corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Redtop questions

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Redtop questions
Gazdaman

User status: Offline
20th Mar 09 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, I've just got an XE and am planning a conversion for later in the year.

Oil cooler, to blank it off do I just use any bolts that'll fit where the banjo bolts are just above the oil filter?

Service wise, it's apart, head's off. What should I do? I was planning on valve oil seals, oil, filter, plugs, cam belt and spark plugs. Should I be looking at doing the main bearings and shells?

To get the bottom pulley off, are they male torx bolts? Or are they just special 8mm bolts I can use a normal socket on? Don't wanna damage anything y'see.

It's all so damn dirty! Just need to clean it up, bolt it all together, and drop it into my car

Anyone got any conversion guides they can send over? Is it worth buying one off eBay?

Gaz
alan-g-w

20th Mar 09 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's a toss up between doing the bearings or not, might as well go for it in my opinion - not too clued up on bottom end stuff though.

And the bottom pulley bolts are male torx

[Edited on 20-03-2009 by alan-g-w]
Gazdaman

20th Mar 09 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mmm, ok so I'll need to buy a new tool before I can completely hammerite the block. Damn, anyone what size male torx? There's 2 different sizes there iirc.

I'm tempted to leave the bottom end alone, the engine's only 70k and it was cheap, so I'm tempted to just suck it and see. If they need doing at a later date, I can do.
john_c20xe

20th Mar 09 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you got proof of the 70 k milage?
i would chuck sum shells in while its out to make life easier, something less to go wrong then,
and why dont you want to use the oil cooler?
Gazdaman

20th Mar 09 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I read somewhere that the oil cooler really wasn't necessary. And it's just another thing I have to squeeze in and find somewhere to mount.

And I don't have proof of the mileage no. Just shells isn't too expensive, that's only about £20 for a set. But then if it's mains aswell, that's another £40 or so.

Gaz
john_c20xe

20th Mar 09 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oil cooler isnt hard to fit myte aswell use it
Gazdaman

20th Mar 09 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also how can I tell if my engine is an early or late type?

Been looking into buying a new cam belt, and head bolts recently. And I need to specify which XE I have...How can I tell?

Gaz
dazjones25

22nd Mar 09 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think the earlyer 1's had a dizzy
Luke

22nd Mar 09 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, early type is dizzy & has a round tooth cam pullys & a later type is dis-pac & has square tooth pulleys.

Would recomend doing oil pump & water pump aswell.

If the engine is apart just re-build it.
Terry12

22nd Mar 09 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've fitted the oil cooler on my Corsa, Was simple to fit by making up a couple of brackets.
If you choose to remove the oil cooler you need to remove the big bolt through the middle of the sandwaich plate, iirc it's about a 12mm allen key extension.
The sandwich plate is then removable and you just need to replace the allen bolt for a shorter one. The big bolt is what the oil filter screws onto.

My engine has done a documented 130k so I changed the shells and rod bolts for ARP's. The shells on mine were ever so little worn, Didn't look like 130k miles of use though but still worth replacing.
Terry12

22nd Mar 09 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your pulley bolts are standard then don't use a standard socket, You'll round them like I did on mine evev though I used the correct female torx bit. I had to remove the sprocket and vice the pulley up whilst getting the rounded bolts off.

I've replaced the bolts for cap head bolts, Just make sure you replace them.
Gazdaman

22nd Mar 09 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good tip on the pulley bolts! I'll replace those. I might keep the oil cooler.

Part of me wants to replace the shells, but part of me really doesn't want to do the work.

Gaz
Terry12

22nd Mar 09 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was too easy not to do for me as I planned to get the block on the engine stand paint the block and replace the sump gasket it as 90% of XE's leak through the sump gasket.
Whilst the sump is off it takes 10 mins to replace the shells.

alan-g-w

22nd Mar 09 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I managed to change the bottom pulley bolts without rounding any of them. Just get a bit of penetrating oil in about it, or failing that WD40.

If it was an engine with 130k on it I'd imagine they might be quite buggered though!
Terry12

22nd Mar 09 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah, I was well surprised on the condition of the shells, I'd of guessed 50k on them by looking at them. Original shells too as they were stamped 1989 on them.

I oiled my bolts up but they wouldn't budge. Had to knock smaller torx bit on and hang off them to budge.
I know a lot of people who had the same issue.

[Edited on 22-03-2009 by Terry12]
Gazdaman

22nd Mar 09 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough, I was planning on replacing the sump gasket, and it's on the engine stand, so it's easy enough to turn upside down!

I'll do the damn shells then. Main bearings too?

I suppose I may aswell overhaul the engine now while it's out.

Gaz
Terry12

22nd Mar 09 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just replaced the big ends on mine.
Torsa g

22nd Mar 09 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very rare for a xe main to go wrong to be honest i would just do the big ends and youll be safe with that!
Gazdaman

22nd Mar 09 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Then that's what I shall do! I think mine's a late type XE aswell with a dis-pac and square teeth. Suppose that means I can get cam belt ordered.
moxon508

23rd Mar 09 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you take off the oil cap and look at the saddle holding the cam shaft in there is a circle stamped on it with a date inside stating date of the engine. iy will say 92 if its a 1992
alan-g-w

23rd Mar 09 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gazdaman
Then that's what I shall do! I think mine's a late type XE aswell with a dis-pac and square teeth. Suppose that means I can get cam belt ordered.

Check if it has one idler pulley or two, I got asked that when I phoned up for a belt.

And there are two numbers of teeth on belts - 176 which was mine and another that I forget.

[Edited on 23-03-2009 by alan-g-w]
Gazdaman

31st Mar 09 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Started cleaning up my F20 today, and I found a small hole near the 'sump'. It's that black bit in the middle of the photo. It's about 2.5mm x 2.5mm. Oil doesn't appear to leak out, but I havn't actually had it running yet. Is the gearbox scrap? Could I fill the hole? Or is it fine as it is?
Terry12

31st Mar 09 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's spooky, My F20 has that same hole in the same place
I thought it was damage by a previos owner but as the inner metal wasn't damaged I left it alone.

I've not driven my car yet but have had it running and rolling on the drive with no oil leaking from the hole.
Gazdaman

31st Mar 09 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, it doesn't seem to leak from the hole. So I guess there must be an inner skin in there between the oil and the great outdoors. Not sure though.
Terry12

31st Mar 09 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah there is. Is you remove the sump you'll see it's double skinned and there's a void of around 2-3cm between the 2 skins. It won't leak unless the inner skin get's pierced like on my last F20

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll