corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Takes the piss a touch...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Takes the piss a touch...
Paul_J

User status: Offline
3rd Feb 09 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just got back to the uk, after travelling for 5 months, it's cold and snowy... not great. Anyway, I'm not going to do a Tiger on you.

I've got a letter from Student Loans company, who say 'because I'm not officially unemployed' (not claiming benefits) and they have no record of income for the last 6 months (I've been living off savings).

They assume I'm working for cash in hand / off the books and am therefore dodging paying my student loan repayments.

Therefore, from April, they will be deducting £259 a month from my account

Fucking spanners. Not only have I not been earning anything, I've been spending a shit lot travelling about. You're not supposed to have to pay anything back for loans until you're earning over £15,000 and even then it'll only be a small amount.
Ojc

3rd Feb 09 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Students, want want want
Paul_J

3rd Feb 09 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Students, want want want

I don't mind paying the student loan back, but I'd appriciate it if they waited until I started earning money.

Not taking £259 a month, when I'm now skint after spending 9-10k on travelling.
Shane

3rd Feb 09 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should have paid back some of your student loan with it instead of going travelling
Ojc

Priorities, shouldn't have gone travelling...

I'm pulling your chain, get that GTi back on the road you ghey
Ojc

quote:
Originally posted by Shane
should have paid back some of your student loan with it instead of going travelling

HIGH FIVE
Toby
Premium Member

3rd Feb 09 at 09:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be honest the last thing i would be doing was spending that sort of cash just after i had spent 15k+ at uni. Maybe should have used that to pay off some of your loan. If i was in the position of the company claiming money i would do exactly the same becuase there will be more people who are earning cash in hand than people traveling for 6 months
pow
Premium Member

3rd Feb 09 at 10:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul
richc

3rd Feb 09 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:

HIGH FIVE

I wish i had gone to uni. I know a lad who hasnt turned 19 yet, comes out with £115 a week plus random grants and bonus for turn up! Out of the £115, only 40 of it is a loan which has to be paid back. He isnt even doing anyting usefull like teaching for example. Only does about 12 hours a week

Knocks around in a 2.0 focus and is out drinking every friday and saturday
Paul_J

3rd Feb 09 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaB4ever
to be honest the last thing i would be doing was spending that sort of cash just after i had spent 15k+ at uni. Maybe should have used that to pay off some of your loan. If i was in the position of the company claiming money i would do exactly the same becuase there will be more people who are earning cash in hand than people traveling for 6 months

Debatable mate, a lot of students go travelling after they graduate.

To be honest, the way I see it. I'd prefer to go travelling now, when I have no responsabilities (house / family / career)...

I've got the rest of my life to get a job, and pay back the student loan.

In my opinion, once you're in a decent career you can't really leave to just go off travelling for 6 months. So it was either A ) go travelling now or B ) never go travelling (or let my career suffer / take a drop in pay, when I quit to go travelling years later).

Just for the info (As some may not know), generally people who are earning only pay like £90 back a month or so on their loan out of their pay packets, so this is why £259 is such a joke imo.
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Feb 09 at 10:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Paul_J

3rd Feb 09 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bah...

I can tell all the non students have decended on this thread

I'll hit edit -> delete in a bit
Leighton

3rd Feb 09 at 10:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should not of gone traveling with your student load money
Neo

3rd Feb 09 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Meh who gives a hoodle what Paul spent it on, its the fact they shouldnt be taking 259 a month, when for that much he'd have to be earning 20 something k

Surely if you give them a call and say you were travelling, you will now be working and it needs to be...whatever % of your earnings, not just a fixed £259
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

3rd Feb 09 at 10:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think thats quite unfair of them Paul, but they just assume the worse I guess. Call them up and set them straight!
richc

3rd Feb 09 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its only like emergency tax. Wack you on the highest one so they dont loose out!
Twiggy

3rd Feb 09 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So your taking advantage of student loans? You have enough money to go traveling but not to go to uni?
Toby
Premium Member

3rd Feb 09 at 10:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:

Debatable mate, a lot of students go travelling after they graduate.

To be honest, the way I see it. I'd prefer to go travelling now, when I have no responsabilities (house / family / career)...

I've got the rest of my life to get a job, and pay back the student loan.

In my opinion, once you're in a decent career you can't really leave to just go off travelling for 6 months. So it was either A ) go travelling now or B ) never go travelling (or let my career suffer / take a drop in pay, when I quit to go travelling years later).

Just for the info (As some may not know), generally people who are earning only pay like £90 back a month or so on their loan out of their pay packets, so this is why £259 is such a joke imo.

Oh i agree about whens best etc to travel, i just think you cant blame them for questioning you on what you have been doing given the current ecponomic climate and what some people are up to
ed

3rd Feb 09 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely you should have done the sensible thing and gone straight from your graduation ceremony to the job office to sign on, like most people do
Neo

3rd Feb 09 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He went before all the shit hit the fan iirc ^ (CorsaB4Ever)

[Edited on 03-02-2009 by Neo]
ed

3rd Feb 09 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
For most it's the last opportunity you can get to just fuck off and do what you like for a bit. Stop being so sensible!
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

3rd Feb 09 at 10:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Neo
He went before all the shit hit the fan iirc ^ (CorsaB4Ever)

[Edited on 03-02-2009 by Neo]

whens that then? we have had credit issues as early as August last year, and before that it just wasnt so hard hitting...
Neo

3rd Feb 09 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok...before the banks got bailed, before the whole iceland crap etc...IMO thats when it got pushed into our faces. I think he had it all planned from early last year, before it was really known how bad is what going to become.
Hamish

3rd Feb 09 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Twiggy
So your taking advantage of student loans? You have enough money to go traveling but not to go to uni?

what part of living off savings didnt you get?
deano87

3rd Feb 09 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's ridiculous tbh.

Welcome back

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Takes the piss a touch... 22 database queries in 0.0095439 seconds