corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » £300+ later and still non the wiser... car help!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author £300+ later and still non the wiser... car help!
andy_s_1

User status: Offline
13th Oct 05 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i have this problem (with my car ^_^) its a corsa b 1.0 ls and a while back, months lets say like 3-4, where when it was cold (freezing) i would have problems with the ECU light popping on and the car was a nightmare to drive (coughing and farting) and untill, what i though was the problem, it walmed up the ligt would just go off and back to normal =D, brill! then the cold weather passed and it was a dream again! on and off no problems. just lately this silly little bugger of a light keeps popping on only after the car has been left alone for a while, hence why i though it was an issue with the cold engine. So my car ECU light comes on in the morning and goes off when it feels like... it gets more constant and for longer periods.

Then.... (yes even more problems) i had a problem with my revvs, this is all within a week or two period, i find this problem with my revvs hard to explain so ill try my best:

* when starting off in the morn my revvs wouldnt got over 3k rpm regardless if my foot was all teh way down on the gas
* just a total loss of power and had no pick up
* changing into second gear the problem would persist
* only way i found to combat it was to put my clutch in and revv higher than 3k then let my clutch engage :S, risky business!

so if you can understand what problem i was having usign the bullet points then were ontrack! (basically i had a loss of power)

well i took it to my local garage and he plugged his wizz bang computer into it and it told him it was my ICV (idle control valve) so... £140 later i got my car back sparkling with a new ICV, smashing. ran perfect, jumped up in the morning for university, well crawled out off bed , got im my car backing out of the drive and *POP* ECU light and then the battery light then an engine cut out, turned it back on and it cut out agian, three times later i was getting late so i just back out as fast and sped off (naughty) only to have power loss kept doing this each morning with a veriety of the light and coughs and farts.

am i boring you yet?

So i took it back to the garage and the wizz bang comes up with another problem. now i cant remeber what it was that he changed, cost me £140 anyway, ill explain what it was an where it was! it was screwed to the right of the main block as your looking onto the car (so opposit the air filter) is had a pipe for water to go in to and apparently teh valve in it had gone, was told its a common problem along with the ICV. so in it goes revvs are perfect all sweet and brand new (or so it felt) turned it over this mornign and on poped that damn light! however the horrible power loss has been fixed, just this sh**ty light!

What the hell is wrong with my car?

hope i havent bored you with my long story but its best to get it all out so that you ahve a full idea of whats been going on!

and befor you say anything i know it only adds up to £270 but i had to pay £50 for a new battery last month so that makes up for it haha

well i hope someone can shead some light on whats going on with my car!

thank you for looking and reading my post!

-Andrew

(this is posted on other forums just so that i cant get the fasest help possible ^_^)
Joe

13th Oct 05 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mass Air Flow meter mate, common problem on 1.0 12v and 1.2 16v. Mine used to do the same thing wouldnt rev properly until it was warmed up.

Thing is it always throw up random fault codes on the ECU and it never actually points to the Mass Air Flow but i'd put my life on it being that.
andy_s_1

13th Oct 05 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much more am i looking at for a fix?
corsa_godfather

13th Oct 05 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

EGR VALVE was probably what went.if ICV goes that goes or vice versa.

try disconnect your battery for an hour then connect it up and let the car tick over for a few mind dont touch accelarator.

that should wipe the problem off the ecu aslong as there is no other problems with the car.

its basically just wiping its memory of a previous problem.
andy_s_1

13th Oct 05 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahh tahts it the EGR valve haha i remeber him sayign it now! ill gite it a go
Joe

13th Oct 05 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mass Air flow's are quite expensive, bout £160 off Vaux. The mechanic should have cleared all the codes on the ECU when he fixed it so desconnected your battery shouldnt make a difference.

