corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » weight lifting - how much should it hurt ?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author weight lifting - how much should it hurt ?
myke

User status: Offline
6th Nov 04 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mate does weight lifting in his garage with his bro, who just went on holiday for a couple of weeks.

i've been down there on thursday and friday taking his place, spotting for the mate, and doing some myself.
never really been into that sort of thing, but i thought i'd give it a go.
did 2 and a bit hours on thursday of bicep and chest stuff, then 40odd mins yesterday of shoulder stuff. not using stupidly heavy weights, but 5sets for each excercise, increasing a couple of kilos for each one, and doing a couple less reps each time.

arms were hurting quite bad afterwards on thursaday, then a bit worse on friday daytime. wasn't too bad after the shoulder stuff, untill i got into bed, when all of a sudden it was agony.

only slept a few hours due to not being able to find a comfortable position to lie in. today i can't bend my elbows past 90degrees which i'm sure isn't right.
its the outside of my arms just above the elbows which are real bad. this is weird as i thoight we were supposed to be only using the insides, chest and shoulders.

i'm concerned that i won't be able to lift a pint to my mouth tonight. Should it really hurt this much?
chris_uk
Premium Member

6th Nov 04 at 17:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you have done 2 much.. :lo:
Mistamist

6th Nov 04 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

feeeeell the pain!! i find drinking some high protein drinks fixes your muscles quicker.
Craig W

6th Nov 04 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah thats pretty normal for a newbie, but you did too much too soon.
Over 2 hours is a bit excessive.

DOMS is great, all part of the game (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness).

[Edited on 06-11-2004 by Craig W]
Andy Stocker

6th Nov 04 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was like this after I joined my gym as I hadn't exercised for a few years, waking up over the next couple of days aching.
Been going about a month now & I can go to the gym do my session & wake up fine the next day now.
Think its just about getting the body into a routine again after being ' rusty' from a lack of exercise to those specific muscles.
myke

6th Nov 04 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mistdotcom
feeeeell the pain!! i find drinking some high protein drinks fixes your muscles quicker.

will loads of lager have a similar effect?

2hours wasn't constant, we were taking turns to spot each other, and not exactly rushing.

think the mistake was to start off trying to use the same weights as him when he's been doing it for 4months.
Mistamist

6th Nov 04 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes larger works too, get so drunk you dont feel it no more
myke

6th Nov 04 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andy Stocker
I was like this after I joined my gym as I hadn't exercised for a few years, waking up over the next couple of days aching.
Been going about a month now & I can go to the gym do my session & wake up fine the next day now.
Think its just about getting the body into a routine again after being ' rusty' from a lack of exercise to those specific muscles.

i haven't 'excersised' for a few years properly, but i do fairly manual work, so wouldn't have imagined i would have ended up in this state.
i wouldn't have minded waking up with it aching; i was expecting that. but i wasn't expecting for it to hurt so much and prevent me from sleeping. i guess if it doesn't hurt at all, then you've not done any use.?
Andy Stocker

6th Nov 04 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wake up in the morning with an aching body & an aching head
Craig W

6th Nov 04 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats your diet/food intake like?
myke

6th Nov 04 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Just wake up in the morning with an aching body & an aching head

hey, that's pretty standard for a sunday

my diet is shocking actually to be honest.
i don't like eating, so i don't eat a lot. no fruit or veg, simply because i don't like the stuff. i'm pretty fussy really come to think of it. haven't been ill for 2years though, so it can't be all bad.
Craig W

6th Nov 04 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, if you're training without a good food/protein intake, you're completley wasting your time.
To grow, you need food. When you train you tear down your muscle fibres, they need protein etc to repair, and grow. If you dont consume a good diet, they'll struggle to repair, let alone grow.
Andy Stocker

6th Nov 04 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by myke
quote:

i haven't 'excersised' for a few years properly, but i do fairly manual work, so wouldn't have imagined i would have ended up in this state.
i wouldn't have minded waking up with it aching; i was expecting that. but i wasn't expecting for it to hurt so much and prevent me from sleeping. i guess if it doesn't hurt at all, then you've not done any use.?

