corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Learning to Drive

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Learning to Drive
Adam C
Premium Member

User status: Offline
7th Nov 07 at 22:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im still learning to drive, and have been doing so for 7 months.
Have had 32 lessons, a 1 hour lesson each week and also get out in my car 3/4 times a week.

I asked some people at my work who are my age and are driving - how long it took them to pass.
One guy said 2 months and another 3 months, and Ive noticed alot of people who where in my year at school are all out driving and have passed there tests.
I know everyone takes to driving differently but I still do not notice a difference in my driving since when i started to drive.
I mean I still stall, forget my mirrors and take over 5 minutes doing maneuvers.

Its starting to worry me, as today I tried to be confident and try and do things better and quicker - but ended up almost having a crash as I panicked coming out of a junction, broke into a sweat and my Dad had to drive the rest of the way home

Just wondered how long it took you guys to pass your test and how many lessons did you have?

Thanks for the Help
Adam

My Arden Blue Astra GSi MK4 on BBS LM's Project Thread
Hamish

7th Nov 07 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

about 25 hours with BSM

Nothing with my parents

passed it in about 3 months of starting the lessons
dan_c4rsa

i passed with 15 hours-worth of lessons. was about 2 months.

But thats not the point. ive had 3 mates who took over half a year to pass. Slow learners but are good now.
Dan Lewis

1month after my birthday passed 1st time.

Girlfriends brother has been doing it for a year and a half and failed 3 tests so far.
andy1868

7th Nov 07 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

about 3 1/2 months altogether, it was about 12/13 lessons but i did alot of driving with my dad, every day for about a month before the rest, each time for 2 hours or so.

its different for everyone, wouldn't worry about it
flame1987

i found that i didnt seem to notice how much of an improvement i was making for a while. but then all of a sudden you realise and things start to come naturally without thinking. relax dont worry about how long it takes just stay confident and dont panic
John

Driving might not be for you mate, 32 lessons plus out in your own car multiple times a week you should have passed about 3 or 4 months ago.
Nick-S

i had 13 drivein lessons, people pick up drivein faster than others, its nothing to b botherd about, it just about gettin used to it
Dan Lewis

get a bike
pow
Premium Member

7th Nov 07 at 22:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just take your time mate, everyone takes their own time. I belive that you start learning when youve passed
JM_16v

7th Nov 07 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

took me ages cos instructor was crap then got a new instructor and he wipped me into shape
Dan295

7th Nov 07 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Just take your time mate, everyone takes their own time. I belive that you start learning when youve passed

agreed, with the stalling thing dont worry its a pride thing, everyone takes the piss when you do it but i stalled on every driving lesson i had up until the lesson before my test
Schlumpfy

7th Nov 07 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just take your time mate. I bet you see going out as a chore that you don't want to do sometimes as well? Just take your time about it. Haste leads to mistakes. Try talking to yourself in your head as you drive along what you're going to do next i.e. 'And now as i stop at the lights i dip the clutch' etc..
Tom

7th Nov 07 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

12 lessons, passed 1st time
pow
Premium Member

7th Nov 07 at 23:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I stalled in my IAM pre test, still passed it.
ed

7th Nov 07 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had 7 lessons.
Adam C
Premium Member

7th Nov 07 at 23:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the advice, i will stick at it and hope for the best.

Going out doesnt feel like a chrore as such, I just panic badly lol

Before My weekly lesson I panic badly, sweat badly etc., and when im in the car I just lock up, find it hard to chat to my instructor when she speaks to me.
When it comes to me driving mine I still panic, I don't look at it as a chore and try and get it over and done with, I try and ignore the nerves and drive and try and improve, I just havent seen any improvement recently, just seems Im still making the same mistakes.

ShEp

7th Nov 07 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had 0 lessons

passed theory 1st time
passed practical 2nd time
chris_uk
Premium Member

7th Nov 07 at 23:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my ex's bro took his test 16 times and past on the 16th. so i wouldnt worry,

I had 15 hours of lessons and did my test and passed 1st time
Liam

7th Nov 07 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I started about 7 weeks ago, had 7 lessons. I'm the same, I tend to forget to do simple things when im driving, end up looking like a tit
Adam C
Premium Member

7th Nov 07 at 23:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea I will try and keep a cool head about it, just keep getting out and trying to get better with experience.

Thanks Guys, here's to another 7 months! lol

Olsrey

7th Nov 07 at 23:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Took me 7 months dude .

Its worth the wait but I know what you mean about worring and it feeling like a chore. Just stick with it and all your hard work will be worth it. Also as Dan said, doesn't matter if you stall, its just a pride thing, I stall atleast once every week and get laughed at, doesn't bother me because I know im a much better drive than they all are.
Adam C
Premium Member

8th Nov 07 at 00:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Olsrey
Took me 7 months dude .

Its worth the wait but I know what you mean about worring and it feeling like a chore. Just stick with it and all your hard work will be worth it. Also as Dan said, doesn't matter if you stall, its just a pride thing, I stall atleast once every week and get laughed at, doesn't bother me because I know im a much better drive than they all are.

Have booked my test for Jan 9th 2008 so that will take me up to 9ish months of learning, personally I dont feel ready what so ever, its just that ive had my instructor going on at me to book it and if i fail- I will then know what i need to work on.

I will stick with it and hopefully I will see a turn around, it took me 3 times to pass my theory, just makes me think how many times its going to take for my practical? lol

Olsrey

8th Nov 07 at 00:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I passed theory second time round JUST. Failed first time on stupid hazard preception . I got easier questions second time round .

I didn't feel ready but when the day came I just did what he asked and passed . Got a few stupid minors for silly pathetic things like aproaching a junction slightly too fast etc .
VegasPhil
Premium Member

8th Nov 07 at 00:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chew Gum

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Learning to Drive 23 database queries in 0.2540431 seconds