corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » I could do with a few opinions (Subaru related)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I could do with a few opinions (Subaru related)
J da Silva

User status: Offline
5th Jul 09 at 00:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not driven a modified motor for atleast 5 years (ish), I just stopped as it was a fad I went through in my younger years. I'm a little older now, with a bit more time on my hands, I've have previously owned RS Turbo's, c20let's and various other high performance vehicles, back then I think I just did it as it was the fashion so to speak...

I currently drive a Mitsubishi Warrior, which I use to commute allover for my work but just alately I've been fancying a new car, but have an urge to buy a good conditioned Scooby Turbo, one that's been well looked after I guess, to save future maintenance.

I've no confidence in the sellers on ebay and such like, and fresh imports with no history are a risk IMO, so I was wondering if any of you lot had some good knowledge of the Subaru world and the general things to consider, ie... best model, what's a good price/value for money, common faults to look at/ask about... you know, the general lingo and facts etc...

Any tips and pointers would be taken onboard and appreciated.

p.s. I'm also swaying towards an Audi A3 Turbo, a family man should never have this dilemma.

[Edited on 05-07-2009 by J da Silva]
richc

5th Jul 09 at 01:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much you willing to spend? Want a new car or a tunned up old one wit loads of power? etc

Warriors are very tractor like If you need it for work get a D40 nissan navara adventura
Doug

5th Jul 09 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A3 turbo's are boring as hell to drive. Many of the standard Subaru's are also fairly boring to drive until you start to look up into the WRX and STi areas
CORSA NUT

5th Jul 09 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doug
A3 turbo's are boring as hell to drive. Many of the standard Subaru's are also fairly boring to drive until you start to look up into the WRX and STi areas

What a load of shite

Agree that the A3 Turbo is boring to drive as i've had one.Let me take you out my my UK Turbo and we'll see how boring it is compared to a 318i BMW though i'm sure i'll have my work cut out with you living in the fast lane.

[Edited on 05-07-2009 by CORSA NUT]
Wrighty

5th Jul 09 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much you wana spend and what style do you like?

classic
bug
blob
hawk
hatch
richc

5th Jul 09 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Blob ftw
DaveyLC

5th Jul 09 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use parkers as a guide for the price for the year you want (there are alot of dreamers out there and also alot of stupid people who will pay the ridiculous asking prices)..

Best advice I can offer:

If its an import check that the mileage is reflected the condition, look at pedal rubber wear, seat boulsters, 'heel' carpet etc.

Make sure the seller lets you start it from cold, if you get there and the engine is warm walk away! Piston slap is very very common in EJ20 so you really need to hear the engine from cold..

Take the car for a drive, make sure the radio, fans etc. etc. are all off and wind up the windows, listen for any transmission whine..

If the engine and gear box sound good they probably are, then its just a case of does it feel right and does it go well.. The standard WRX should feel quick just not throw you into the back seats quick.

Personally I'd say go for a UK car with a full history and tune it.

Its worth noting the cambelt is due every 45k miles and the water pumps tend to fail so that should be done at the same time really.

[Edited on 05-07-2009 by DaveyLC]
Marc

5th Jul 09 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
quote:
Originally posted by Doug

What a load of shite

Have to agree, my brother had a standard UK Turbo and it wa sstill fast. Out of the box how many other cars for the money can better it?

Especially when you're in the passenger seat a standard Impreza is anything but boring.
CORSA NUT

5th Jul 09 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mines for sale BTW J da silva
Wrighty

5th Jul 09 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

what, youve only just got it? after regretting selling up your other one
ChazSXi

5th Jul 09 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont regret buying mine at all...

has had 4 owners but full Subaru Service History, no expense spared by the loks of it all...new clutch/belts done at correct time etc...new disks n pads all round..

74k genuine miles for £3250! Good price IMO

Happened to notice it has a full hayward and scott system, f/r anti roll bars, eibach springs and anti caster kit

I didnt know a thing about scoobs going to buy one..aka problems etc.

just buy a well looked after low mileage example and if classic go for the facelift and UK Turbo and fingers crossed it will do ya well!

Heres mine...as you can see she is pretty clean for her age

CORSA NUT

5th Jul 09 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
quote:

what, youve only just got it? after regretting selling up your other one

Yeah 5 months Wrighty I just get bored easily mate...hence the motorbike idea now.The thing is i sold my last one because it was too old and i wanted a facelifted car and now i miss the 320 BHP of my last one and can't afford to make mine quicker Well i can but money is better spent elswere at the moment.
Jay

5th Jul 09 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
compared to a 318i BMW though i'm sure i'll have my work cut out with you living in the fast lane.

