corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Supra's, what are the non-turbo's like?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Supra's, what are the non-turbo's like?
Carl

User status: Offline
29th Nov 06 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looked for stats on parkers but there weren't any for the non turbo, just said 184 bhp. Saw a black on the other day in the petrol station and it looked ace, on trader there seems to be quite a few non-turbo ones, any good?
scoob
Premium Member

29th Nov 06 at 13:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i reckon they will be slow they are a heavy car
City

29th Nov 06 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

slow and very thirsty

that is all
Carl

29th Nov 06 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how slow though? Slow compared to a fast car, or slow compared to an everyday car? Just wondering becuase i'm not arsed if its not lightening quick, 8-9 secs 0-60 would be quick enough for me, can't be too slow as they look fast so that would be silly.

[Edited on 29-11-2006 by Carl]
Brett
Premium Member

29th Nov 06 at 13:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But gettin rinsed by a corsa/saxo/clio would be rather upsetting, plus the supra would eat twice as much fuel and be expensive to maintain. Daft idea unless its givin you a big grin at Mach1.
Carl

29th Nov 06 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
But gettin rinsed by a corsa/saxo/clio would be rather upsetting,

not really, i don't go around racing and to be fair the only thing that pisses me off is stuff like getting stuck behind old people driving micras and when people go slow in the outside lane when there is more than one lane.

Fuel costs and that would be an issue but are people just assuming they will be thristy as hell or know for a fact? (obviously a 3 litre isn't going to be massively economical i know, but would prefer figures etc. )
Brett
Premium Member

29th Nov 06 at 13:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also insurance, just seems a lot of money for no go to me.

I understand that you don't "race", I don't "race" as such, but there is the odd time that someone needs to be taught a lesson and there's nothin better than bein on open quite roads and goin for it.
Doug

29th Nov 06 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are slow! I was in a friends N/A Supra and another friend of ours very nearly beat us in a 1.8 corsa c
AK

29th Nov 06 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not slow enough to get 'rinsed' by corsa/saxo/clio's etc.... 182's maybe.

They arent that slow. Very good comfortable cruising cars. 225bhp 3.0 straight 6 24v.....

Fuel figures dont mean shit. I could drive X car in a certain way and get superb milage. My Y might not drive like me, and get half that.

Its NOT economical, but its not that bad
Carl

29th Nov 06 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
its not slow enough to get 'rinsed' by corsa/saxo/clio's etc.... 182's maybe.

They arent that slow. Very good comfortable cruising cars. 225bhp 3.0 straight 6 24v.....

Fuel figures dont mean shit. I could drive X car in a certain way and get superb milage. My Y might not drive like me, and get half that.

Its NOT economical, but its not that bad

Thank you AK thats what i was after. Some useful info. Although parkers say 184bhp, we on about same one?

[Edited on 29-11-2006 by Carl]
Daimo B

29th Nov 06 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doug
They are slow! I was in a friends N/A Supra and another friend of ours very nearly beat us in a 1.8 corsa c

1 friend had a TT Supra (Standard), he's had lots of tuned cars.
Another friend had a NA Supra, Same shape.

A long drive down to the coast (all jetkski lot) and some "fun" denoted that the TT wasn't overall THAT much quicker in standard format. He was really cheesed off about it.

How true that is im not sure, but why would he lie about his car beating, but not destroying an NA model, owned by his friends....

And a 1.8 Corsa won't keep up

Im with AK, good cars. If your worrying about fuel on a 3.0 your really looking at the wrong kind of engine. Stick to a derv or 1.2.....
AK

29th Nov 06 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe i'm refering to 3.0 NA VVTi models...
hold on
Brett
Premium Member

29th Nov 06 at 13:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so a 184bhp supra wouldnt get beaten by an XE corsa
Daimo B

29th Nov 06 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They aint 184bhp..... 3.0 Sentors were making that power in the early 80's

I've always known the NA model to have about 230-250bhp? Not sure though.

Dont trust parkers....
AK

29th Nov 06 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With the fourth generation of the Supra, Toyota took a big leap in the direction of a more powerful sports car. The new Supra was completely redesigned, with rounded body styling partly based on the Ferrari F40 and featured two new engines: naturally aspirated 2JZ-GE 220 hp (164 kW) and 210 ft·lbf (285 N·m) of torque and a twin turbocharged 2JZ-GTE making 280 hp (239 kW), 260 ft·lbf (427 N·m) of torque. The turbocharged variant could achieve 0–60 mph in 4.6 seconds and 1/4 mile (402 m) in 13.1 seconds at 109 mph [2]. The engine is capable of producing around 400hp with the stock twin turbos and mild bolt-on upgrades such as a boost controller and high-flow exhaust. The turbo version was tested to reach over 289 kph (180 mph) all-stock, but the cars are restricted to just 180 kph in Japan and 250 elsewhere.

The MKIV Supra's twin turbos operated in sequential mode instead of the more common parallel mode. The sequential setup featured a pair of small, equally sized turbos, with ceramic blades for the domestic Japanese market and steel blades for export (USA, Europe) markets. At first, all of the exhaust is routed to the first turbine for reduced lag. This resulted in boost and enhanced torque as early as 1800 rpm. Approaching 4000 rpm, the exhaust is routed to the second turbine for a "pre-boost" mode, although none of the compressor output is used by the engine at this point. Approaching 4500 rpm, the second turbo's output is added to the intake air, and both turbos operate in parallel. Most cars which are advertised as "twin turbo" operate by having the two equally sized turbos constantly running in parallel; the turbos spool up at the same time. The sequential mode provides greater low-end response at the expense of increased complexity and cost.

For this generation, the Supra received a new 6-speed Getrag transmission on the Turbo models while the naturally aspirated models made do with a 5-speed manual. Both models were offered with a 4-speed automatic with a manumatic mode. However, the turbo model used 4-piston brake calipers on the front and 2-piston calipers for the rear. The base model used 2-piston calipers for the front and a single piston caliper for the rear. The turbo models were fitted with 235/45/17 tires on the front and 255/40/17 tires for the rear. The base model used 225/50/16 for the front and 245/50/16 for the rears. All vehicles were equipped with 5-spoke aluminium alloy wheels and a "donut" spare tire on a steel wheel.

Toyota took measures to reduce the weight of the current model compared to the previous model. The Supra featured hollow carpet fibers. Aluminium was used for the hood, targa top (if so equipped), front crossmember, oil pan, and upper A-arms. Other measures included dished out head bolts, magnesium steering wheel, plastic gas tank, gas injected rear spoiler, and a large single exhaust tip. Despite having more features such as dual airbags, traction control, larger brakes, larger wheels, and larger tires, the car was at least 100 lbs lighter than its predecessor.

For the 1996 model year, the turbo model was only available with the automatic transmission due to OBD2 certification requirements. The targa roof was made standard on all turbo models. For 1997, the manual transmission is back for the optional engine along with a redesign of the tail lights, front fascia, chromed wheels, and other minor changes such as the radio and steering wheel designs. All 1997 models included badges that said, "Limited Edition 15th Anniversary." For 1998, the radio and steering wheel were redesigned once again. The naturally aspirated engine was enhanced with VVTI which raised the output by 5 hp and 10 ft·lbf of torque. The turbo model was not available in California, New York, and Massachusetts due to increased emission regulations.

MKIV Supras have been modified (larger turbos running 30+ psi (206 kPa) of boost and other, undisclosed tweaks) to produce over 1453bhp (1084 kW), as measured at the tires, and cover the 1/4 mile (402 m) in 7.9 seconds. The stock 2JZ-GTE stock engine components are astonishingly rugged, capable of withstanding power outputs of over 1000 bhp (~850rwhp dynojet / ~730rwhp dyno dynamics) without having to update any internal components, putting its capabilities in this regard, somewhat above Nissans legendary RB26 series engine. The stock MKIV Supra chassis has also proven a very effective platform for roadracing, with (for example) several top 20 and top 10 One Lap Of America finishes in the SSGT1 class. The major deficiencies with this platform for road racing include heat management and weight due to the 2JZ iron block. The Supra is one of the heaviest 2-door Japanese sports cars, however still slightly lighter than the Nissan R33 and R34 Skyline GTRs to which the Supra is traditionally a rival in its home country.

The MKIV has become one of the most popular import platforms for modification. This trend has largely been driven by the strength of the stock parts. Untouched motors have been shown to withstand power levels in excess of 3 times what the stock motor is rated at. For less than USD$1000 the owner can increase the power output from 320 crank horsepower (stock) to around 500 crank horsepower. The car has also been hyped and glamourised in several major motion pictures, to a widely mixed reception depending mostly on the age of audience. In the drag racing circuit, Supras and other 2JZ-powered cars have been running very competitively against domestics with two or three times the displacement. The 2JZ has been recognized as one of the most capable import engines, and the engine design has altered very little since the 2JZ was released in 1993.

In 1998, Toyota ceased to import the cars to the U.S. from Japan, although the car was last sold in Canada in 1995. They stopped production of the car altogether in August 2002 due to new emission standards coming into effect in 2003.

AK

29th Nov 06 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bit useless for NA's bar the 1st sentence
AK

29th Nov 06 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

.0-liter twin-cam 24-valve EFI inline 6-cylinder with VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing); 225 hp @ 6,000 rpm; 220 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm
AK

29th Nov 06 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1998 preliminary EPA mileage estimates determined by Toyota. Final 1998 EPA mileage estimates not available at time of posting. See your Toyota dealer for details.
4-speed automatic:
18/24 - Supra
18/23 - Supra Turbo
6-speed manual:
not applicable - Supra
17/24 - Supra Turbo
Cupra Steve
Banned

29th Nov 06 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they are 0-60 in 6 secs which aint slow. I wouldn't buy one for speed, i'd get one for showing off! "i have a supra!" Fit an electronic DV!!! LOL!!!
andy1868

29th Nov 06 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so 225bhp then? its not something i would turn my nose up at tbh. only 60 less than the twin turbo which doesn't seem a vast amount to my admittedly limited knowledge of cars

[Edited on 29-11-2006 by andy1868]
Daimo B

29th Nov 06 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DAMMIT 5bhp out
AK

29th Nov 06 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a std supra is like a caged animal.... runs low boost, slow spooling, twin cats....

400bhp with very little money spent is easy
Carl

29th Nov 06 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
quote:
Originally posted by Doug

1 friend had a TT Supra (Standard), he's had lots of tuned cars.
Another friend had a NA Supra, Same shape.

A long drive down to the coast (all jetkski lot) and some "fun" denoted that the TT wasn't overall THAT much quicker in standard format. He was really cheesed off about it.

How true that is im not sure, but why would he lie about his car beating, but not destroying an NA model, owned by his friends....

And a 1.8 Corsa won't keep up

Im with AK, good cars. If your worrying about fuel on a 3.0 your really looking at the wrong kind of engine. Stick to a derv or 1.2.....

Cheers.
never said i was worried, i was asking if people were assuming, if someone says they are 'Thirsty' to me that would mean they are absolute shit on fuel 10 miles to the gallon type thing. thats why i was trying to ask for some proper information rather than, 'their slow' their thristy' 'my mates saxo furio is quicker' rubbish.
Cupra Steve
Banned

29th Nov 06 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it would still be quicker than a 182 i'd of thought. Not a slow car. My mate was in to minds whether to get one of them or his dc2, but finding a nice example in manual is bloody hard!!
AK

29th Nov 06 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used to do about 260miles to £50 with a 480bhp TT Supra.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Supra's, what are the non-turbo's like? 22 database queries in 0.0155580 seconds