 boost control, perhaps an 8.1 litre intercooler, uprated actuater, and twin piston dump valve, will they ALL fit in a corsa ??
J da Silva

27th Mar 04 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

few of the cally t's ive come across have been electronically and mechanically good, i only heard of dodgy transfer boxes on the web forums. but dont really need to worry as i dont have a calibra
Colin

27th Mar 04 at 00:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
yea the book figure on cally t's is around 6.4-6.8 as I remember but they are four wheel drive so is it not debateable that they will always be quicker despite the power-wieght difference ??

RE my earlier post, say if I bought anoter cally (turbo) I would wanna put phase 3.5 chips in with say, stage 5 boost control, perhaps an 8.1 litre intercooler, uprated actuater, and twin piston dump valve, will they ALL fit in a corsa ??

Need to get the angle grinder out to fit the IC in there, but its all good
chris_lee100

27th Mar 04 at 00:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well if I got one id change the t/box oil twice a year, rotate tyres etc. , there are goodies out there but they are like rockin horse shit and yeah alot of them shake like a shittin dog
J da Silva

27th Mar 04 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

yes you can get various turbo parts for the c20let kkk turbo all seperately, cant see why your dump valve wont fit though, have a look at mine in my garage
chris_lee100

its stresful this modifyin lark !!
Colin

quote:
Originally posted by VenomTurbo
few of the cally t's ive come across have been electronically and mechanically good, i only heard of dodgy transfer boxes on the web forums. but dont really need to worry as i dont have a calibra

This one my mates mate got has been very expensive and unreliable

Totally put me off them, that and you telling me about the guy who's cally I was gonna look at
chris_lee100

27th Mar 04 at 00:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will prob just get the cally turbo as the conversion sounds pretty stresful, like your gym instructor swedish bird goin in to get her titsies done lol
chris_lee100

27th Mar 04 at 00:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see, well as an existing cally owner the only thing ive required thus far is new bushes, but i did pay 3k for a P reg goodin with fvsh 2 owners and 65k, there are some bloody awful examples out there !

[Edited on 27-03-2004 by chris_lee100]
J da Silva

27th Mar 04 at 00:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

also quite expensive, coz the companies like pvd sell conversion kits at 500 notes when it costs under 50 quid to actually manufacture them, and before anyone jumps in and says im wrong, i know im right as ive done lots of research and talked to the right people about this
Colin

27th Mar 04 at 00:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
well if I got one id change the t/box oil twice a year, rotate tyres etc. , there are goodies out there but they are like rockin horse shit and yeah alot of them shake like a shittin dog

Fair enough but can you be sure its been maintained like this since new

Cos I couldnt tell, Just saying id be very carefull if buying one of them thats all

chris_lee100

27th Mar 04 at 00:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hence the stress, sometimes i really wish I wasn't into this modyfyin lark, but its the only thing i like spendin my money, im obviously not the only one going by the countless thousands of other car sites on the net
Colin

quote:
quote:

also quite expensive, coz the companies like pvd sell conversion kits at 500 notes when it costs under 50 quid to actually manufacture them, and before anyone jumps in and says im wrong, i know im right as ive done lots of research and talked to the right people about this

Ive always thought they were over priced, but who else does them???

Think it would be a good business venture making the conversion kits due to EVERYONE putting a 2.0 in there corsa

[Edited on 27-03-2004 by Colin J]
J da Silva

quote:
Originally posted by Colin J
quote:

This one my mates mate got has been very expensive and unreliable

Totally put me off them, that and you telling me about the guy who's cally I was gonna look at

yesh, but people like him dont deserve to use ebay he was bumping the bids up off another ebay address, i got my computer dudes to check him out

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Vauxhall knowledge and engine transplants. 22 database queries in 0.0155971 seconds