corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Interview Advice

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Interview Advice
Neo

User status: Offline
20th May 09 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Morning all

Lucky enough to have an interview this afternoon, kinda taking a backward step into helpdesk/technical support as i'm moving and there isnt much about.

Was told yesterday i'd have a test. Now hands up, i'm crap at being able to explain things that i do, I just do it and know what i have done works, not necersarily why, so explaining it on non technical terms is simple (part of the spec requires it). Whats the best way to handle a question, if i dont know it in technical terms, should i just say i dont know it but know how it works ? Or explain it in simple terms ?
DAZ1985

20th May 09 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Say what you know, but always try to answer the question. If you dont know the answer that shouldn't mean you've failed, its more of a pointer as to want you do and dont know. it might be a question thats knowones answered?

interviews can be tricky as your under pressure, and any answer is better than non as long as its relavent imo
C2RL R

20th May 09 at 08:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best bet is take your time before you answer. consider the question for a moment before committing to an answer. if you are sure you can't explain it fully then give a simple explanation. who will you be providing technical support to? do they need to have an in depth answer? if not then i can't see there being any problems.
Neo

20th May 09 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Daz

Carl, Its technical support in a care home, so nurses who's computer wont turn on etc. They wont need an in depth answer. However in a month or 2 they are starting installing network in a new care home, so will be doing SQL configuration etc which i can do competently but cant explain in technical terms.

I just worry that, even though its customer facing (which i can do well imo) i think they may shoot me up on it.
C2RL R

20th May 09 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the job description doesn't require you to explain what you do. it's not a teaching position. so long as you can do the job competantly then i think you'll be fine. good luck
Neo

20th May 09 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

20th May 09 at 09:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

come on mike if you can do something you must be able to explain how?
Neo

20th May 09 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i can will, but i have issues getting the words out.

I'm hoping that my past experience will benefit more, as they are looking to move to sql 05, which i have just done in the office and at 15 mod sites. Things like that should help.

But an example of what i mean by i cant explain it, setting up a router for example: I know how to make it work, what to put where, but i can never remember what "subnet mask" actually means, but instead know silly facts about router dmz' not being a true dmz etc. My knowledge has come from experience, not teaching.

If all is failing and i have no chance, my back up plan is to flirt with them....if its a women on the other hand i dunno what to do !
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

20th May 09 at 09:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do some reading up then on techincal definitions, stuff like that can loose you the job as its the little details that matter. Something like a subnet mask is quite simple and if you dont know the definition you'll look like an idiot.

The company I work with have got a couple of juniors in here, and they must of blagged part of the interview because they really are crap at what they do.
DAZ1985

20th May 09 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant you do abit of back ground work and find out abit about the company? that normally impresses as its shows willing and abit of knowledge?
Neo

20th May 09 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah read up all about the company and what they do, where there sites are etc. Printing out pages of wikipedia atm to read before i get there lol. Will have an hour or so to just learn stuff
pow
Premium Member

20th May 09 at 10:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is why you were asking me about subnet masks
Neo

20th May 09 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dave

Course
pow
Premium Member

20th May 09 at 10:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could talk for days about subnet masks now.
Colin

20th May 09 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tell them it needs a new flux capacitor on the warp coil & prey that they dont know shit either
Colin

20th May 09 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow

Please dont your boring enough
Neo

20th May 09 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Tell them it needs a new flux capacitor on the warp coil & prey that they dont know shit either

that could be quite amusing !!

Its not as if i'm an idiot, i just dont wanna be caught out and say nothing.
pow
Premium Member

20th May 09 at 10:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
quote:
Originally posted by pow

Please dont your boring enough

Colinnnn
Colin

20th May 09 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh I got a techy question wrong in my last interview & still got the job so I recon if they think your up to in in other areas & thats all that lets you down a little you'll do fine
Brett
Premium Member

20th May 09 at 12:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OMG OMG Just got an interview myself. Haven't had one of those in goin on 5yrs

Same money but on my doorstep. Awesome
C2RL R

20th May 09 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so how's it gone?
Tom G

20th May 09 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got two interviews coming up one's more money too

Can't be that hard to get a job nowadays??
Paul_J

20th May 09 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd try swatting up on the technical jargon in the area's the job is in... just incase you get asked a random question to catch you out...

I remember the bloke asking me the difference between black box and white box testing and it was something i had double checked the night before as I always get the two confused.

But I totally know what you mean... I just do stuff, I often don't know the technical terms for it. Inheritance / Composition / Polymorphism / Encapsulation / Overloading etc are all terms regarding to programming, I've done them all, but trying to explain or give an example of each is a bit

--- Best bet is to just be honest. If you know it, wow them. If you don't, say 'Hmm, I'm not sure - is it this...?' At least if you take a guess it shows initiative and if you explain the thing the same as what they're talking about, it proves you know what your doing. Some may prefer this, rather than some swat who's just memorised his textbook and knows all the jargon, but wouldn't know how to do anything in practice.
Neo

1st Jun 09 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry to bump this but i have news:

Went along, went really well and they seemed impressed

The agency gave me a call 2 days later and said the company wants to offer me the job and she is just waiting on recieving the forms to forward to me (brightened up my hols in scotland and made me really look forward to moving and everything)

Didnt hear back, called on thursday (8 days after interview), woman at the agency said they company decided to only offer a 2 month contract, at pph (basically temping)

Fucked off doesnt even cover how annoyed I am. Any advice peoples ? I know i can't really do much about it, and current climate i cannot risk leaving a perm job and going temp.
pow
Premium Member

1st Jun 09 at 10:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have 2 job interviews on Wednesday.

Shitting it doesnt cover it.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Interview Advice 22 database queries in 0.0197291 seconds