corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Police cars

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Police cars
mwg

User status: Offline
6th Dec 05 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quick question...

Do police traffic cars have modified engines in any way? I'm sure that they dont as I've asked my Dad whos a copper and he says no but some guy on another forum is telling me that hes bought an ex police T5 and its been chipped

As I say I dont think they do mod the engines...

Anyone in the know?
Steve
Premium Member

6th Dec 05 at 10:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no they are boggo standard, makes me laugh when people think that police cars are "tuned"

besides chipping a car with no other engine changes is pointless, you will gain nothing
L33 LEG
Banned

6th Dec 05 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iv always thought that some do, especially the motorway cops.
dna23

6th Dec 05 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They do, well my cousin worked at a BMW garage and they often had various police cars in and they carried out work on an M3 once doing various engine mods.
brummiesxi

6th Dec 05 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they do have some moddifications, they have to be able to keep up or be faster than most!
they are normally very well maintained too.
Steve
Premium Member

6th Dec 05 at 10:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i still say police cars are not changed in any way, maybe the occasional specials you sometimes see i.e. the scoobies, or the M3's but generally 90% of police cars like the t5's etc wont be touched
L33 LEG
Banned

6th Dec 05 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ye we know that, but the other 10% are tuned. well itl be a lot less than that actually
mwg

6th Dec 05 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know there have been one or 2 M3s, Evos, Cossies over the years that have been tuned police cars but I'm talking about the Volvo T5s that patrol up and down the motorway. I dont believe this guy partly becuase he lives in Barrow which is well known for bullshitters and the like
SXi_Tim

6th Dec 05 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think they upgrade the brakes too
Ajones_17

6th Dec 05 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are chipped, its only basic chipping, no raised limiet of anythin but most of the traffic polics cars eg the t5's, and when they used to have Omega's are chipped. They have uprated suspesnsion and slip diffs aswell.
L33 LEG
Banned

6th Dec 05 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was talkin to a copper in a t5 a bit ago and we got chatting about mods. i asked him what has been done to his engine but i cnt remember what he said lol
Steve
Premium Member

6th Dec 05 at 10:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ajones_17
They are chipped, its only basic chipping, no raised limiet of anythin but most of the traffic polics cars eg the t5's, and when they used to have Omega's are chipped. They have uprated suspesnsion and slip diffs aswell.

lol this makes me laugh!! why would you chip a car with no other engine changes, do you know what chipping/mapping does.

as for the slip diffs!?!?!? wtf are they used on a 1/4 mile, or for rallying on loose surfaces pmfsl
mwg

6th Dec 05 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I think the suspension will be uprated as police cars quite often end up going over kerbs and rough ground chasing people, just not sure on the engines! This guy is such a bullshitter so thats why I dont believe him. He thought he would be able to beat my mates Nova LET in his MG ZS
Ajones_17

6th Dec 05 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sam
quote:

lol this makes me laugh!! why would you chip a car with no other engine changes, do you know what chipping/mapping does.

as for the slip diffs!?!?!? wtf are they used on a 1/4 mile, or for rallying on loose surfaces pmfsl

Becasue you will still get good gains from chipping the standard engine in turns of bvetter fueling, getting rid opf flat spots etc. But like i said, MOST and not all.

As for a slip diff, are you trying to say that a slip diff wouldnt help cornering, funny that the polics Omega's where fitted with Slip diffs then aint it
Steve
Premium Member

6th Dec 05 at 10:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only if the engine is shagged to start with, which idiot told you omegas had slip diffs put in em?

[Edited on 06-12-2005 by Corsa_Sam]
Ajones_17

6th Dec 05 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
only if the engine is shagged to start with, which idiot told you omegas had slip diffs put in em?

That idiot was a mechanic who repaired the slip diff on an ex cop car
3CorsaMeal

6th Dec 05 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

like fcuk our government has the money to mod police cars

my m8 had an old one was an IRV, was totally standard part from holes in the roof
Steve
Premium Member

6th Dec 05 at 10:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

i suspect your mechanic needs to learn what a slip diff is then, either that or it was a one off, they DO NOT put slip diffs in police cars, unless they are already there
Sam
Premium Member

6th Dec 05 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes some police cars are modified.

On EPC you can see part numbers for parts specifically manufactured for 'special vehicles' (ie. police cars).

Vauxhall refer to said parts as "Special Vehicle Options".
micra_pete
Premium Member

6th Dec 05 at 10:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

altering the map on a standard car will make a difference, there are improvements to be made on any map depending on the customers / owners need, when a manufacturer writes a map they have many things to consider, economy, emissions regs, and power, however all three can rarely be combined so compromises are made, timing is always weak, fuelling is always on the timid side, and it should be on most peoples car,
on some standard maps for example you'll find the fuelling is pulled back hugely in measured areas for mpg and emissions for example, and this is at various gear / rpm / speed points.
some of these things matter little to engine tuners, improvements to throttle / engine response can be quiet dramatic when a map is made for a specific need, in our case (normally) power, even on a standard car.

there is a lot of bull spoken about engine mapping, on the internet.

may i ask what you think chipping / mapping does?

[Edited on 06-12-2005 by micra_pete]
Ajones_17

6th Dec 05 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

i suspect your mechanic needs to learn what a slip diff is then, either that or it was a one off, they DO NOT put slip diffs in police cars, unless they are already there

Secondly, the ex cop car that Total Vaux bought had a slip diff fitted, oh and by the way, it was an Omega.
Can you even explain what a slip diff is?
Rileysport

6th Dec 05 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well a limited slip diff is an upgrade... so a slip diff is standard, yeah
3CorsaMeal

6th Dec 05 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

every car has a diff, don't see why police would need to change to a LSD

not exactly rallying nor very high powered
Edd

6th Dec 05 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you are all talking shite all cop cars are fitted with resistors off of e-bay which gives them 50bhp gains at least
Ajones_17

6th Dec 05 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Edd
you are all talking shite all cop cars are fitted with resistors off of e-bay which gives them 50bhp gains at least

I heard it was more like 76.9 bhp gains, but i could be wrong

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Police cars 22 database queries in 0.0143478 seconds