corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Starting a business?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Starting a business?
K2 GTi

User status: Offline
5th May 09 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone got their own business?

Looking to start something up with a couple of mates..

Probably something like a portable food snack bar or something?

Anyone got any ideas or where I can find information about things worth starting up?

Really weant to get something started, but haven't a clue what?

Need to look into it I suppose but information welcome

MJFF88

5th May 09 at 08:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you havn't got a clue what you want to do and you're doing it just because you want to, chances are it'll fail.

What do you mean by portable food snack bar?
K2 GTi

5th May 09 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I know, im going to look into it etc, but just dont know what sector..

I mean like cob vans you get... that serves hot food, one that can be moved around.
MJFF88

5th May 09 at 08:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any of you worked in catering?
Cosmo

5th May 09 at 08:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First get the idea, make it something you know about at least a little bit as that'll give you a good starting platform.

Then you have the task of getting into the business...legal formation, start up costs, insurances, etc. etc.
K2 GTi

5th May 09 at 08:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MJFF88

Yeah my mate has...
K2 GTi

5th May 09 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
First get the idea, make it something you know about at least a little bit as that'll give you a good starting platform.

Then you have the task of getting into the business...legal formation, start up costs, insurances, etc. etc.

Yeah, I just want to get something started up TBH mate, we will all take money out to give it a go, but I really don't know what to start up..

im probably thinking above my own head, but like the idea of starting something up, but unsure what.... strange I know, but want to give something a go
Cosmo

5th May 09 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not hard to start something up if you are all willing to work hard and learn new things, so dont let that put you off.

The hard part is making it work, hence why the business being something you know something about is best, as that way you'll know little tricks, the best places to market it, the best offers to put on to make it more popular than the competition, etc.
K2 GTi

5th May 09 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I see what you mean, it's just getting knowledge of something to start it up now, but as I haven';t a clue what to start up it's hard.... lol..

just a brainwave but im willing to leave full time employment for it... am I crazy/
Cosmo

5th May 09 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, as realisitically any new business probably wont give you a proper income for at least a year - especially if a number of you are owning it so any profits are being split.
K2 GTi

5th May 09 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I understand first couple of years can be hard.. I suppose i need to look into it more which is what I was going to do anyway..

Just really want to hammer down on it and get somethingdone, but short of ideas what..
Brett
Premium Member

5th May 09 at 08:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MJFF88

Can't see that mattering tbh. Surely he's talking along the lines of burgers, jacket spuds and sandwiches. Not really a skilled talent.

I'd say go for it if you know some industrial areas that don't currently have a butty van working the area.
swill_omnibus

5th May 09 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How many of you will be in the frontline of serving and prepping the food?

Just remember that you'll need at least a basic food hygiene certificate.

When you know what sector eg burger van etc try and find suitable plot to sell eg local football club maybe on sundays to start? Local school fares if you have a mobile one aswell and so on. Being on hire is an advantage too.

Also, ring around the desired sector in your local area and ask what they charge for certain events and what they sell to give you an idea where to pitch too.
K2 GTi

5th May 09 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A food hygience cert isnt hard to come by, and the industrial estate im on now currently doesn't have one... I mean I could post leaflets around all teh business' around here with a certain time on a daily basis of when we'll drive round to serve food.... don't know if it would work but im going to look into it..

There was a guy who did it before, but doesnt come for some reason anymore but he used to make a killing by aparking up for 10 mins, papping his horn, and people used to fly out for food.
Cosmo

5th May 09 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the legalities of just parking up somewhere and serving food? Do you need some license/permit or something from the council or land owner?
swill_omnibus

5th May 09 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by K2 GTi
A food hygience cert isnt hard to come by, and the industrial estate im on now currently doesn't have one... I mean I could post leaflets around all teh business' around here with a certain time on a daily basis of when we'll drive round to serve food.... don't know if it would work but im going to look into it..

Now that's deffinatly worth looking into, rota it every week!

I use to be a inspector for that sector for a while and we'd close them down instantly without one.

Are easy enough to do though mate so it's always worth it
K2 GTi

5th May 09 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure, but if its portable and not static shouldnt it be ok?

I need to look into this anyway mate
swill_omnibus

5th May 09 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah as because your serving and preparing food for the general public it needs to be done. But it's as cheap as these days and you may find some local pubs host it occasionally.

Good luck though as it's a good sector to get into.

One of my work colleagues brother (work in security now) is doing what your thinking off now and he's got something like 20 plots in the UK now (mainly london) and he's on stupid money like £200,000 a year!!

Brett
Premium Member

5th May 09 at 08:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much would a food hygiene cert set someone back?
K2 GTi

5th May 09 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah

It will start off monday - friday around the local industrial estates to see how we get on.. if people start knowing we will be arriving at a certain time I think it could work well.... ill keep you updated anyway im meeting with one of my mates dad who used to do it and made quite alot of money from it, starting from nothing and ended up with 12 different vans etc....
K2 GTi

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
How much would a food hygiene cert set someone back?

don't think its alot mate, all you have to do is answer some questions too IIRC
Cosmo

If google knows best then can do an online course for something like £25
BigSte

5th May 09 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we just got a new snap van at work...... calls himself the 'bap van' and comes round with the batman theme tune playing....... na na na na na na na narr bap van, etc.

We have at least 6 food vans a day and they are all the same - bap van gets more custom I think cos of the catchy name and everyone remembers him.
swill_omnibus

5th May 09 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BigSte
we just got a new snap van at work...... calls himself the 'bap van' and comes round with the batman theme tune playing....... na na na na na na na narr bap van, etc.

We have at least 6 food vans a day and they are all the same - bap van gets more custom I think cos of the catchy name and everyone remembers him.

That's amazing fairplay!!

Think when i did it it was about £30-£50 and lasts i think 3 years then.
K2 GTi

5th May 09 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Swill you recon its something good to get into then?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Starting a business? 22 database queries in 0.0116351 seconds