corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » help im in a bit of a pickle...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author help im in a bit of a pickle...
SteveW

User status: Offline
10th Aug 08 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well after going to Santa Pod for PVS i wanted to build a silly spec drag corsa..

then after going to Ten of the Best i still wanted a silly spec drag corsa..

NOW
after Time Attack i have seen the light... track day corsa would be soooo much fun

however.. trackdays cost a bomd... drag events dont cost as much and there is probably more wear and tear on a track car than a drag car. so costs would be cheaper in the long run with a drag car

basically i dont know what im doing
jr

10th Aug 08 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

track car, dont go mental on the spec (like you said) just make it go and stop well
SteveW

10th Aug 08 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really i dont think you would need more than 250bhp for a FWD track car, enough power on the straight and not too much to waste trying to put it down...

main feature im more worried about is a good cage (after seeing that evo roll today)
Paul_J

10th Aug 08 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool

As many will say, you don't need stupid power to have a laugh on track, probably even better to start off in something small, light, good handling and not mega power so it forces you to carry the speed through bends.

If you do decide on a Let Corsa FWD car, speak to Sporty Boy and P1CKD as both have taken their cars on track and can probably give you some pointers on how it handles / what to do to get it to handle.

Otherwise, perhaps look at a different base for the track car?

Clio 172 cup would be a nice cheap way to have a good track car? can leave it standard too and it be good instantly.
Colin

10th Aug 08 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tra ck car but not a corsa, its been proven there not up to it.
jr

10th Aug 08 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

buy who colin ????

ak had engine issues, not anything else

and corsa/nova essentially the same, and novas are excelent as track cars
Adam_B

10th Aug 08 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

costs loads of money to make a corsa decent on track. Might as well just start out with a decent car.
jr

10th Aug 08 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

same as alot of cars though, costs alot of cash to get an old 205 up to standard though

16v ate set up, Decent suspension, and a tunned 1600 is enough to be impresive on track, just like warreng was at coombe

there not the best, but there not the worse
Paul_J

10th Aug 08 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
costs loads of money to make a corsa decent on track. Might as well just start out with a decent car.

I agree.

Clio 172 cup 3.5k -> Sorted for a first cheap track car imo.
P1CK4D

10th Aug 08 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J

If you do decide on a Let Corsa FWD car, speak to Sporty Boy and P1CKD as both have taken their cars on track and can probably give you some pointers on how it handles / what to do to get it to handle.

If I was to build a pure track corsa. It wouldnt be a LET. Mine is only running 230bhp and tbh, that is plenty for FWD car of the size, weight etc around the track. I would have a XE on TB's all the way. Instant, Progressive power constantly. The white Nova today was quick as fuck on track
jr

but as steve has bought a corsa, because he wants one, i think suggesting a clio is a bit of a non statement
SteveW

well after seeing that clio 172 today, was very impressed
also the Astra VXRs were great but i cant afford one as a track car

will be having a think about it.. see whats the best options.

have seen a few corsas on track but i think most are 1.6TBs or 2.0XE

although did see that video of the white LET giving some serious trouble to the Bruce Taxi evo
jr

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B

I agree.

Clio 172 cup 3.5k -> Sorted for a first cheap track car imo.

also vauxhalls 2nd and 3rd on the handling track this year at TOTB
jr

10th Aug 08 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by P1CK4D
quote:

If I was to build a pure track corsa. It wouldnt be a LET. Mine is only running 230bhp and tbh, that is plenty for FWD car of the size, weight etc around the track. I would have a XE on TB's all the way. Instant, Progressive power constantly. The white Nova today was quick as fuck on track

did you see it up close ? minted
P1CK4D

10th Aug 08 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
quote:
Originally posted by P1CK4D
quote:

did you see it up close ? minted

No I never Just know it was fucking rapid!
Paul_J

10th Aug 08 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
but as steve has bought a corsa, because he wants one, i think suggesting a clio is a bit of a non statement

Sorry I wasn't aware he'd bought a corsa already.

Was just stating for a cheap, instantly good (no major work needed) track car - you can't go wrong with a clio 172 cup.

In that case, as PICKD says, 2.0 16v on TB's with stiff rear end, LSD and track tyres. That white nova today was ace
Fee

10th Aug 08 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr

ak had engine issues, not anything else

Adam's had issues full stop!

Seriously though, I'm sure even Adam would agree that the £1k 205 was a hell of a lot better on track than the £20k odd corsa

Yes, on the rare occasion that it worked it would go, but the handling wasnt great and it definitely wasnt the best car for on track
SteveW

10th Aug 08 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do TBs need regular setups up as much as carbs ??
i know the instant power of an NA car is much needed on track but i loved my old LET corsa..

was great fun
Robin
Premium Member

10th Aug 08 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This might come as a bit of a shock, I think some of you should probably sit down before reading it.....

I'd go for a TBd XE for a track car. With the right suspension setup, they do handle, obviously not as well as a 16XE with the same suspension bits, but they do still handle.

Ant's is a perfect example of a well prepared car, decent power, drives brilliantly, the suspension is good, blah blah blah.

I took it to Santa Pod for him for PVS, obviously, with it not being my car, I didn't actually give it any abuse, but I was surprised by the way it turned in at the first roundabout I came to after leaving work.

So there, that's what I'd do.

TBd XEs are proven to be good drag cars too, so you've got the best of both worlds.
Jambo

10th Aug 08 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

buy a 1.9 205 gti, or an mx5 or an mr2 or an old E30 for track

Make the corsa as planned.
Paul_J

10th Aug 08 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SteveW
do TBs need regular setups up as much as carbs ??
i know the instant power of an NA car is much needed on track but i loved my old LET corsa..

was great fun

To be honest Steve, if it's fairly well setup, on good tyres and has a LSD it won't be the worst car in the world.

I personally agree with jr in a lot of ways, there's no reason why a Corsa can't be made to go quick on track and having a LET power plant for the straights will be handy

I think the problems maybe are that mid bend if it boosts up it'll cause understeer due to spinning up a wheel, if you don't go on the power it'll cause understeer due to being off the power in a FWD car.

However, stiff rear end, LSD and decent tyres (R888's / A048r) should definately help
Tappits

10th Aug 08 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing wrong with a 20xe on the track or a let for that matter you just have to do it right
and who spent 20k on a corsa and it was not better than a 1k 205??? prob something wrong there.
for 1k there will be nothing better than a 205 but if you spend the ££££ i dont see how any car would not be good on the track if you do the right things
Butler

10th Aug 08 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your going to be silly with it, experiment. Mount the engine lower and further back. Concerntrate solely on setting it up for handling, you cant go wrong.
Superlite Ltd.

10th Aug 08 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can take the piss as much as you want, but for a track car i'd rather buy

ed

10th Aug 08 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'd have fun with your car on a track without spending some stupid sum of money on the engine. For a first track car there is no point in spending loads of money on bits because you wont know how to use them properly and when you bin it into the wall it will be that much more painful looking at the damage and the repair bill.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » help im in a bit of a pickle... 22 database queries in 0.0126579 seconds