corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anyone a Constrction Project Manager? UPDATE.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone a Constrction Project Manager? UPDATE.
sigibbons

User status: Offline
25th Jan 09 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im a qualified chippie, 21 years old looking at moving up to a constrction managers role, i've been in the trade for 5 years so seems like i have enough experience now.

I was just wondering if anyone on the site works as a manager in the constrction industry and could give me some pointers on which training route to take?

Thanks, Simon.

[Edited on 21-06-2009 by sigibbons]
mattk

25th Jan 09 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you need to know how to moan, slow the job down, talk rubbish and hold a clipboard
AlexSXI

25th Jan 09 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm training to be one,

its through an honours degree in construction management,

part-time- 1 day a week- 6 years
full-time-3 days a week-3 years
my employer pays for the course and made me do the 1 day a week one so its a long haul, im half way through the first year

prior to that i was a labourer for 2 years, will be fully qualified when im 24 as im 19 now
smcGSI16V

25th Jan 09 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am.
NVQ 3 Chippie.

I then had to change for health reasons as I fucked my back.
So I done
GNVQ advanced const and built environment 2 yrs, then
HNC Building studies 2 yrs. didn't bother doing the extras to take it to a HND as I had then spent 8 years at college and was sick of it.
I done all of mine part time.
AlexSXI

25th Jan 09 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tis alot of college, i did a 2year construction diploma now this 6yr degree so will have also done 8 years by the end of it

worth it to have the qualifications i suppose
Bram

25th Jan 09 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm studying towards a degree in Quantity Surveying and Construction Commercial Management, halfway through my first year of 5 Part-time, 1 day a week and I hate it! (probably because it's my second degree! )
jrsteeve

25th Jan 09 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm doing a part time course at uni - HNC construction and property which is 2 years then go on to building surveying in the 3rd and get a degree. There are site management and other options after the initial 2 years so have a look into that maybe?
jrsteeve

25th Jan 09 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and also now would be a good time to train up whilst the markets are slow
sigibbons

25th Jan 09 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right....... Alot of great info there guys, i'll take my tim to look up the courses ytou all took. But to keep you up to date with my situation i'll copy over what i wrote on another forum.

I wont be looking for a job for at least another couple of years as i plan to go away travelling for however long i feel like first

But while i'm saving for my trip im going to start some training. The Chartered Institute of Building do a distance learning course in Site Supervision which is 9 months long, then you can progress on to their next course, Diploma in Site Management.

I was going to try and do these before i go away so im hopefully set when i return i can apply for trainee project managing positions?
AlexSXI

25th Jan 09 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

make sure you get your timings right though because around here you can only start these types of courses at the local colleges/unis at the start of the academic year in september
sigibbons

25th Jan 09 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bram
I'm studying towards a degree in Quantity Surveying and Construction Commercial Management, halfway through my first year of 5 Part-time, 1 day a week and I hate it! (probably because it's my second degree! )

Is this purely a uni based full time course?
sigibbons

25th Jan 09 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right the course's im looking at are run by the CIOB (Chartered Institute Of Building).

- Certificate in Site Supervisory Studies.

This lasts around 9 months (180 study hours) and can be done via distance learning, they send you work books/packs/cd's etc and you mail it back for marking i guess.

Second one is

- Diploma in Site Management.

This has to be done at a uni/collage one evenign a week for around the same period as the above.

Am i right in thinking these are an HNC and HND?

Thanks ALOT chaps!
Bram

25th Jan 09 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm doing it part-time over 5 years as I have a full time job as a QS with Tarmac. It can be done full-time though over 3 years and is accredited by the RICS of which you can be affiliated once you have graduated
AlexSXI

25th Jan 09 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah they're HNC + HND,

personally i'd chose the second 1 because your in the room with the tutor and if you dont understand something theyre there to help you rather than doing it interactivally,

up to you though, they're both good courses which lead to a good qualification and are fairly 'easy' (dont know if thats the right word to use) to pass.
sigibbons

25th Jan 09 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you let me know who provides your training? And what qualification you get after completion.

