corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Job Day

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Job Day
Neo

User status: Offline
19th Feb 09 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When applying for jobs, would the salary put you off if you feel its too high

Currently on x, and all the jobs for similar positions are going for 50k +

I feel stupid applying a)due to my age and b)i guess they want experience.

The only reason i'm on the cash here is because i have proved to management i can do it.

Also looked at moving to a different job role completely, and all seem to be entry salary of about £30k

Would you feel a bit stupid/worried if they asked for an interview and expected a lot more

[Edited on 19-02-2009 by Neo]
nathy_87

19th Feb 09 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know where your coming from, i've been looking at jobs they were like £35,000+ i was like why will they take on me, being Young/immature with a pay role like that?
Paul_J

19th Feb 09 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What job roles you applying for?

I didn't know you were on so much Neo impressive

Yes, I find that when I look at job adverts I some how feel I've got more chance of landing a role that say pays 23-25k than I do on the ones which say 30-35k...

i.e. you get the job for the 30-35k one and then they dump you in the deep end because for that money you 'should be expected to do it'...

I don't know - probably not the case at all, just my paranoia!
pow
Premium Member

19th Feb 09 at 13:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just go for it, if they turn you down it's not the end of the world
Conway563

19th Feb 09 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like Pow says just apply for it and see what happens.
I've been in the same situation before. Didn't get some of the jobs around £28k and then got one for about £40k.
Now I'm on shit wages but the prospects are really good and it's secure
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

19th Feb 09 at 13:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got to be in it to win it

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
jr

19th Feb 09 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im really not sure what it gains you teeling a whole internet forum how well your paid ?
Neo

19th Feb 09 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
What job roles you applying for?

Q.A, Testing, Underwriting, Network administration and not a single one on less than 30k...

When i think back to when i was looking for jobs back in feb last year, none were anything near that. Especially with the current climate.

I guess it just hits my confidence if i dont get it, more so as i can't apply for anything earning less. Gotta be in it to win it i guess.

I think the interviews would involve a lot of questions and i'd take a copy of the advert too.

Neo

19th Feb 09 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
im really not sure what it gains you teeling a whole internet forum how well your paid ?

I'm not, i'm saying its silly because there aren't any jobs going for less, right, edited for james
Paul_J

19th Feb 09 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well Neo, I'd say just apply for them... and see what happens. If you find that you arn't getting the jobs and need one, then just aim lower.

If I type in software developer in job searchs, I'll find anything from 30-80k ...

However, when I read the details they expect 2-5 years or more experience.

So then I refine my search to 'junior' or 'graduate' software developer and notice that most of the jobs being offered are around the 25k marker but say no exp or 1-2 years exp required.

So I'll probably go for the lower paid option at the moment, due to lack of commercial experience.

Although like you, I'd love to go for the higher paid jobs.

If the job advert doesn't mention any specific experience requirements then give it a crack and see what happens.
James

19th Feb 09 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in a similar situation.

I'm on a similar salary to you (I won't say how much incase I get accused of bragging), and jobs i've been looking at are £45k+. They match my skillset and experience but because there are so many people out there looking for jobs - it's quite hard to get jobs like this.
Neo

19th Feb 09 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just dont know how to get past the thought off being laughed at for trying =/ Never put my cv up for anything with that salary before so not sure what to expect back if anything. so is it worth it ?
Paul_J

19th Feb 09 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but James, you have the fact that you have the commerical experience under your belt and the fact it was a respected employer - a bank! (despite the current issues with banks).

James you've been in that job 2? years now? plus your placement year... So I'd of been expecting you to be stepping up to 45k really. I'd give it a shot if I was you.
Conway563

If you don't hear anything back though Mike what have you lost?
James

Definitely go for it.

Are they direct with the company or advertised with recruitment agencies?

If they are with recruiters, they will know whether or not you have a genuine chance of getting the role and based on that will either put you forward for it or they won't.

Nothing to lose.
pow
Premium Member

19th Feb 09 at 13:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interview practice as well and all that
Neo

19th Feb 09 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Conway563
If you don't hear anything back though Mike what have you lost?

Very true, well i just finished writing a covering letter for each and have hit submit, lets see what comes back
pow
Premium Member

19th Feb 09 at 13:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mike, do you actually do ANY work mate?
Neo

19th Feb 09 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Mike, do you actually do ANY work mate?

lol unfortunately yes. On lunch atm. Office is real quiet these days, most people have left so work load has slowed down since september times hence why im moving on. Not enough work to keep you busy means no reason to keep you on.

Plus we have just pulled out of malaysia and the middle east means development has hit a slump
James

19th Feb 09 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who do you work for Neo?
Neo

19th Feb 09 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

NDI Recognition Systems Formally Appian Technology, we make ANPR applications and camera's as well as some cool stuff that is still under secret covers. But as the market is dropping, there is less call for specialized equipment atm.

Matt L

19th Feb 09 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would put me off a bit because im not on much at all at the moment and im young so if i went for a job for 20k (which i assume i could get as of june providing my exams go well) it would put me off a little bit as id feel they are expecting someone older with more experience.
BluKoo

19th Feb 09 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 5dr corsa-3dr_polo
I know where your coming from, i've been looking at jobs they were like £35,000+ i was like why will they take on me, being Young/immature with a pay role like that?

You shouldn't think like that. My mates been in a £50k+ job since he was 18.
J da Silva

19th Feb 09 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Always try and achieve high goals, if your capable then what does it matter whether your 20 or 45? If you can do the job then go for it, they can only say no.
James

19th Feb 09 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J da Silva
Always try and achieve high goals, if your capable then what does it matter whether your 20 or 45? If you can do the job then go for it, they can only say no.

That's my thinking. If I set my targets high then I am more likely to achieve more at a younger age.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Job Day 23 database queries in 0.0132241 seconds