corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » turbo questions...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author turbo questions...
Pop

User status: Offline
29th Jul 06 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok i'm prepared for a slagging but i have some possibly stupid questions about turbos...

it's something i'm looking into and knowing not very much i'm trying to learn more. it will be for a system running about 7-8psi so nothing major

1. i know you're looking at an exhaust system with a 2.5-3" bore. does the cat make a big difference? would it still be preferable to go with a sports cat still?

2. do all turbo systems still have an air filter as part of the system?

all help is much appreciated

thanks
tim
Robin
Premium Member

29th Jul 06 at 21:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, yes.
Pop

29th Jul 06 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well that was fairly harmless... i'll go away and think of more things to ask. thanks
Sam
Premium Member

29th Jul 06 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a question - how do you make a turbo so hot it glows?

[Edited on 29-07-2006 by Sam]
CorsAsh

29th Jul 06 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Run it for a long time. My mates turbo mini engine bay used to glow red after a longish journey, didnt need the heaters either as the box it sat in was right near his leg
Pop

29th Jul 06 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok if you are turboing a petrol car which doesn't have a turbo as standard, will it have an external wastegate?
Robin
Premium Member

29th Jul 06 at 21:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the wastegate is either built into the turbo, or seperate..... so either, depending on what turbo you use

oh, you cant use a diesel turbo on a petrol engine, the turbine blades wont like it.
Pop

29th Jul 06 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks again...

not wanting to offend anyone who has one here... are screamer pipes only associated with really big power cars?

[Edited on 29-07-2006 by Pop]
Jake

29th Jul 06 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ferarri F40 has one i think as does muppetsport. So its purely a max power thing
Robin
Premium Member

29th Jul 06 at 21:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

apparently, going on what i've been told by Mr Sport, the screamer pipe is just the pipe which lets charge air out of the wastegate. you can either have it going back into the exhaust system, or venting to the outside

you technically need one if you run an external wastegate... its just a matter of how loud you want it to be
Pop

29th Jul 06 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i understood it as when you reach full boost then your external wastegate feeds the air down a separate pipe (screamer pipe) so that it doesn't all need to channel through the full exhaust system
CorsAsh

29th Jul 06 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by robmarriott
apparently, going on what i've been told by Mr Sport, the screamer pipe is just the pipe which lets charge air out of the wastegate. you can either have it going back into the exhaust system, or venting to the outside

you technically need one if you run an external wastegate... its just a matter of how loud you want it to be

Nope, lets exhaust gases out, the charge air is what goes into the engine
Robin
Premium Member

29th Jul 06 at 21:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, the wastegate opens and releases the excess pressure, to stop the turbo overboosting
Robin
Premium Member

29th Jul 06 at 21:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good spot ash.
CorsAsh

29th Jul 06 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pop
i understood it as when you reach full boost then your external wastegate feeds the air down a separate pipe (screamer pipe) so that it doesn't all need to channel through the full exhaust system

Yeah, but in most cases, the wastegate is integrated into the turbo: a little hatch opens and the exhaust gases bypass the turbine, stopping the turbo from boosting too much.
Pop

29th Jul 06 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok then.. i'm stumped here.

what is the difference between a wastegate and a dump valve?
CorsAsh

29th Jul 06 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dump valve opens to release excess air being pumped INTO the engine. Basically the throttle will shut, and to keep the turbo spinning, a dump valve opens to release the pressure until the throttle opens again to let the charge air into the engine.

Wastegate operates on the other side, allows exhaust gases (which power the turbo) to bypass the turbine and stop the turbo spinning too quickly, which can cause too much heat buildup, damage to the turbo etc.

Try here for an explanation of turbo basics mate:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm
Pop

29th Jul 06 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks.. will take a look at that site the now

CorsAsh

29th Jul 06 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pop

29th Jul 06 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

still looking at that site and making sure i understand it all...

one thing though... even on a low pressure system are the risks of engine failure greatly increased with mileage on the engine before turboing?
CorsAsh

29th Jul 06 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well yeah, if you have an engine which has been designed to run high compression for natural aspiration and you whack on forced induction, it's gonna end up with a compression ratio that the engine was never designed to handle. So unless you address that, expect big problems.
Robin
Premium Member

29th Jul 06 at 21:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your compression ratio is 10.8:1

it WILL need lowering, either with dished pistons, or a spacer on the block
Pop

29th Jul 06 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep part of the work would be lowering the compression ratio... oh the joys, but it would be entertaining in my car
Robin
Premium Member

29th Jul 06 at 21:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what sort of power would you be looking at though? would it not work out better just to put a GTI180 engine in?
Pop

29th Jul 06 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all sorts of issues with a gti 180 engine...

my car is non-multiplexed wiring, but all gti-180's are multiplexed. they also run a fly by wire throttle.

a tb, full exhaust and cams setup is looking at 190-200bhp

not 100% yet on the turbo. i need to speak to carworx first to see what i could do within my budget. if i can't afford it then i'll walk away, at the moment i'm happy with what i have

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » turbo questions... 22 database queries in 0.0122800 seconds