I like you do manual work & have done since I left school. Used to be a swimmer training in the pool 11/ 12 times a week with 2 sessions in the gym a week & my body was used to it.
But when I tried going back to the gym & doing the weights I found myself aching over the next couple of days.
Manual work is using a combination of muscles together, but when you start focusing on 1 muscle group at a time its totally different.
As for not feeling it so much now, perhaps i'm used to it, maybe i need to up my weight, maybe my swim after my sessions help relax the muscles again. But I know i'm doing it right as during the exercises the parts you're supposed to feel it in I definately feel it in
I don't go stupidly heavy with the weights as i've only been back a month, time will tell but i've noticed definition back in places where I had lost it which is always nice
Meat-Pie-SRI

6th Nov 04 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u prob didn't warm up or warm down so the lactic acid builds up in the muscles making them hurt!
Plus as your body is not used to it!!
myke

6th Nov 04 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i eat quite a bit of red meat. that's good for protein isn't it?

i warmed up, but not down. didn't realise that was a part of it.

think i'll skip tricep work on mon, and just do the leg stuff on tues. then if i decide to do more, lower the weights a bit.

where can i get a quick shot of protein ? is purdy's protein drink?
mk4_astra

6th Nov 04 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive just come back from the gym and was mostly doing drop sets and i dont ache 1 bit. i always spend 10 mins on a rowing machine and bike before i go on the weights. always try and stretch aswell. i get my 'quick shots' of protein from: tuna,milk,chicken,yogout,pasta,certain cerial and it helps to get protein into your body within 45 mins of a workout aswell
myke

6th Nov 04 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

milks good is it?
off to grap a jar....
Craig W

6th Nov 04 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mk4_astra
ive just come back from the gym and was mostly doing drop sets and i dont ache 1 bit. i always spend 10 mins on a rowing machine and bike before i go on the weights. always try and stretch aswell. i get my 'quick shots' of protein from: tuna,milk,chicken,yogout,pasta,certain cerial and it helps to get protein into your body within 45 mins of a workout aswell

You'll struggle to find much protein in yoghurt, pasta and cerial - thats all carbs.
Whey protein in water (not milk) is absorbed by your body instantly, and is the best form of protein to cosume immediatley after a workout.
mk4_astra

6th Nov 04 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its ok but not great, tuna is better but your muscles grow quicker than your bones and your bones will have to grow to cope with the bigger muscles so milk is overall good
mk4_astra

6th Nov 04 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Craig W
You'll struggle to find much protein in yoghurt, pasta and cerial - thats all carbs.
Whey protein in water (not milk) is absorbed by your body instantly, and is the best form of protein to cosume immediatley after a workout.

ah good stuff i drink lots of water while working out and after , i heard carbs were quite good aswell, this true?
Craig W

6th Nov 04 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Carb consumption all depends on your goals, ie are you looking for lean mass, are you going on a pure bulker, do you gain fat easily, are you a hard gainer?

Obviously your body needs carbs for energy, without energy your training will suffer. With carbs it's more important when their consumed in the day.
SetH

User status: Online
6th Nov 04 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even though you do manual work you are sore because you have used your muscles in a way that you have never used them before. Its also possible the exercises you did recruited muscle fibres that you have never used before at all.

watch the red meat as a protein intake, nearly all red meat is loaded with fat. north american buffaloe (bison) is as good as beef but without all the fat. Turkey is a superb source of protein as its 98% fat free, chicken good also as is tuna.
myke

6th Nov 04 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm about 5'8", 10.5 stone ish.
not hugely active, but i don't eat a lot.
my weight doesn't seem to fluctuate very much if at all, even if i eat junk for a week.

i don't like tuna, but normally eat chicken or beef probably 4 or 5 times a week.
SetH

User status: Online
6th Nov 04 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Based on your boyweight i would aim to put away 130-150kg protein a day to provide a positive nitrogen balance enabling your muscles to grow. This can be a challenge as its a lot of food, you can take a couple of protein shakes a day to help you. I reccomend promax whey protein by maximuscle, 30g protein per serving. Have one with breakfast and one straight after the gym. thats 60grams already you should be able to get the rest from your meals.
myke

6th Nov 04 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
130-150kg

i probably wont continue with it after this fortnight is up, but cheers for all your advice every one

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » weight lifting - how much should it hurt ? 22 database queries in 0.0214300 seconds