J da Silva

5th Jul 09 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

How much are you wanting for it?

Could you tell me some information about the car?
J da Silva

5th Jul 09 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
Use parkers as a guide for the price for the year you want (there are alot of dreamers out there and also alot of stupid people who will pay the ridiculous asking prices)..

Best advice I can offer:

If its an import check that the mileage is reflected the condition, look at pedal rubber wear, seat boulsters, 'heel' carpet etc.

Make sure the seller lets you start it from cold, if you get there and the engine is warm walk away! Piston slap is very very common in EJ20 so you really need to hear the engine from cold..

Take the car for a drive, make sure the radio, fans etc. etc. are all off and wind up the windows, listen for any transmission whine..

If the engine and gear box sound good they probably are, then its just a case of does it feel right and does it go well.. The standard WRX should feel quick just not throw you into the back seats quick.

Its worth noting the cambelt is due every 45k miles and the water pumps tend to fail so that should be done at the same time really.

[Edited on 05-07-2009 by DaveyLC]

Yeah, I'm with you... a few on scoobynet are engine tappers, hence their lowered asking price, tbh I'm never prepared to buy a car to get work done on it unless I'm rebuilding it from scratch, tbh I miss my c20let'd corsa in terms of power and maintenance, but I fell out with the whole idea of tuning cars etc... and I never really drove it on the public roads anyway, just took it to tracks around UK etc...

Andy Stocker

6th Jul 09 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine is also for sale
J da Silva

6th Jul 09 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a nice scoob Andy, I like the general appearance of it, bonnet is unusual but doesn't look out of touch with the car at all.
Wrighty

6th Jul 09 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH, its a minefield

if your lookin to buy any impreza with high-ish miles prepare for the worst, and budget for a rebuild as it could spin a bearing any day

imo, buy one with a blown engine cheap and have allan jeffrey do you a 2.1 stroker based on your current block for £2050

no more worries then and youve got an engine thats capable of 400 with a decent turbo

alot are old and sheds, to get a decent one your looking at spending a lot (on a classic anyway) and thats if you find one.

what more do you want to know?
J da Silva

6th Jul 09 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well money isn't really a problem, but that doesn't mean I'm prepared to be analized.

I've found a few good ones, but I've purposely sought out the proper enthusiasts and middle aged owners.
I might leave it a bit and see if these urges die down, before I buy one.

I think you lot have pretty much covered it, thanks.
Wrighty

6th Jul 09 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

having been in the same situation mate, id honestly advise

makin sure its got full history & low miles then. waiting for the right one

its a buyers market atm for the run off the mill ones but the good ones are still holding their price.

ps. dont believe everything you read on scoobynet, you wouldnt believe how many of them havnt really got a clue. 22b.com for technical stuff, or the boys over the pond know their stuff on rs25.com
J da Silva

8th Jul 09 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, little update, the urges have gotten stronger
I've seen a nice P1 2 door for £6500, 13k miles after rebuild and it's a 2001 plate, I may just go for it, but does that sound a good deal?
Everything sounds good, no knocks or hisses, really threw me back and stuck me to the seat, 303bhp according to his print outs so everything seesm cosher.
DaveyLC

8th Jul 09 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats a good price for a P1! Make sure its genuine and its got history.
Steve X16XE

9th Jul 09 at 00:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Best advice I can offer:

That's some good information for me there. My Scoob is waiting for a standard backbox to arrive so I can get it through the MOT then get it up for sale. It'll stand for a while then when I give it a wash i'll start it up and it just purrs away. No knocking noises from anywhere. I'm going to give it a service before I stick it through the MOT. It should be fun getting to the plugs.
J da Silva

11th Jul 09 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Thats a good price for a P1! Make sure its genuine and its got history.

Yes, got everything with it, it's completely standard, and it's owned by a middle aged man who has no intention of doing doughnuts and burnouts for his chavved up friends.
He just needs to get rid asap as he's moving to New Zealand, so he's only got about 3 weeks left to sell it, tbh I don't think I'd find a P1 with a rebuild 13k ago for this price anywhere soon. Picking it up Tuesday, will report back. Thanks for the advice folks.
Wrighty

12th Jul 09 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stanrad but its making above standard power? you HPI'd it just to make sure its not a cat d/c yeah?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » I could do with a few opinions (Subaru related) 22 database queries in 0.2529790 seconds