corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Quick Question Building a simple track car.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Quick Question Building a simple track car.
blebo

User status: Offline
7th Jul 08 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, just needs to be simple track car, built as cheap as possible. Based on a corsa b c20xe

Car
Engine converstion
Brakes
Suspension
Rollcage
Seat
Stripped out
Racing Steering Wheel
Paint job

Is there anything else I would need

and would £5K be enough??

p.s. this a work related question
ed

7th Jul 08 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why fuck around with a re-spray? Or even an engine conversion... If you want something cheap and simple then a 205 GTi is a good place to start.
corsacalvin

7th Jul 08 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or a clio 1.8 16v,
blebo

7th Jul 08 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Re Spay is need as it will be paid for by a sponsor so will need to be sprayed in their colour...I am open to what vehicles get used however
Colin

7th Jul 08 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsa's dont make good track cars its been tried & tested. 106 Rallye with a 16v lump & TB's, suspension, brakes, fuck everything else!!
blebo

7th Jul 08 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Corsa's dont make good track cars its been tried & tested. 106 Rallye with a 16v lump & TB's, suspension, brakes, fuck everything else!!

Whats the Cost???
Butler

7th Jul 08 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why is everyone so disillusioned. Forums warp peoples minds I swear. You want a track car... Not a race car. Obviously you are going to want something quite capable naturally. You can get a pretty average condition 106 Rallye for about 800 quid+, in standard form you wont be disapointed. Otherwise 205 GTIs are great cars and will beat alot round a track. Also worth looking at are Seat Ibizas, Saxo VTR/VTS are getting cheap, clios as someone said. Track cars are only as good as the driver. With track days the level of capabilities between drivers is sooo diverse. You get gay boys poncing about in big power imprezas who you can overtake in something much much less capable.
The way I see it is, spend less on the car, more on driving it and keeping it going - that way you gain more experience which is worth alot more than any expensive performance modification. There is also a lot of satisfaction in saying you overtook someone in a car that has had thousands thrown at it in your car which is as good as standard.
SVM 286

7th Jul 08 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nicely put Jimbo.

I'd love to take a 205 GTi on track.
Butler

7th Jul 08 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Perfect example really. Theres alot more satisfaction overtaking a 16v 106 in an 8v. At least you can be sure you are driving well rather than letting the engine do the work.

My 106 rallye owes me about 4.5k overall, and on my last track day overtook pretty much everything infront of me. That included imprezas, evos, 16v 106s, saxo vts', a skyline, 911 carrera rs.
Butler

7th Jul 08 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
Nicely put Jimbo.

I'd love to take a 205 GTi on track.

If they are anything as fun as my old standard s1 rallye was, its smiles all the way round, and at the end of the day isnt having fun the most important thing
stubbsy05

8th Jul 08 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd go with a 205 GTI 1.9 for a track car or 106 GTI/VTS.

jr

8th Jul 08 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Corsa's dont make good track cars its been tried & tested

i would say thats not true at all colin
Paul_J

8th Jul 08 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Butler
Track cars are only as good as the driver.

I agree.
Corsa_Sport21

8th Jul 08 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:
Track cars are only as good as the driver.

I agree.

I also agree.
My mate has an XE nova trackcar thats running standard power,v6 brakes,stripped interior and a cage he made up himself and its lowered on springs with standard shocks.
Ive seen him numerous times pushing off so called fast cars,mostly on the corners when they slow down and he dosnt,then they exceed there limits instead of just letting him by and end up in the kitty litter.
Hes a very good driver and has got balls which IMHO makes up half a decent track car.

[Edited on 08-07-2008 by Corsa_Sport21]
Kurt

8th Jul 08 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lightweight alloy wheels should be on that list too
smcGSI16V

8th Jul 08 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kurt
lightweight alloy wheels should be on that list too

With some proper tyres, ie R888's.

Also poly bushes.
jr

8th Jul 08 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry, think you all wrong, with all due respect your spec'ing a track car past your abilty (more than likely)

get a 106xsi/205gti and make sure its safe

only start spending cash on mods when you feel you can actully drive the car and have learnt the tracks

most peoples mistake is to spend too long building the car with to much cash (me included) but not actully get out and get track time, which will be worth so much more than mods
Paul_J

8th Jul 08 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly jr... and also I find the more time and money people put into building their 'ultimate track car' - the more conservatively (slowly) they drive it, thus meaning all those fancy and expensive parts were essentially wasted, as a shit box being driven properly will overtake it in seconds.
Butler

8th Jul 08 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LOL James, but you still havent learnt your lesson!
Marc

8th Jul 08 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Why is everyone so disillusioned. Forums warp peoples minds I swear. You want a track car... Not a race car. Obviously you are going to want something quite capable naturally. You can get a pretty average condition 106 Rallye for about 800 quid+, in standard form you wont be disapointed. Otherwise 205 GTIs are great cars and will beat alot round a track. Also worth looking at are Seat Ibizas, Saxo VTR/VTS are getting cheap, clios as someone said. Track cars are only as good as the driver. With track days the level of capabilities between drivers is sooo diverse. You get gay boys poncing about in big power imprezas who you can overtake in something much much less capable.
The way I see it is, spend less on the car, more on driving it and keeping it going - that way you gain more experience which is worth alot more than any expensive performance modification. There is also a lot of satisfaction in saying you overtook someone in a car that has had thousands thrown at it in your car which is as good as standard.

Whos being delusionaled? The first few post mention 106's (Something you have) and a Clio 16V. You're the one mentioning big power Imprezas.
Robin
Premium Member

8th Jul 08 at 19:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's a 'racing steering wheel' ?

out of all the things you've listed, to make a track car which works, all you need is the car, some good brakes if it hasn't got them standard some strippage and some good suspension. Seats would be next on my list as they make a massive difference. Everything else is not a necessity.
Butler

8th Jul 08 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
quote:

Whos being delusionaled? The first few post mention 106's (Something you have) and a Clio 16V. You're the one mentioning big power Imprezas.

The guy who started the thread...
ed

8th Jul 08 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
What's a 'racing steering wheel' ?

One which says Momo on it. Duh Robin, I thought you knew stuff about cars
Marc

8th Jul 08 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Impreza has a Momo steering wheel

AK

8th Jul 08 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

JR is quite right....

You dont need a lot to get a basic track car...

We built our old 205 1.9 GTi for about £1400, including the car.

Fit a cage, decent susp and brakes.... then learn the car and yourself. Once thats done... sell it or improve the car.

You will have offs. You will get stone chips.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Quick Question Building a simple track car. 22 database queries in 0.0290189 seconds