Also are you guys training to get the qualification so you can get a Construction Management job? Or did you apply as a trainee and your employer has put you though your training?

Thanks!
sigibbons

25th Jan 09 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlexSXI
yeah they're HNC + HND,

personally i'd chose the second 1 because your in the room with the tutor and if you dont understand something theyre there to help you rather than doing it interactivally,

up to you though, they're both good courses which lead to a good qualification and are fairly 'easy' (dont know if thats the right word to use) to pass.

Alex, thanks.

You think they look like good courses?

http://www.ciob.org.uk/filegrab/1CourseInformationBrochure_v2.pdf?ref=876

I'm pretty sure they require you to complete the first one then progress to the second so i'd have to do both. You can do the first one in a classroom but the nearest centre which does the training is around 100 miles away so easier for distance learning.
The second course has to be taught in a classroom so i'll just have to put up with the drive....

By the way these are self funded and i think each course is around £700.
AlexSXI

25th Jan 09 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i do my degree at colchester institute, my employer is tj evers builders, when i got employed it was in my contract to do a course like the one im doing, at college all the learning is from a desk and you use your time at work- on site to do projects that you can do as assignments towards your degree.
Theres alot of communication between the college tutors and the powers that be in the company to assess my progress.
sigibbons

25th Jan 09 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see!

So you just applied for a job as a trainee project manager? Did you have any construction related qualifications before applying for this job?

Thanks.
AlexSXI

25th Jan 09 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah that course looks good, 2bh there are soooo many courses to choose from and theyre all fairly similar and lead to similar qualifications, it is also very easy to change course at my college if your situation changes, for example your company want you to be a QS rather than a Project Manager.

and if your employed the company will fund the course if you ask, as they get the funding back from the government anyway
AlexSXI

25th Jan 09 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did, i completed a normal diploma in construction which is equivalent of 3 alevels at C grade, just wrote a letter to the company basically explaining i wanted to continue my education and i wanted a job at the same time to expand my learning!
sigibbons

25th Jan 09 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you sort of did the second course im looking at, the HND?

Then applied for a job as a trainee wanting to become fully qualified?

The route the CIOB shows is to take their two courses, then level NVQ 4&5, which i assume is while your in emplyment.

Really im just looking to do some training before i go away, i'm hoping it might give me a head start in job inverviews for trainee Proj Man's. Then do whatever training they want to put me through?

Did you guys who have got trainee management jobs find it easy to get a job? And what things were your employers looking for in a candidate?

Oh cheekys but whats the training wages like, and what do you expect to earn once qulified?

Thanks again!
sigibbons

21st Jun 09 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought i'd give an update on the situation.

Still looking at courses!
Now have been put off the CIOB courses by a tutor at reading uni, a tutor who runs the CIOB courses! He says its not what a young person trying to climb the career ladder needs.

I was reccomended an HNC/HND or Foundation Degree then possibly Full Degree.

Now considering Construction management, Building Surveying or maybe even QS.
oceansoul

21st Jun 09 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sigibbons
Thought i'd give an update on the situation.

Still looking at courses!
Now have been put off the CIOB courses by a tutor at reading uni, a tutor who runs the CIOB courses! He says its not what a young person trying to climb the career ladder needs.

I was reccomended an HNC/HND or Foundation Degree then possibly Full Degree.

Now considering Construction management, Building Surveying or maybe even QS.

Which uni in reading? i got to tvu doing hnc electronic engineering.
sigibbons

21st Jun 09 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep TVU went for a chat last week. Will most likely take the Foundation degree course there.
Hamish

21st Jun 09 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just completed my 1st year HNC at college in Construction and the Built Environment. Aboultly love it, but ive nver been in the industry before really.

Once ive comleted my 2nd year im looking into courses at Southbank or Westminster uni to convert it into a degree. 5 years in total.

Not to sure if i want to go down the QS or Construction Management route yet.

Out of interst which company do you work for?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anyone a Constrction Project Manager? UPDATE. 22 database queries in 0.1588030 seconds