corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » People with wired / wireless networks at home

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author People with wired / wireless networks at home
TNM

User status: Offline
5th Jul 04 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you think to this?

Broadband Router 4 X 10/100 Switch Ports 1 X Wan Port
leeshez

5th Jul 04 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice my brother has that but hes is wierd,works fine good piece of kit
L33 LEG
Banned

5th Jul 04 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got a wireless and its fuckin crap. me and my dad messed with it for 2months and still could only get one pc working at the same time and it hardly ever connected. im just using the original BT one now and have had no problems with it.
leeshez

5th Jul 04 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that wireless and how much? Im after making my laptop and desk top networked but not 100 % what to do
L33 LEG
Banned

5th Jul 04 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well u need a router which is like 90quid, then a something else to go in each computer which are like 40quid each.

id rather get a network cable and not bother with wireless. i got one of these of some internet site for around 2 quid and is 25metres long
leeshez

5th Jul 04 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by L33 LEG
well u need a router which is like 90quid, then a something else to go in each computer which are like 40quid each.

id rather get a network cable and not bother with wireless. i got one of these of some internet site for around 2 quid and is 25metres long

I know what your saying but i don,t want wires every where
Joff

5th Jul 04 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got the 614+ which is fine.
TNM

5th Jul 04 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just read it again and the reviews and its just a router and not a modem i knew it was too good to be true.

Just want a DSL modem with a 4 port hub and at least 1 WAN port.
leeshez

5th Jul 04 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do that work with broadband?
KelSE2

5th Jul 04 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the BT Voyager 1010 USB adapter for my PC and the BT Voyager 1020 Laptop Adapter. Using these with the BT Voyager 2000 Wireless Base Station. Base station is in bedroom, PC in front room downstairs, and the laptop anywhere you like in the house or garden and it all works perfectly, even with both connected at the same time.
Half Pint

5th Jul 04 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is what i got and has worked fine from day 1

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=48449
TNM

5th Jul 04 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by KelSE2
Got the BT Voyager 1010 USB adapter for my PC and the BT Voyager 1020 Laptop Adapter. Using these with the BT Voyager 2000 Wireless Base Station. Base station is in bedroom, PC in front room downstairs, and the laptop anywhere you like in the house or garden and it all works perfectly, even with both connected at the same time.

for that the pc with the usb port has to be turned on for the other to be able to work.

HP: not wireless.
Joff

5th Jul 04 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get an Ethernet modem that's capable of PPPoA.
Half Pint

5th Jul 04 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TNM
quote:
Originally posted by KelSE2

for that the pc with the usb port has to be turned on for the other to be able to work.

HP: not wireless.

I know

was thinking of upgrading to wireless but world only need a wireless router now i think. but worries about security tho ! cos i use internet banking alot ???
Joff

5th Jul 04 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ethernet modems can run in a "always on" mode and don't need a PC to create the connection to the ISP.
TNM

5th Jul 04 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was looking at the D-link DSL 604+ as ive got one at work and a friend has a lower spec one. cant find the one i have at work and my friend is away so cant ask him
Dan B

5th Jul 04 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the 604+ is set up similarly to the 504, then I'd advise against it......I've been using the 504 for about 12-18 months now, and although it is quite a nice router, there's a few bugs in it that not even the latest firmware seemed to remove.

The Filtering & Firewall link in the web-config didn't even work in the original firmware.
The 504 doesn't have a "hardware" reset-to-factory-defaults button, although I think they fixed this for the 604.
The filtering-rules are quite vague to set up, and on mine don't even display in the summary.

But anyway, security with wireless routers isn't a problem, as you can set WEP (Wireless Encryption Protocol, I think) keys to protect your wireless network against people sitting outside with a laptop and using your connection, and on quite a few, you can also set up access-lists (ie. a list of IP addresses that can use the wireless network), so they're pretty secure in that respect these days.
Dan B

5th Jul 04 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've just started selling the Netgear range in work, which are pretty nice......although the Draytek Vigor range we've always sold are far superior (but the price is a LOT higher to show for this).
ed

5th Jul 04 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't do wireless, its more trouble than it's worth. We used to have it, but it didn't work properly, got interfearence and cut out all the time. We use wires now
Dan B

5th Jul 04 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have to say, I've never been a big fan of wireless-connections either......OK, they can save the trouble of having wires trailing everywhere, but if you're handy enough with trunking and/or those little clips/nails to secure cables to walls, then you're fine.
Joff

5th Jul 04 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been using wireless (peer to peer) for about 6 months now and it's great!!
No problems other than my PC forgets itself every couple of hours so I have to unplug and refit the USB cable to wake it up.

The router should be good shit
Aaron02

5th Jul 04 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a D-link DWL 7000AP Wireless access point on my main machine (with the broadband modem), the internet is shared wiv two other machines in the house...one being a laptop that i can walk about 65 metres away from the house with and still get on the internet

everyone goes on about "you need a wireless router and an access point to share an internet connection"...bollox...all you need is an access point and a decent software firewall like ZoneAlarm Pro

might lease my broadband with the people next door to

[Edited on 05-07-2004 by Aaron02]
Nismo

5th Jul 04 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i use a Netgear DG814 and is tip top
Richie

5th Jul 04 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got the Netgear DG814 takin the net to 3 wired machines and then to the D-Link DWL700 access point which serves 1 wireless PC and two wireless laptops, with no problems at all.
Dom

5th Jul 04 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got a netgear MR314 wireless router (connected to cable modem via cat5) feeding to two machines and its perfect it was dead easy to set up (run through the routers wizard) and then i just added in static IP addresses and made me the DMX host (near enough direct connection to the cable modem) Havnt had any problems with the router or wireless USB and PCI adaptors, only problems ive had is when my folkes switch the stuff off during the night and it cant pick up an IP when switched back on from the cable modem, but a few boots of the router+CM and its sorted

note though, when you have a wirless setup, remember than any WEP encryption (especially 128bit, ive noticed that it adds a good 1-2k to overheads and its even worse when transfering stuff from one system to another) adds to the overheads as well as the use of wireless connection protocol. I would recommend the G wireless stuff over the B stuff...especially if you transfer files between computers

[Edited on 05-07-2004 by VisibleMan]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » People with wired / wireless networks at home 22 database queries in 0.2916849 seconds