corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Engine wearing theories

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Engine wearing theories
sand-eel

User status: Offline
24th Feb 09 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right I've been thinking about this, people say lots of short journeys wears the engine faster than lots of long journeys.
I was thinking how? because if say your short journey was 2 miles and the long journey was 10 miles, the 10 miles journey still has to go through the 2 miles mark and on both journeys the oil/ water temp will still be the same, so should be wearing the same upto 2 miles.
Anyone have any theories?

[Edited on 24-02-2009 by sand-eel]
deano87

24th Feb 09 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Less than 2 miles is bad

It basically goes on the theory the oil isn't at operating temperature when the engine is first started therefore not protecting the engine as a whole. That is what I gathered anyway. . .
mazdaspeed

24th Feb 09 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2miles isnt really a short journey, I think most people associate short as being down the road to the shops. In 2 miles most cars would be upto normal temperature unless its winter.
antnee

To do with temps basically. I can drive for 10miles before my oil is upto 90deg. Sometimes it takes 2-3 miles for coolant to get to 90 too!

Colin

Its basic mechanical principles, running for longer at constant speed produces less wear than a similar amount of distance at varying speeds & for short intervals.
antnee

24th Feb 09 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mazdaspeed
2miles isnt really a short journey, I think most people associate short as being down the road to the shops. In 2 miles most cars would be upto normal temperature unless its winter.

2miles is short
Colin

24th Feb 09 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 miles the cars probably just getting up to temperature.

This is the exact reason Im weary of '1 lady owner, low mileage' cars. Ok its done 30k miles but dos that mean in 2nd gear starting & stopping all the way a mile or so to work & back!!
sand-eel

24th Feb 09 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah but on the long and short jouneys that oil temp would be the same at the end of the short journey to the same point on the long journey, If you know what i mean?
mazdaspeed

24th Feb 09 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why do you warm up a car to drain the oil?

DaveyLC

24th Feb 09 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are cars with intergalactic motorway miles that have spent their lives just wafting around... Same with cars with auto transmissions: less wear on the engine in general as the crank speed tends to stay in a certain range.
antnee

24th Feb 09 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
yeah but on the long and short jouneys that oil temp would be the same at the end of the short journey to the same point on the long journey, If you know what i mean?

yes but the oil is warming up, thus lubricating the engine better, thus less wear on the internals
sand-eel

25th Feb 09 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

less wear when heated up yes, but it still has to heat up so will have the same wear at the start everytime until heated up
Nic Barnes

25th Feb 09 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i see what your saying or getting at.
sand-eel

25th Feb 09 at 00:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thank god, its hard to explain really.
sand-eel

25th Feb 09 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think its a government conspiracy, so people take the bus instead
Nic Barnes

25th Feb 09 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

what you are saying i think is....

short journey car warms up to x degrees of oil and water and tranny fluids etc. on long journey it still has to warm up to that point aswell.......
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

25th Feb 09 at 00:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
less wear when heated up yes, but it still has to heat up so will have the same wear at the start everytime until heated up

Basically, a journey of 20miles is better than 10 journeys of 2 miles, because once the engine is upto temp there is a lot less wear for the remaining mileage of the long journey but with the short journeys the engine would never really get upto temperature properly and therefore wear would be worse.

It's more an argument for when you've got one car which has 100k on the clock which has lived on the motorway all it's life compared to a car with say 40k on the clock which some old woman has drove to the shop 5 mins down the road and back again and that's all it's ever been used for. Realistically the 100k motorway car would quite possibly have less engine wear
sand-eel

25th Feb 09 at 00:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
quote:

short journey car warms up to x degrees of oil and water and tranny fluids etc. on long journey it still has to warm up to that point aswell.......

EXACTLY
So in theory should have the same wear to that point.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

25th Feb 09 at 00:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
quote:

EXACTLY
So in theory should have the same wear to that point.

It's after that point were it counts tho, the long journey is still in it's early stages, whereas the short journey has ended and the car is now going to cool down again before doing another short journey later where it will have all the early wear again
Ren

25th Feb 09 at 00:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see it like this.

20 miles in one drive is easier on the engine than 20 single mile drives... I think the damage is supposed to be sustained over long term periods if you understand me.
sand-eel

25th Feb 09 at 00:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but the long journey car will cool down and have early wear again when it does another journey.

Lets put it this way
cold car = 2 wear points per mile
hot car = 1 wear points per mile

so a 2 mile journey = 4 wears points
10 mile journey = 12 wear points
as it still goes through 2 miles and gets 4 wear points but has the extra 8 miles adding 8 wear points so 12 wear points.
Nic Barnes

25th Feb 09 at 00:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but if the oil never gets up to temperature properly ever, it wears stuff out. thats just the way it is.
sand-eel

25th Feb 09 at 00:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think i'll just leave this
It's just that a long journey car will always go through what a short car journey will do every time.
Ren

25th Feb 09 at 00:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
but the long journey car will cool down and have early wear again when it does another journey.

Lets put it this way

as it still goes through 2 miles and gets 4 wear points but has the extra 8 miles adding 8 wear points so 12 wear points.

Yes but the 10 mile car has done 8 extra miles... The cold start car needs to do 10 miles before you compare them.

Put it this way, if you're going per mile then it makes a difference. Using your method, lets say you buy a new car and do 1000 miles in it in one journey, and lets just assume that it takes the car 2 miles to warm up. (So thats 4 points + 998 = 1002 wear points)

Now lets say you spread the 1000 miles over 1000 days (one mile per day), which would equal 2000 wear points in total as the engine never warms up.

Compare the two engines, and even though they've both done the same amount of miles, one is more worn than the other.

[Edited on 25-02-2009 by Ren]
sand-eel

25th Feb 09 at 00:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ren
quote:

Lets put it this way

But if you're going per mile then it makes a difference. Using your method, lets say you buy a new car and do 1000 miles in it in one journey, and lets just assume that it takes the car 2 miles to warm up. (So thats 4 points + 998 = 1002 wear points)

Now lets say you spread the 1000 miles over 1000 days (one mile per day), which would equal 2000 wear points in total as the engine never warms up.

Compare the two engines, and even though they've both done the same amount of miles, one is more worn than the other.

I get it now

I think I was over complicating it for some reason.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Engine wearing theories 22 database queries in 0.0083959 seconds