corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » CAT RULES FOR MOT ON 2ltr Turbo On R-reg corsa

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author CAT RULES FOR MOT ON 2ltr Turbo On R-reg corsa
Robbie

User status: Offline
21st Feb 05 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,i took my car to Vauxhall for a pre MOT checkup to see what was wrong if anything it failed on a number plate light and couple of little bits and bats but also they failed it because it doesn't have a cat,even though it has a 2.0 turbo engine from a cav 1991?they told me it goes on the car reg and not the engine (R reg corsa)even though the engine has never seen a cat in all its 14 years,they then told me i'd need to get a complete exhaust for it to pass which came to like £500 including a new cat/middle backbox and fitting,are they taking the piss or what?I'd then have to pay someone to swap over the exhaust again as they said they wouldn't do it,
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Feb 05 at 20:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm fairly sure they are wrong and emissions are based on the age of the engine.

Dan J100 will probably confirm...
p16vlv

21st Feb 05 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

find a friendlier garage .i can get away with no cat because i have no lambda sensor in my loom.i put one in mine in january because the kid on the phone told me i needed the cat in for mot.i put one in and it passed and then went on a rollinr rd on sat and my bhp was up but torque was down, so the cat is staying till i kill it.
Adam_B

21st Feb 05 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what did you score dude?
p16vlv

21st Feb 05 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

168 bhp 153 torque i think its a very good engine .i got 162 bhp 160torque last november.engine feels a lot quicker now though .

[Edited on 21-02-2005 by p16vlv]
AdamF
Premium Member

21st Feb 05 at 20:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

goes on age of engine not car whats the point putting a cat on it anyway it wont be doing anything to the emissions
Adam_B

21st Feb 05 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by p16vlv
168 bhp 153 torque i think its a very good engine .i got 162 bhp 160torque last november.engine feels a lot quicker now though .

[Edited on 21-02-2005 by p16vlv]

jammy bastard!

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=200050
p16vlv

21st Feb 05 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so why do cars have cats then if they dont do anything too emisions
p16vlv

21st Feb 05 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

flicks white astra gsi got 170,i knew that car was not standard but not that much.
AdamF
Premium Member

21st Feb 05 at 20:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it wont be doing anything to a cars emissions when it doesnt need one to control them. you dont just stick a cat on and expect emmsions tobe correct its all controled by sensors (lambda) etc
p16vlv

21st Feb 05 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but i dont have a lambda sensor i used air flow meter to adjust the emmisions but the cat helped me pass.
Robbie

21st Feb 05 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they mentioned that lambda sensor to me and said something about because this is fitted i will need a cat,i had this problem with my old GSi and finding a friendly garage what would pass it anyway was difficult and i had to get the cat put back on and swapped everytime,they also told me i needed new brakes and the best bit about it is i had new brakes and pads fitted the week before,they put on the MOT fail sheet front brakes shuddering and need replacing!
p16vlv

21st Feb 05 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think its harder to get through the emmissions if you have a lambda sensor because it means the engine came with a cat.
AdamF
Premium Member

21st Feb 05 at 20:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by p16vlv
but i dont have a lambda sensor i used air flow meter to adjust the emmisions but the cat helped me pass.

yeah thats how you adjust emmsiions on pre cat cars. if the engine is pre 92 i doesnt need a cat.

p16vlv

21st Feb 05 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how do you prove engine age.
AdamF
Premium Member

21st Feb 05 at 20:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any tester who knows there stuff should be able to tell from the engine number/code

20xe = no cat
c20xe = cat

[Edited on 21-02-2005 by AdamF]
ainsley_brader

21st Feb 05 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was recently told that if the vehichle isnt an exact match in the daTA book, ie that car never came with that engine, then the emission test drops by one level, so the corsa with a 2.0ltr would become a pre 92 or pre cast test. Or at least that is how they read the rules!
p16vlv

21st Feb 05 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

heres one for you mine used to be a 20xe but blew that up and bought a c20xe bottom end, so i have no lambda but c20xe on engine number,so i think a good idea is too grind the numbers off and then they cant tell what year it is.as far as i know you can stamp anything on block as long as you have a receipt for it.
GED2.0CORSA

21st Feb 05 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right this is a bit of a grey spot,

the way it goes is if u have a pre cat engine in car that should have a cat u must prove that the engine came from a pre cat car and provide proof to the mot station, a registration document from the old car is still not good enough u must have a sort of receipt from where u purchased the engine from otherwise u must have a fitted cat !

hope this helps
J100RSA

21st Feb 05 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if u can prove year of engine it dont need a cat
Danny69

22nd Feb 05 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so with the xe engines you can tell by the numbers but what about lets???? It could be out of a calibra post 92 or out of a cav pre 92???

anyone know the differences in numbers and where the engine number is located???

cheers
3CorsaMeal

22nd Feb 05 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the engine never came with a CAT it won't need one, so tell em to test emissions and all will be fine
Danny69

22nd Feb 05 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i didnt put the engine in mine, it was in when i got it so dont know if it came with a cat?????

its had a full stainless steel system with no cat in for 3 years though??
J100RSA

24th Feb 05 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if u cant proove year of engine u MUST have a cat this only applies to engines from cars registered before 1st august 1992

[Edited on 24-02-2005 by J100RSA]

[Edited on 24-02-2005 by J100RSA]
Darren

24th Feb 05 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all the lets had a cat fitted

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll