corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Spun my car

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Spun my car
Graham88

User status: Offline
26th Oct 07 at 04:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, what an eventful night!

This isn't gonna be a thread where I'll talk about how it wasn't my fault, how there was diesel on the road etc etc. Basically, I was driving like a dick, I crashed, I accept what I was doing wrong and I've paid for it in damage.

I was driving like a cock on the way home from work, it was wet, I was driving harder than I've ever driven, really pushing my car, more than I've ever done in the dry (Twat). Came onto a roundabout and it all happened so quickly from there. I entered it at about 50 (I've done it before and been fine, I just didn't account for it being wet and it was too late by the time I was entering to adjust speed) and as I steered around the roundabout the back just swung out, then I panicked, so I tried steering back quickly which wasn't happening without power steering, and as I did so it gripped and swung the opposite way and because my steering was to the left I would have needed to go full lock to the right, not gonna happen without power steering. Originally I thought I was gonna smash the front end, but it kept spinning and I thought I was going to miss the kerb and go off the exit, but my back wheel smashed against the kerb and it was the worst noise I've ever heard!

At that point I just thought "Shit", got out, saw a little ding in the alloy but wasn't too worried and went to drive off as normal. Drove about 10 metres down the road and back just started shaking all over the place as if I was trying to drive the handbrake on. Pulled over, took wheel off and it appears that the hub is bent very slightly, so my wheel has some mental camber. Snapped a clip on my arch so it's hanging off a bit but I couldn't care about that.

Drove it home as I wasn't far and I drove no faster than about 15mph as my back was trying to overtake the front. I'm pretty sure (and hoping) that it's just the hub, and the reason the back is so shaky is where the wheel is bent outwards, it's trying to steer right which is why back sticks out to the right. I'm hoping it's nothing drastic like the rear beam or coilovers! I've really no idea to be honest. I'll take pictures tomorrow as it's too dark but some suggestions as to what could be damaged would be lovely so I can read tomorrow afternoon.

Lesson to be learnt?

Get a car with power steering so I can drift easier

Or more realistically, don't drive like a bell end in the wet!

Essay over, I needed to vent that
Andy Stocker

26th Oct 07 at 04:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
Well, what an eventful night!

This isn't gonna be a thread where I'll talk about how it wasn't my fault, how there was diesel on the road etc etc. Basically, I was driving like a dick, I crashed, I accept what I was doing wrong and I've paid for it in damage.

I was driving like a cock on the way home from work, it was wet, I was driving harder than I've ever driven, really pushing my car, more than I've ever done in the dry (Twat). Came onto a roundabout and it all happened so quickly from there. I entered it at about 50 (I've done it before and been fine, I just didn't account for it being wet and it was too late by the time I was entering to adjust speed) and as I steered around the roundabout the back just swung out, then I panicked, so I tried steering back quickly which wasn't happening without power steering, and as I did so it gripped and swung the opposite way and because my steering was to the left I would have needed to go full lock to the right, not gonna happen without power steering. Originally I thought I was gonna smash the front end, but it kept spinning and I thought I was going to miss the kerb and go off the exit, but my back wheel smashed against the kerb and it was the worst noise I've ever heard!

At that point I just thought "Shit", got out, saw a little ding in the alloy but wasn't too worried and went to drive off as normal. Drove about 10 metres down the road and back just started shaking all over the place as if I was trying to drive the handbrake on. Pulled over, took wheel off and it appears that the hub is bent very slightly, so my wheel has some mental camber. Snapped a clip on my arch so it's hanging off a bit but I couldn't care about that.

Drove it home as I wasn't far and I drove no faster than about 15mph as my back was trying to overtake the front. I'm pretty sure (and hoping) that it's just the hub, and the reason the back is so shaky is where the wheel is bent outwards, it's trying to steer right which is why back sticks out to the right. I'm hoping it's nothing drastic like the rear beam or coilovers! I've really no idea to be honest. I'll take pictures tomorrow as it's too dark but some suggestions as to what could be damaged would be lovely so I can read tomorrow afternoon.

Lesson to be learnt?

Get a car with power steering so I can drift easier

Or more realistically, don't drive like a bell end in the wet!

Essay over, I needed to vent that

Or alternatively don't drive like a bell end full stop putting yourself and other roadusers at risk.
Graham88

26th Oct 07 at 05:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, sorry Mr "I drive at the speed limit all the time and don't give it at all" Stocker.

And for your information, it was 3am, saw about 10 cars in total and wasn't endangering them

[Edited on 26-10-2007 by Graham88]
Brett
Premium Member

26th Oct 07 at 06:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What car you got?

The thing with crashing at that time of night...Although there's less cars on the road. If you do crash and are stuck there in the road, other road users are generally expecting a car to be lay there fucked in the middle of the road and could crash into you.

You should read this tbh http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=391188
JM_16v

26th Oct 07 at 07:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AK

26th Oct 07 at 07:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

power steering wont have saved you there
micra_pete
Premium Member

26th Oct 07 at 07:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how old are you graham?
Fro

26th Oct 07 at 07:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bad news mate, Hope you've learnt your lesson about driving in the wet, I've had a scary occasion in the past but managed to correct it and I've never been a knob in the wet since.
Tom

26th Oct 07 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FPMSL @ power steering being the reason you couldn't keep hold of it
Tom

26th Oct 07 at 07:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FPMSL @ power steering being the reason you couldn't keep hold of it
micra_pete
Premium Member

26th Oct 07 at 08:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

click me and have a read here
Fro

26th Oct 07 at 08:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what brett linked to above.

[Edited on 26-10-2007 by fro-dizzle]
micra_pete
Premium Member

26th Oct 07 at 08:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Matt L

26th Oct 07 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

@ the link really does make you think.

Fro

26th Oct 07 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by micra_pete

Stu

26th Oct 07 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Youve probably bent the rear beam matey, I did the same thing in my old Corsa.

Scrap yard - £80 or so a few hours to fit it!

It is a Corsa isnt it?
Brett
Premium Member

26th Oct 07 at 09:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A corsa 'drifting'?
Fro

26th Oct 07 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stu
Youve probably bent the rear beam matey, I did the same thing in my old Corsa.

Scrap yard - £80 or so a few hours to fit it!

It is a Corsa isnt it?

Yup
Andy Stocker

26th Oct 07 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
Ok, sorry Mr "I drive at the speed limit all the time and don't give it at all" Stocker.

And for your information, it was 3am, saw about 10 cars in total and wasn't endangering them

[Edited on 26-10-2007 by Graham88]

Apology accepted.
Never said I don't speed, in fact I recently attended a speed awareness after being caught. However I don't drive like a 'bell end', whether its 3am or 3pm.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

26th Oct 07 at 10:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whoops

You want to buy a rear beam?

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Graham88

26th Oct 07 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
A corsa 'drifting'?

I was being sarcastic, some people at work always talk about how you can drift a FWD car, I'm used to saying drifting cause I take the piss out of them

Already commented on that other thread, bottom of page 1.

Going to take some pics now.

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
You want to buy a rear beam?

If it's damaged I'll need to, although don't wanna travel 100 miles to you for one
Paul_J

26th Oct 07 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha - so many people do this...

My mate crashed his saxo on the nurburgring by doing exactly same thing...

School boy error number #1

"When the rear end loses out and the car oversteers, too much opposite lock is applied and then held for too long!"

This then grips and throws the car the other way, then they either spin off that way or repeat and put too much opposite lock on the other way.

You should of turned slightly out, applied some gas, and then straightened out the wheel. I don't really think the lack of power steering could be blamed. You'd of done the same / worse with power steering.
Graham88

26th Oct 07 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IIRC there are 4 turns to opposite lock. So I'd have to do 8 turns in a matter of a couple of seconds, I simply wasn't prepared enough to do that, even if I was prepared I don't think I could physically do it!

I do feel I could have done better no doubt, I just didn't expect it in the slightest and panicked when push came to shove. It is completely my error and I'm not looking for theories to prove it's my error, as I already know
Fad

26th Oct 07 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As much as I can symphise with you mate you have done yourself no favours posting this as your just going to get torn a new ass hole from the self rightious memebers.
Graham88

26th Oct 07 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I knew that before I posted, I laugh at those posters comments on every "I crashed" post so couldn't care less

Got some pics, took quite a few to try and give you an idea of the damage and what things could be damaged to cause it:

If you look at the hub at the top and then at the bottom, the top is sticking out more..

Where I shone the torch, looks like a bigger gap at the top than the bottom, could be bent there?

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Spun my car 23 database queries in 0.0166092 seconds