Does it start up fine once warm? and is there a bit of a flat spot at about 4,000 RPM when your building up speed?
andy_s_1

13th Oct 05 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there was a flat spot before the ERG was replaced and vaux can go swivel for £160! ive discon'd the battery
the second time it was in for the EGR he never reset the codes onluy the first itme! i was waiting about the second must have felt rushed anyway ill see if this works!
so why wont the mass air flow come up an any tests?
Joe

13th Oct 05 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i duno it just doesnt, i work at a garage and we have a code reader.

I went through 3 coolant sensors, 1 idle air control valve, 2 oxygen sensors and then we got a new lad at work who said his did the same and it was mass air flow and he was right.

But each time i changed something it was what the computer was telling us to put on, only changed them a few times incase some of the parts were faulty.

If you have a mate with the same engine or a 1.2 16v try swapping off his and it may sort it
Mistamist

13th Oct 05 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think its the program vaux put on the ECU, everytime you put it on the diagnostics it puts up a random code, hence keeping vaux parts in business, its a scam i tell thee....A SCAM!
andy_s_1

13th Oct 05 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds right ot me! i dont have a mate with a corsa unfortunatly ill just have to see if this battery "trick" works
Joe

13th Oct 05 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont think that'll sort the problem, try get a 2nd hand one from a scrappie or somethin
andy_s_1

13th Oct 05 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is nothing in the haynes regarding mass air flow, where is it and what does it look like (if you can find/aquire a diagram/picture)
Joe

13th Oct 05 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its this here, does the Haynes manual cover the 1.0 and 1.2 Ecotec engines?
shane2corsa

13th Oct 05 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mass air flow meters are usually on the inlet pipe, just after the connection to the airbox or near the manifold end, but definately on the 'inlet' side
shane2corsa

13th Oct 05 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as above^ beat me to it mate
andy_s_1

13th Oct 05 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

now you have pointed it out ive looked at the underbonnet pics and located it as the Air mass meter, ill read up on it
Joe

13th Oct 05 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah thats the one, same difference anyway from my experiance and it sounds like our cars have/had the same symptoms i'd say that will fix it
andy_s_1

13th Oct 05 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry to be spam posting but how much do you think im looking at form the scrap man, and is it worth it, do the go quite often? and is tehre a chance the on in the scrap yard is already on its way out?
Joe

13th Oct 05 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i duno could be any amount, i got one for a tenner off someone i know and its held out since last november so its doing well. Yeah its a pretty common fault as are all the sensors on them engines.

The scrapyard we get a few 2nd hand ones from have a month warranty on them i think so just ask around, would be best if you could borrow one off someone so you can make sure it fixes it
andy_s_1

13th Oct 05 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

>.< noone i know drives one like mine! a tenner sounds good to me like haha if it continues ill go see about it! cheers for your quick help!
andy_s_1

14th Oct 05 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Does it start up fine once warm? and is there a bit of a flat spot at about 4,000 RPM when your building up speed?

yep still getting this

the scrappy said it will be £40+VAT!

doh, or £90 off ebay
andy_s_1

17th Oct 05 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it just keeps getting worse and worse, it seems as tough fitting the new parts did nothing at all!

will the air mass meter be a sure fix?

cheers agian
dna23

17th Oct 05 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine is exactly the same mate....

its the AFM (wats circled red in my engine bay pic above ) so i'm going to get a new one of eBay... i'm pretty sure its this sensor, my EGR was jus cleaned and ICV is fine as it's jus been cleaned to...

its gash but i found this... go out 5 mins before ure journey... and start ure engine jus let it tick over and warm up then u won't have the initial start up problems
andy_s_1

17th Oct 05 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i was looking on ebay but its £85 for the one i need
might get one from the scrap man, when he gets one!
well solong as i know whats wrong now!
im taking it that AFM = Air Flow Meter?
dna23

18th Oct 05 at 07:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AFM or Air Mass Meter as sometimes it's called....

i'm gonna go to my scrappy theres a nice X12XE with 30k on clocks.... AFM/AMM shud be in decent enough nick

dont ure scrappys let u walk around? it's a fairly small part

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll