corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Heel Toe

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Heel Toe
Jamie

User status: Offline
17th May 04 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.ferrariclub.com/faq/heeltoe.html

Found this on another site, anyone do this
Tom

17th May 04 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah was more useful in 'the old days' because of the type of transmition, u just look like a nob if u do it
Adam-D

17th May 04 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bollocks to that what with my brakes
Adam

17th May 04 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CorsAsh

17th May 04 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use it pretty much all the time, means smoother driving, can brake later as changing down happens at the same time. By raising the revs, keeps the car more balanced too.

If its such a nobbish thing to do, why do high performance cars blip the throttle in same way when coming down the box?
AK

17th May 04 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've had to do it at times with my old corsa.... used to cut out when coming off power etc...

had pedal extensions on, and mounted to make it easier
Tom

17th May 04 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They don't, they used to do it, think about it now tho it won't do you any good will it, engines are not freely revving as they used to be (i.e. everything is computerised).
broster
Premium Member

17th May 04 at 12:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think its the semi auto bmw thing, the top of the range one when u drop it down a gear it blips the throttle as odes another manufacture, cant remember the name of that tho
AK

17th May 04 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes.... but its always going to be 'nicer' changing down a gear when the revs are already at the point where the will be when the clutch is dis-engaged
CorsAsh

17th May 04 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What, you mean engines in general?

Anyway, have you actually done it sucessfully, cos you'd know what I meant about it being smoother. You dont get the jerkiness or harsh acceleration compared to when you let the synchros do all the work, plus gearbox will prob last longer.

And, as I said before, as braking and gearchanging happens at the same time, you can leave it til later - maintaining a higher speed for longer, which means you'll be quicker overall than if doing braking and changing separately.

Even if I'm not pasting it, I still Heel and toe, because its smoother. Sounds nice when you pip the throttle too.
Rob R

17th May 04 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got some jap racing videos of skylines, evos, scoobs etc and all the drivers do this when cornering etc
Tom

quote:
Originally posted by Adam Kindness
yes.... but its always going to be 'nicer' changing down a gear when the revs are already at the point where the will be when the clutch is dis-engaged

Won't that just burn clutches now tho?
CorsAsh

quote:

This is what I'm gettin at, thank you Adam
Tom

17th May 04 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tis too hard anyway only tried it about twice
AK

eh, the clutch will be engaged, or 'in' so no friction
CorsAsh

quote:
Originally posted by Tom
quote:

No, because the clutch isnt slipping if the engine speed is brought upto road speed - in fact, get it just right and you don't need to use the clutch at all.
CorsAsh

17th May 04 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom

Exactly. If you could do it properly, you'd see the benefits, rather than saying people who heel and toe "look like nobs", just because its too hard for you.
Tom

17th May 04 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
quote:
Originally posted by Tom
quote:

No, because the clutch isnt slipping if the engine speed is brought upto road speed - in fact, get it just right and you don't need to use the clutch at all.

Yeah used to 'blip' my revs to get it in gear when my clutch was fukd in my nova (years ago) but that was without heel toeing, what r we getting at here, how to use 1 foot for 2 pedals or blipping the throttle to make a smoother change?

Tom

17th May 04 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
quote:
Originally posted by Tom

Exactly. If you could do it properly, you'd see the benefits, rather than saying people who heel and toe "look like nobs", just because its too hard for you.

I'm confusing myself (only had total of 6 hours sleep past 2 nights ) I mean blipping the throttle just before u change gear sounds gay and u look like a tit pretending to be colin mcrae
Adam-D

17th May 04 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bloody heel this post grew

i kinda do it if im coming up to a bend and change down ill raise the revs a little to match so its smother

but i dont pres all 3 pedals at once
Tom

17th May 04 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam-D
bloody heel this post grew

i kinda do it if im coming up to a bend and change down ill raise the revs a little to match so its smother

but i dont pres all 3 pedals at once

That's what i've been trying to say for ages i'm not very coherent today i've been told this already
CorsAsh

17th May 04 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What were gettin at is heel and toe downshifts. Ie, pressing the brake with the ball of your right foot, and bringing the revs up with heel of the same foot, and using your left foot as normal at the same time to operate the clutch whilst changing gear.

You have to blip the throttle, so your engine speed matches the speed your road wheels are doing at that precise moment. If you dont, and just let the clutch up in a lower gear, you'll get a nasty jolt as the synchros try to catch up, and this will unbalance the car.

Personally, I prefer the sound of a quick engine blip to synchros screaming their nuts off too.
_Allan_

17th May 04 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It works good, I do it all the time on the bike also. Matches road speed with engine speed and helps prevent rear wheel lock up. Or joltiness in the car. For all the people saying 'whats the point' go out and try it. Just don't try and jump from 5th to 1st
CorsAsh

17th May 04 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_
It works good, I do it all the time on the bike also. Matches road speed with engine speed and helps prevent rear wheel lock up. Or joltiness in the car. For all the people saying 'whats the point' go out and try it. Just don't try and jump from 5th to 1st

Have to agree tho, don't knock it til you've tried it.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
17th May 04 at 16:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just brake with your left foot and blip with your right - easy.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Heel Toe 22 database queries in 0.0140982 seconds