corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Been thinking......your opinions....

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Been thinking......your opinions....
broster
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Jul 05 at 05:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been thinking about the best suspension you can get for a corsa, was speaking to some one who builds race/track day cars the other day and it made me wonder why there is all this hype over coilovers!?

basically the best of the best is admittedly leda coilovers with the remote resovoirs etc! but realistically thats out of many people price range....especially when their cars never see a track!

why do people use coilovers? they offer no progressive spring travel unlike normal springs and dampers, hence the springs and damper will be more comfy?

also for a cheap set of coilovers, your looking at £600 for a set of avo's, many of you will recoal the pictures i put up of my avo's! bit knackered!

that kind of money will buy you a set of adjustable dampers (knoi, they are good?) and some decent springs (eibach will make you what ever you want really)

Im thinking that my next set up will be some:
1-koni adjustables with 40mm springs on the front and 60mm on the back (its 2-totally stripped out so need to keep the back down a bit!),
3-adjustable top mounts(waiting for delivery)
4-rear whiteline arb(already on)
5-front strut brace, no rear as i have a cage and that makes it stiff enough.
6-AND obviously decent tyres (i still sware by michlin pilots)

this will enable me to loose my spacers on the front and rear wheels, keeping the offset closer to et49, hence making the handeling better, will allow the spring to be progressive add comfort on the roads, and in extreme cases allow the tyre to be in contact with the road more?! Ill be doing some track days but the car will mostly be a fun car on the roads... so there is no point in making my car handle for the track as itll be WAY to hard for the road, wiith many track cars running 700-800lb springs (my avos were 220lb and they were bad enough)

I expect my car will handle just as well when i finally get around to doing the above, if not better, than with the coilovers.....

IN SUMMARY!!!!
What do you consider the best suspension set up for the spirited corsa driver and WHY!

please dont just say fk coilovers cuz they is wiked! or any other shite!

[Edited on 27-07-2005 by broster]
Siberia

27th Jul 05 at 07:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got coilovers when i was going through a stage of getting my spec list to look good....

nowadays i concentrate of how the car performs and not trying to impress other people.... next month my fk's are getting binned... in favour of some koni yellow adjustables and some -40 eibach pro springs...
Adam-D

27th Jul 05 at 07:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im in same situation
koni yellows, yes but im dropping it 60mm all round, dunno what spring yet thou
mav

27th Jul 05 at 07:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all sounds good...would never spend the money on coilovers unless was going on track etc..

I have yellow koni adjustables with -60mm springs....

no strut braces or ARB though..If i keep it fancy getting front and rear strut braces though...
Ojc

27th Jul 05 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Koni's on the Corsa IMO are the best Corsas.
Jambo

27th Jul 05 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A race track is nothing like a road.

Never saw the point, was only tempted with FKs when everyone was banging on about how comfy they were etc.

I have bilstein blacks, and have purchased the bilstein yellows awaiting to go on the car when i have some more cash.

I have been in steveWs car he has Konis, and its a super very road friendly setup.

And broster you are indeed correct about more contact with the road, my curent setup has me all over the place if i hit a bump!
AK

27th Jul 05 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

60mm is too low to handle well too...

45mm to 30 is a good height on 15/16"
mazdaspeed

27th Jul 05 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed, I had 30mm eibach springs and they were the best. Still handled like a boat though just like all corsas
Adam-D

27th Jul 05 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well mine is gona be a track day corsa
and the odd 1/4 mile run
so trying to decide what the best setup wouldbe
AK

27th Jul 05 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LEDA
bradfincham

27th Jul 05 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but you dont want suspension too hard,

everyone thinks the harder a cars suspension it is the better it handles, this is not the case as the suspension cannot work, if you fit front and rear arb then you will see the inside tyre lifting, the camber, castor and slip angles wrong.

Cars suspension needs to work, the idea is to keep the tyres paralell at all times throughout a corner, hence most contact patch and the most grip.

I have fks on mine with a different spring rate and with koni yellow adjustables on the back.
I went for front coilovers as i can change the spring rates easier, ride height. The rear adjustables are perfect enough as it is.
Yes on a wet road mine will understeer a treat as the 2ltr weight is too much for a corsa. On a dry road last week i had a race over 2 miles with a cbr600, r6, and gsxr 600, neither of these bikes could pass me.
On the straights they would get behind me but there braking point was so much earlier than mine and i was taking bends 20+ mph faster than them.

I would say koni yellows all round with a cage and front and rear strut braces, and a front arb, would be a very good setup to have
Adam-D

27th Jul 05 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what springs?
so say koni yellow 40mm?
big eck

27th Jul 05 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Koni yellows and 50mm Eibach springs is the set up i'd like next
Siberia

27th Jul 05 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was told that eibach only do -35mm springs for a corsa.....

also yer not supposed to lower more than 40mm on koni yellows...

-50mm springs would be great!
big eck

27th Jul 05 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

craigpcg has this set up on his car siberia and it is spot on in handling and comfort
Stu_22

27th Jul 05 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought the best thing for the track was to be as close to the ground as possble, and only coilovers let you do that. Then raise it up for on the road
Joe

27th Jul 05 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got koni yellows and eibach sportsline springs all round and it feels good to me, very good for road use and not to hard and bouncy on the ride
broster
Premium Member

27th Jul 05 at 17:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on a track being as stiff as posisble and a low center of gravity with decent angles is what you need, a track in throey is smooth so you dont need much travel, most race cars use the sidewalls as suspension.
eibach will make you what ever you want if your prepared to wait....

im only going for 60mm springs on the rear because they are an easy option to keep the back of the car lowered, with it stripped out it gets ever so high! 60mm is more like 35.
Stu, to raise and lower the suspension is a pain in the arse, means resetting all your angles that take time and effort to get right. stuff that needs playing with on each individual car.....

think koni yellows are next on my hsopping list
corsa_godfather

27th Jul 05 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive always disliked coilovers for road use,wouldnt get them.

as for a set up.for road and track use.DEFINATLEY get koni adjustables.highly reccomend them and il be putting a set on the corsa in futre
myke

27th Jul 05 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've been on mismatched springs and apex shocks for a while.
i swapped the springs for 50mm eibachs a couple of weeks back and think the handling is actually worse than before with the lower springs.
rear is stripped and it looks more like 20mm drop than 50.

plan for me is to get koni yellow rears with a whiteline arb and gaz front coilovers.

will take a while before i can afford the fronts, so i'll be on a bit of mix and match untill then.
broster
Premium Member

27th Jul 05 at 19:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Iv just sold a set of gaz coilovers
jr

27th Jul 05 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

broster where are you excentric top mounts comming from
broster
Premium Member

27th Jul 05 at 19:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ebay my friend, i actually went on TAS site the other day and ordered some, lookedinto my account and money handt gone, then i realsised they had gone and the company was no more! look on ebay, they are £100 delivered
Corsa E-Tec

27th Jul 05 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have eibach -50mm and koni yellows.

handle so well on the last corsa but with this one i dont like it that well, does not grip the road that well. i'm thiking it's the tyres and 15" alloys and the tracking.

just hope it's not the lightweight as i feel the rear goes out a little since i've stripped and it sits well high.

we'll see once i have me 16's on, tracking and strut beaces.
myke

27th Jul 05 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much the Gaz's go for broster?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Been thinking......your opinions.... 22 database queries in 0.0200889 seconds